Biggest mistakes learned from first Rental?

Most Popular Reply

San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

My biggest mistake was renting out my primary home and hiring a PM when I moved out of state.  Lost my shirt trusting the PM.  Total nightmare.  I'd never own out of state again unless I was managing it myself and could afford to travel there whenever necessary.

But, basically, the lesson, in my opinion, is to self-manage.  The only time I think it's okay to delegate, would be if the manager was actually your employee and not someone who makes money from your losses.  Hire someone as an employee and give them bonuses for helping you profit, instead.  

Unfortunately, the way the traditional PM situation/contract is set-up, the PM only makes money when you lose money and have problems.  It's not fair for the PM either - why on earth would someone do that much work for only 10% or less of the rental amount?  Think about it.  It's absurd.  Nobody should be expected to do that, and it's obvious why the industry is full of con artists - because it's the only way they can make any decent wage for what they do.

So, hire someone and pay them a fair wage.  Or, self-manage, is my opinion.

See this reply in the discussion

136 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 119 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    @Courtney Walker agreed. We do the same but $500.

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Caleb Heimsoth oof I been looking at turnkey. Glad I’m read these posts. Seems to good to be true?

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Antonio A.:

    @Caleb Heimsoth oof I been looking at turnkey. Glad I’m read these posts. Seems to good to be true?

    it is.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Sue K. At what point do you think it is cost effective to hire a PM? How many doors? Would a 20 unit apartment building make sense? Thanks

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @David Shiling By in the best area you can with the money you have to work with. If your strategy is long term buy and hold what will stand the test of time is an area where the tenant pool is quality enough to produce good tenants every time you turn the unit over. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @David Shiling. A tenant paid his full security deposit and first month rent. Written on a check by his sister through a trust account. Funds were good. Verified employment. Payments were almost non-existent for the 4 months he was there. He lived with his sister beforehand (late 30’s/40ish). My mistake not doing better checking-(credit check) he presented well. I know now well placed policies protect lapses in judgement (emotions). Have learned. Tenants can make mistakes in their lives but you want to rent to them after they’ve learned.

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly Carver:

    @Alex Olson hi ! I have been looking into this for our rental. What is the benefit of requiring rental insurance ?

    So tenants have coverage if another tenant has an altercation with them - theft, break in, water damage, dog bite, assault etc...

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Jason Gonzales I am learning this rather quickly. The amount of time spent and the quality of work is just not the same. I have decided to outsource those jobs for sure now and it is also nice since you  are also helping another fellow professional in their field. That is why I love real estate because we get money and then we give money to the others in the community and then economy as well!

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @James Allen this is an amazing tips list. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with us! 

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Joe Moore thank you very much for sharing the experiences with us!

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @John Morgan Hey John, what are some recommendations you would give to be a stronger landlord? 

    What would you say were your weaknesses with this tenant?

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Joseph Walsh Thank you Joseph! 

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Eva Neikirk Oh wow that sounds like a rough go around for sure?

    What kind of qualification questions are you asking that you feel benefited in getting better tenants? 

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring Thank you very much for sharing with us!

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Caleb Heimsoth Hey Caleb why would you not buy turn key properties? What experiences did you have with that?

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Joseph Crunkilton Thank you and why is that? To see if there is any backups or issues?

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Liran Afergan 

    Thank you so much for the great information and for sharing your knowledge with us!

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Michael Noto  Thank you Michael that is a very good point. I appreciate you sharing that with us!

  • Realtor · Wellington, FL · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Kathryne Omaits Thank you very much for sharing that with us!

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    I included a "pain in the butt" fee for stupid things I shouldn't have to help them with. For example, a complaint about the central air not working and when I arrive it's the complaint is the cold air return isn't pushing out air.  It's not supposed to... so "unnecessary support fee" is applied.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    6y

    @David Shiling

    Correct. A home inspection does not typically do that and a sewer issue is a major repair. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @David Shiling

    In addition to Zillow background and credit check, I interview them as to why moving, how long they plan to stay...I googled how to screen for a prospective tenant and got really good information. And I do call previous landlord and references, verify employment.  One lady was indeed mid-eviction!

    I do pre qualify by phone as to income requirements, deposit amounts, term of lease, credit and criminal history...ie, I let them know that the checks are required and if they still want to apply, go to Zillow. I don’t make appointment to show the unit unless they pre-qualify.

    And I observe them touring the property.  Example: one guy who had 2 preschoolers was really nice and positive, but he had to coax his wife out of the car to see the property, and even then she barely glanced at it. I took this as an indication of how she would treat the property, so I kept interviewing other applicants.

    That night I was still working on the units and got a call from a guy eager to see it. He was very neat, polite, attentive and had a good job and rental history. He has been a great tenant now for 2 years and plans to get married soon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @David Shiling not including capex in my analysis

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    If this is your first time managing a property, definitely read Brandon Turners book on managing rental properties. It was a huge help for me the first time and it comes with a lot of the forms you will be using as a manager. I still refer to this book when I have management questions

    Remember, nobody looks at the lease when things are going well, it is only used when things are going wrong, so build in a lot of protection for yourself and add in language for any common rental problems (deposit return, pet restrictions, notifying you of any problems, move outs, renewals, etc.)

    Pet fees, we charge $250 per pet (up to 2 pets), non-refundable. Important to call it a fee when it is non-refundable and a deposit if it is refundable

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    First rental - if you decide to sell to the tenant make sure it is for the right reasons and at current market value. 

    Most important that hasn't been mentioned yet is to be sure the lease penalizes bad behavior including passing on all any costs of ordinance violations to the tenant. so if you get fined for their behavior, they pay. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.