What’s apps or websites are you guys using for collecting rents.

What’s apps or websites are you guys using for collecting rents.

Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes

Like the title says. I am looking for insight on what’s working for you guys for collecting rents. I am using Venmo, and want to have a more professional approach. Something like Cozy. I’ve heard good things about Cozy-and it’s free for landlords, which is a bonus.

0Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y

I use greasy cash in my hot little hand.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    6y

    I've used Cozy and had no issues.

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Soh Tanaka

    Good to know. I’m going to give it a run and see the tenants feedback.

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    I know some folks have even used apps like Venmo and PayPal. Not sure which route you are looking for, but here are some options. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    I use greasy cash in my hot little hand.

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Marlen Weber

    This is my current avenue. Was looking for some other options. I see some that proved reminders and even auto late fees. And apps like Cozy are free**. I am wondering how “free” these apps are. Lol

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Jim K.

    Haha I’m assuming that’s a solid way of saying cash money 💁🏽‍♂️

  • Real Estate Agent · Odenton, MD · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Smartmove or PayPal 

  • Real Estate Agent · Shelbyville, KY · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley I use Smartmove for screening but also like Cozy a lot for rent collection

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley

    Venmo and PayPal. And fb messenger PayPal too. Easy peasy. Two of mine pay me in cash which I like too!

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Lauren Billups

    Never heard of that one! I will look into it. Thanks Lauren l

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @John Morgan

    Cash is King 👑 bro. We all know that. With Cozy is there any processing fee on either side of the transactions, or is it as free as they say?

  • Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley for our properties we use a site called Avail. It's been great. They charge us a flat rate and no fees to the tenants for paying online etc. They send tenants notices each month and take care of adding late fees if the tenant falls behind. They also allow for maintenance requests and lease tracking. It's been a great one stop shop for all our properties.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley

    No fees with any of these cash apps unless you want a quicker transfer. 2-3 biz days seems to be the standard time it takes to hit hour account.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley - I have used Cozy for the last two years, and it’s been great! Free to me, free to tenants, nice tracking, and reminders to the tenants. One of my tenants mentioned they really appreciate the option to pay by credit card, too.

    That said, for my LTR, I’m moving from a “whole house” lease to an “individual room” lease, and it appears Cozy and Zillow don’t allow for multiple rents on one property (unless each tenant sees everyone else’s rent—not my preference). Am planning to use Zelle or Venmo rather than PayPal, given PayPal charges a substantial fee if the tenant uses the “goods/services” option to send the rent payment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Christina Smith: I use Zelle for multiple units. Goes directly into your bank.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley I use Avail.co. It is an excellent website that allows you to syndicate your advertising, screen tenants, collect rent, and receive maintenance requests. It’s free or for $5/mo per unit you get expedited transactions and a web portal among some other benefits. I just started land lording and this platform has been a big part of my system.

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Nastase

    That’s really helpful dude. Thanks! I’m going to use Cozy and Avail to start and see which I prefer. Thanks for the info!

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Christina Smith

    Thanks for such a detailed message. So helpful.

  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @John Morgan

    Thanks dude! We never know how “free” things truly are.

  • Investor · Midwest · Member since 2019 · 339 posts · 226 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley we use Cozy, it's been great.  The tenant will pay a fee IF they use a CC to pay but otherwise it's truly "free" in that Cozy holds the money for 3-5 days.

    We started using Housters for property management. It's great because it also has an app so we can do everything on the fly. We haven't used their rent collection / screening service yet because we have Cozy. 

    Housters is $1 per door up to 40 doors then it's a flat rate per month of $40. They have a 3 month trial so worth the look.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Christina Smith

    Yes it does. Set up the property as a multi unit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley that’s what I did as well. The obvious pros to Avail over Cozy is the layout, ease of use, lease creator, and syndication. The advantage of Cozy over Avail is the cheaper cost of running all the background checks. I talked to Avail an they are currently developing a phone app too which will be nice. 

  • Chad LundquistPro Member
    Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Carl Millsap

    I've used Cozy and it was great, but it's not free for the tenants. They were being charged 2.5% so I switched to Avail. They charged me $9.95 for the first unit and $6.95 for each unit after. Not terrible, but I kept looking and found Tenant Cloud. They're amazing. I pay $9/ month for all of my units, it's easy to set up (& free for tenants), tracks my leases, allows for document storage, maintenance requests, communication, etc. The only thing I've found that they're not great at is the accounting part so I use Stessa for that and it's free.

    I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

  • Trey KlaussPro Member
    Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Kelley:

    Like the title says. I am looking for insight on what’s working for you guys for collecting rents. I am using Venmo, and want to have a more professional approach. Something like Cozy. I’ve heard good things about Cozy-and it’s free for landlords, which is a bonus.

    Daniel, we use Tenantcloud. They have a free version, however there are a couple of fee versions based on your portfolio size as well. We do the standard package which allows credit card payments, credit/background reports, links in contractors for requests, and generates monthly reports, invoices and it handles marketing the vacant properties, etc. 

  • Vassalboro, ME · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Kelley I just have tenants deposit directly into my bank account. I setup a separate checking account for each building. With my bank's online services it makes everything super easy. Makes accounting easy and no need to wait for the money.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.