Flipper/Rehabber · Brighton, MI · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 0 votes
Would love to hear how the BP landlord community is showing houses right now that are in markets with very high demand. My property is tenant occupied and will not be vacant until Aug 15th. I would like to get a renter in there as soon as the other tenant leaves. Typically I would coordinate with the existing tenant and have 1 or 2 open houses, however with social distancing and being respectful to hygiene practices that seems impossible. Maybe setup virtual showings? Maybe I should just wait until my tenant has vacated the house and try to show the house at a limited capacity (although that would cost me a couple weeks of rent). Would love any and all feedback. Thanks guys.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y
I've been trying to do more walk-through videos. In fact, I bought a 360 camera and use that to shoot 360 images and walk-through videos. It enables people to see the rental completely and in context, which greatly reduces the need to see it in person.
Property Manager · MD · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 125 votes
6y
I know some management companies are still doing showings but space out each viewer. Maybe now is the time to only do vacant viewings. Here are the benefits of vacant viewings besides the pandemic issue.
-place shows better
-less likely to go stale and be viewed suspiciously due to too many days on market
-less work orders are generated.this way
-if it doesn't rent you know it's price related and not related to the current bed sheets etc.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y
I've been trying to do more walk-through videos. In fact, I bought a 360 camera and use that to shoot 360 images and walk-through videos. It enables people to see the rental completely and in context, which greatly reduces the need to see it in person.
Investor · Houston · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 11 votes
6y
Hi @Adam Heseltine, Im currently doing a house hack, when I show my rooms, I typically block off a couple of hours at the same time every day and inform my tenants before hand so they can make plans to either protect themselves when a tour comes through or simply not be around. I also perform virtual tours via Facebook messenger, its a good way to do live video tour and have questions answered on the spot for perspective tenants without having to have their contact info, not to mention doing a bit of peeing as to how they live on their FB feed.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
6y
If you are doing showings, require face masks and bring disinfectant to wipe down surfaces that people touch. If the tenant is uncomfortable, I wouldn't push it. Video walk through is your best bet.
I been trying to work a duplex for over a month and the listing agent said the tenant will not let me in even when i showed i been recently tested and show negative results. Im not sure what can be done with the tenant out right refuses...how would i even perform inspection or have an apprasier enters the units if the tenant keeps saying their whole family is high risk candidates and not letting anyone in.
Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 132 votes
6y
@David Pai
Glad I’m not in your situation. Sounds very rough. Has your real estate attorney provided any feedback on the situation?
I’d be negotiating early move out with the tenant or some rent paid for the forced vacancy. How did they find their new place during “these uncertain times”?
Luckily I wasn’t in your situation, but I listed one recently. I took more photos (50 pictures on a 3 bed),
Added 360 view with my iPhone (looking into 360 cameras soon), took a 90 second video that I added to the listing and emailed out as needed. Also Screened way more up front and stressed trying for 1 showing and have it rented to discourage tire kickers.
“I’d love to show it to you, but first how well do you meet or rental criteria and what’s your desired move in date?” was a go to phrase.
I required masks, gloves, and had hand sanitizer at the ready. Also asked the current tenants to turn on all light and open all blinds and doors. Spaced clusters of showings 3 days apart and clusters of showing 20 minutes apart instead of the usual 15 minutes. Did 1 showing, then had someone call and rent based on pictures, video, and a phone conversation. Cancelled the second cluster of showings once the deposit was in and lease signed via email.
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
The path of least resistance is to just wait until they are out, turn the unit around, and then show. I have been pre-recording a virtual tour to send interested parties who either do not want or can’t be in person for showings. It’s worked out well, but just make sure the tour is detailed and you don’t miss any aspects of the house that the tenant will feel like they need to see.
Glad I’m not in your situation. Sounds very rough. Has your real estate attorney provided any feedback on the situation?
I’d be negotiating early move out with the tenant or some rent paid for the forced vacancy. How did they find their new place during “these uncertain times”?
Luckily I wasn’t in your situation, but I listed one recently. I took more photos (50 pictures on a 3 bed),
Added 360 view with my iPhone (looking into 360 cameras soon), took a 90 second video that I added to the listing and emailed out as needed. Also Screened way more up front and stressed trying for 1 showing and have it rented to discourage tire kickers.
“I’d love to show it to you, but first how well do you meet or rental criteria and what’s your desired move in date?” was a go to phrase.
I required masks, gloves, and had hand sanitizer at the ready. Also asked the current tenants to turn on all light and open all blinds and doors. Spaced clusters of showings 3 days apart and clusters of showing 20 minutes apart instead of the usual 15 minutes. Did 1 showing, then had someone call and rent based on pictures, video, and a phone conversation. Cancelled the second cluster of showings once the deposit was in and lease signed via email.
Good luck all.
Both tenants been there over 10 years but are month to month now. Im actually a buyer trying to buy the duplex. The tenants are not letting anyone in for inspection and im guessing they will not let an appraiser in too so basically a lot of problems in terms of trying to get the tenant to move out.
How do you like the 360 viewer? Are you using it with Zillow? I’m thinking about getting one myself for my listing in a month.
I have the Ricoh Theta V and it does a pretty good job. Simple to use, 4k video, good colors, detail, and light balance. The monopod it comes with is only about 4.5 feet tall so I bought a different one. You want one that is eye level to simulate standing in the space.
You also need software to create the 360 walk-through that can be shared on social media. I decided to go with Kuula because it allows unlimited tours with easy social media sharing, embedding, etc. I manage 400 rentals and want to upload a lot.
Even easier? A video tour. Just like any video camera but the finished product allows the viewer to look around while you move from room to room and narrate. It's not fancy and people get the (dis)pleasure of seeing my ugly mug and bald head, but it lets them experience the home without visiting in person.
360 Video Tour:
I've only shot a few videos and tours and I don't have any editing experience or time to make it fancy. I don't think that matters as much as getting it out there, much like a musician recording music on their bed with an iphone and being discovered by regular people.