• Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Adding More Children after Lease is Signed

Nicole Clemens
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Jun 17 2020, 06:23

On June 10th aka last week, I secured a new tenant for my really nice, 3bdrm house in a B+ neighborhood.  She is a woman in her late 50s/early 60s who has (long term, temporary) custody of her 3 grandchildren (ages 14, 12 and 9).  She receives money through the state for the children.  Everything checked out when I first met her....good credit, clean background, no evictions, etc.  She seemed like a nice person and a good fit.  I received a deposit from her and everything seemed to be going smoothly until about 2 days before she moved in when she had made a few statements that seemed odd but nothing too alarming.  i.e.  Her son is a roofer.  I asked for his number to get a few estimates from him.  She hesitated to give it to me and then told me that she 'didn't really want him to know yet that she was moving in'.   

Anyhow, the day she moved in, I stopped down to drop of few things off to her and I noticed that there were about 8 people in the house (4 woman and 4 kids).  All of the kids were 6 and under so they weren't any of the kids that she named on the lease.  Those kids were not there.  I went into the master bedroom and there were 3 beds in that room.  It looked like a bedroom for small children as it was decorated very princess-y (again, the listed minor occupants ages were 14, 12 and 9).  I didn't say anything because for all I knew they were just there helping her on moving day.  

Fast forward to 2 days after she moved in.....she calls me and tells me that the state wants her to take in 2 more of her grandkids or else they are going to be put into foster care.  She sounds like she's fake crying on the phone.  Then when I question her she starts stuttering and fumbling her words.  I asked her the names and ages of the 2 additional kids (her grandkids)....she says she doesn't remember which ones (what?!)....then I ask her which ones are already living with her and she kept stuttering and literally could not come up with their names.  

Clearly Im being scammed.   Im just not sure exactly what she is trying to pull.  

My question is:  Do I have the right to reject the additional kids?  I might not do that under normal circumstances but in this situation I definitely feel that she has lied to me and trying to get over on me.  My lease states that I can charge $100 per person for anyone not named on the lease.  

Loading replies...