Home Destroyed by tornado 9 days after purchase. What to expect?

Home Destroyed by tornado 9 days after purchase. What to expect?

Member since 2017 路 7 posts 路 1 vote

Bought a fixer upper. Started doing some remodeling, then a tornado came and tore the roof. Water poured into the attic. Soaked the insulation. Ceilings collapsed. Walls were dripping. Cabinets coming off, garage door broken, ac no longer cooling, gutters gone, window seals blown... Contractor estimated the repair cost to be roughly equal to the appraised amount. 

I'm nervous to file an insurance claim. I don't know if it was due to the pandemic or what, but neither the lender or the insurer sent anyone out to inspect the property during the purchase. I probably shouldn't have been approved for a loan, given the condition of the property (major foundation issue). Obviously I need to file a claim, but I'm nervous about what they might say upon their first time seeing the property. 

The damage from the storm plus the remodel in progress has it looking like a trap house. 

It was livable at the time of purchase. Only major problem was the foundation. Roof was good, no leaks, windows were good. I didn't lie at all when getting the insurance (never asked questions about foundation) and the lender never asked me anything after the appraisal. So I didn't do anything wrong. I'm just nervous because I've never made a claim before, and the damage is so extensive and it's so soon after moving in. 

Can anyone help me understand what I can expect in the claims process for a situation like this? 


0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 Los Angeles, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 2k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
6y

You need to file the claim ASAP. Do not wait another day. Waiting can only have a negative affect on your claim.

There really isn't a need to worry. The insurance company knows there was a tornado in the area. You're not the first person to file a claim right after insurance went into effect. A claim is statistically just as likely to be filed on the first day insurance starts as any other day in the policy year. You're also not the first person to have this happen during a remodel.

If you removed anything for the remodel, the adjuster will want to know. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Los Angeles, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 2k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    6y

    You need to file the claim ASAP. Do not wait another day. Waiting can only have a negative affect on your claim.

    There really isn't a need to worry. The insurance company knows there was a tornado in the area. You're not the first person to file a claim right after insurance went into effect. A claim is statistically just as likely to be filed on the first day insurance starts as any other day in the policy year. You're also not the first person to have this happen during a remodel.

    If you removed anything for the remodel, the adjuster will want to know. 

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR庐 路 Brockport, NY 路 Member since 2015 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Zane Paul

    File the claim. You aren't entertaining dinner guests it's an insurance adjuster :)

    Not like you can fake a tornado. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Clarksville, TN 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Zane Paul

    File your claim and stop oversharing. Remarks about a bank should have never lent on it can raise questions about why it was insurable. You don't want to draw extra attention to yourself since a good faith mistake of facts or accidental omission on an application can look like fraud in the wrong light. Make your claim and hope your luck improves!

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Northeast PA 路 Member since 2017 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    Hope your insurance policy is for replacement value.

    And yes, file your claim, and DON'T volunteer any information!

  • Member since 2017 路 7 posts 路 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you for your reassurance.

    The policy is indeed for replacement value and thank God it is, because I was ready to select depreciated value for the lower premium when I was shopping around. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2020 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    I would file asap, I'm assuming you aren't the only one on the block who got hit and you had no way of knowing that a tornado was about to strike.  This may actually work in your favor but I would hurry up and act, the longer you wait the more suspicious I would find it.  

  • Severna Park, MD 路 Member since 2013 路 7k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
    6y

    I would be carefull , its awfull sketchy that the house was destroyed after just 9 days .  I just want to know what you used to attract the tornado ?

  • Member since 2017 路 7 posts 路 1 vote
    6y
    Originally posted by @Adam Martin:

    I would file asap, I'm assuming you aren't the only one on the block who got hit 

    No sir, about 80% of the town is damaged. Only reason I didn't file the next day is I wanted to get an estimate of the damage before I wasted a claim. Turns out I know nothing about estimating repairs after a tornado (what a shocker 馃槖), the contractor said $80-90k in damage. The appraised value was $93,000 when I got the loan, estimated replacement cost is $144,000, so we'll see which way insurance wants to go. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 路 15k+ posts 路 11k+ votes
    6y

    File the claim and as others said, don't volunteer information.  Answer questions honestly, with a yes or no.  The fact that they didn't inspect the property before insuring it is their problem.

  • Insurance Agent 路 Norwalk, CT 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Zane, Photograph everything. It could be a while for an adjuster to get there. Find out if you can dispose of debris after photographing or if you have to keep it until the adjuster gets there. If there are things that need to get done to preserve the property (board it up, etco..) or stop the damage (tear out wet insulation,...) it is likely that the company would approve the costs but I recommend checking it first. Even though your policy is at Replacement Cost, they will only pay that amount if you rebuild. Until it is rebuilt the policy will likely only pay the Actual Cash Value (Replacement minus Depreciation). Once you complete the rebuild they will pay the remainder.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.