Should I rent to a tenant with a medical issue?

Should I rent to a tenant with a medical issue?

Investor · Chickasha, OK · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I have a possible tenant who meets all the requirements but they have mentioned they have MS and that they have had trouble renting due to this. Are there any issues I could run into by renting to this person?

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
I'm pretty sure discriminating based on an illness would be a violation of fair housing law.
See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    I'm pretty sure discriminating based on an illness would be a violation of fair housing law.
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    MS can put people in a wheelchair. Is the house barrier free? Can it be made that way? Sometimes, properties are completely impractical for someone with a physical disability. Other than that, I'd say go for it.

  • Realtor · NY · Member since 2020 · 167 posts · 169 votes
    6y

    Hi Noah, the fact that the tenant was honest enough to tell you before locking you into a lease is a testament of their character. By all means, I would rent to them. I am going to assume that the biggest needed is ADA type compliance. I would totally rent to that tenant

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 130 votes
    6y

    Tread very carefully, my friend. Just by asking this question in a public forum you're butting up awfully close to discrimination pursuant to The Fair Housing Act.

    FHA prohibits discrimination in housing based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familiail status, and disability.

    There are some exemptions, but you'll want to be certain you're on the right side of those if you're going to use them.

    Now, with that said, you aren't required to bend over backwards and make obscene concessions just to make the property usable. I believe the phrasing is: "reasonable accomodations". That is, say they need a wheelchair, you can accomodate them by allowing them to install their own ramp, but you aren't necessarily required to build it yourself.

    Might be wise to brush up on the Fair Housing Act and chat with a lawyer to understand the nuances in your particular area.

    If I was in your shoes, I'd ask: "Are there any legitimate reasons I might not want to rent to this person (credit, evictions, felony, etc...)" If so, then there's your out. If not, then heck, they'll probably be a great tenant.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    What would MS have to do with having a hard time renting?  I'd ask them flat out.  

    I'd be really leery of any applicant telling me they've had a hard time renting due to a disability.  I'd want to know exactly what they were referring to.  All that matters is their income and their past referrals and their credit report.  I'd wonder what on earth they were trying to impress upon me by mentioning problems related to their disability as to applying to other properties.  That would be a major red flag to me, as if they were trying to get away with something.

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    @Noah Willard my first thought is that they told you this, hoping you wouldn’t rent to them and they can sue the pants off you for fair housing violation.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Noah Willard Have you actually ran the candidates credit, criminal, income, and eviction background to verify what they are claiming? If not, I would wait until you have all of their information before giving all of this a second thought. If everything does end up checking out I would rent to the person regardless of any limitations they may have. 

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Noah Willard

    Get a copy of the Fair Housing Act and another copy of your local landlord/tenant laws. A person with MS is still a human being and has the rights to live in a home/apartment like the rest of us so long as they qualify.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    There's no reason why you shouldn't rent to them. If they end up in a wheelchair and your place doesn't work for them, they can move to a place that does. In the meantime, they could be a great tenant for years.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    @Noah Willard they meet all the qualifications, so I am not sure what else there is to discuss? People live with this disease for many years in a high functioning manner holding a job. 

    Just the nature of this question shows you are dangerously uneducated to be managing rental properties. I suggest you attend some fair housing training and maybe even Google "MS how long can you live". Knowledge is power.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    If they meet all the requirements, I would rent to them.  Let them know the house is as is in that you will do repairs, but will not be making any improvements. At least where I am, if a tenant becomes disabled after they sign the lease, you are not required to make any modifications to the home.  You can let them out of the lease.

    One of my friend's husband has MS and was diagnosed years ago.  He shows very few symptoms and is very active.

  • Eric AndersonPro Member
    Baltimore County, MD · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Noah -

    When the person says they have MS and have trouble with renting in the past, they are most likely talking about physical barriers within the dwelling which made the rental not work for them.

    People with MS have good and bad days, its not typically a static disease compared to a spinal cord injury. Some days they might not need an assistive device to ambulate but other days they may need a walker or even a wheelchair.

    Tenants with physical disabilities typically do not move once they find a rental which works well for them since there is a shortage of accessible housing. Ask the tenant what features are important to them in a rental and see if you can accommodate.

    You are not required to make accommodations for the tenant but you need to allow the tenant to make the accommodations at their expense. If those changes hurt marketability for future tenants, you can require the tenant to undo the changes at their expense.

    I spend my professional life working was consultant specializing in residential accessible housing (rentals, acquisitions, modifications) so reach out directly if you have any questions or need further info.


  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Look out for Fair Housing Act violations on that. I'd rent to them. But define "trouble renting." Is that trouble keeping a job and paying the rent? Or is that just mobility issues? If your place is conducive to their physical limitations, they will probably stay a long time and be great tenants!

  • Investor · Chickasha, OK · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thank you all for the information.

    I understand the fair housing law and I basically wanted to know if there would be any issues after the application approval moving forward.

    I titled this discussion very wrong but again thank you for the information.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Noah Willard:

    I have a possible tenant who meets all the requirements but they have mentioned they have MS and that they have had trouble renting due to this. Are there any issues I could run into by renting to this person?

    Everyone seems to being "nice" and very PC on how they respond to you on this, I am going to be honest and educating; what the hell were you thinking when you blasted out across the net what reads as consideration for tenant discrimination for disabled persons!?!?!?! That is stupid Noah, epically stupid, so stupid that if you don't get how stupid it is then you must stop all landlord actions immediately, hire a P.M. and just do what they say. 

    And as an FYI, most of my best tenants ever were with a disability of one form or fashion, I have no clue why you would ever even question if someone having MS would be an issue for tenancy. If one of my kids asked me exactly what you did, word for word, I would have smacked them upside the head, literally.... It's so baffling that I verge on thinking it's trolling or maybe I am just hoping so....

    Is this maybe a bit harsh, I sure hope so, because if you ever get sued or prosecuted for such a thing it will be so much more painful and devastating than getting told to pull your head out of your butt and get a clue.  

  • Greg TodrankPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Noah Willard

    This thread should begin with “I have a friend that...”

  • Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Vicino just ensure the tenant understands you are renting the property as is and you are not implying it is suitable for their medical needs ,you are a house landlord not a hospital or a facility for ppl with disabilities this should include their heating and cooling needs. Thi

    Ensure that any modifications for disability access they make with your permission are reversible and they agree to reverse these modifications at their expense and not leave you your property with rails and other modifications which an able bodied person will not want in their home if you need to find a new tenant in the future and ensure that all reversal of modifications are done in a professional manor and you are not left with silicone preventing windows from closing or anything else for that matter.

    You should have everything documented and signed by tenant or the legal carer .

  • Rental Property Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @Jill F. I actually know for a fact it is

  • Rental Property Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @Noah Willard if they meet all your requirements I don’t think their medical history is a legitimate reason to deny them .

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    6y

    No problem renting to this qualified tenant.  On the other hand, if they are qualified by your standards, you will have issues if you discriminate against their health status. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.