Rookie uneasy about a tenant

Rookie uneasy about a tenant

Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hello I am a relatively new Investor and am uneasy about a potential tenant. Would some of the more experienced landlords please give me some input? (Be gentle) I have an A+ SFH a week away from completion in an A+ neighborhood and I'm asking top of market rent. A friend of mine (retired mailman) met a drinking buddy at the Moose Lodge. Guy just moved here as a carpenter for work and is looking for a rental home. He connected the dots. Guy is ready to move in on completion, full ask, full deposit, no pets, no smokers. The house is in an A+ neighborhood and the best schools in the area. I have had the house listed for about 2 weeks without many hard bites. I believe this is due to COVID shutting down school many families are not aggressively looking to get into this area. So this seems like a great deal until...

Guy submits his application and I see 5 arrest records. All minor traffic incidents many years ago (No insurance, failure to register vehicle, failure to wear seatbelt, driving without a license etc.) but solid income and no prior evictions we could see. Then I then look this guy up on Facebook and see all kinds of "F This, F that", angry political rants against BLM, middle finger selfies etc. 

Am I letting my beliefs and moral compass keep me from lording over this land well or are these easy red flags? I mean if he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed he wouldn't be a renter right? Am I crazy for holding out for lotto winning nuns and peace corp trust fund doctors as tenants? 

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Nope. The reason I check social media is to see if the applicant will be someone I'd want to do business with. Entitlement takes many forms and he just put his on full display. I'd turn him down.
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 587 posts · 269 votes
    6y

    Hi @Kyle Barger, am I understanding your post correctly? This person got arrested at one point for not wearing a seat belt. Correct?  Also, does he have a rental history? Can you contact his past Landlords?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I usually ignore traffic unless they are a pattern and driving without a license, no insurance, and no registration are signs that he has repeatedly made some mistakes and may be reckless however if these were old I may look past them.  With the current political climate people are getting pretty bold on what they post on Facebook, we'll call this a yellow flag.  How did his credit and income look, he is a carpenter and they tend to make good money but is it verifiable money or is he an under the table guy.  If he has solid pay history, good credit, and seems fairly normal I'd probably go for it.  If he doesn't check these boxes I would keep looking.  

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Amy Aziz yes the seatbelt was piled on top of a failure to register. More or less all traffic/license related issues. I have past addresses on the tenant screening but will need to ask for landlords contact info. How do you go about getting that info? Asking for it directly? Thank you for your time and response :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I think it sounds like this guy may have a problem with authority.  Plus the fact that he just moved here, there's no guarantee he's going to keep that new job.  Why did he move?  Does he have money in savings?

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    BTW, did he actually get arrested for those traffic infractions, or just get tickets?

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Nope. The reason I check social media is to see if the applicant will be someone I'd want to do business with. Entitlement takes many forms and he just put his on full display. I'd turn him down.
  • Jim AdamsPro Member
    Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    1) Go with your gut. You already know your answer. 2) Our first tenants 10 years ago had the same kind of driving record (but we didn't know because he hadn't checked). Fast forward a few months, and the police kicked down our front door in a drug raid. Apparently, when the police are "watching" you waiting for enough evidence, they pull you over for something stupid every week, or at least that's what the officer told us when they called to tell us about the raid after the fact.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger are you self managing or will you have a PM. Whose face will he be giving the single digit to when things don't go well? If it is yours will you be able to handle that? Suppose he trashes the place on his way out. Personally I have no use for that kind of behavior and I would not want him renting from me and annoying the neighbors, or me. He has no place in an ''A" area. He would have far more friends in the low c's and d's. All the best!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Will likely not pay anything after 1st month. Watch out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2019 · 293 posts · 440 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger completely ignore those traffic violations. I could give you list of famous people, millionaires, well know investors and others that have way more than a few traffic violations. I wish that’s all some of my tenants came with.

    The Facebook is on you and how you feel in your gut, but I would not push him away because he has political beliefs!

    With that said, I would read up on the Fair Housing Laws and your state laws regarding what you can turn someone down for.

    With this, as long as you didn’t list with a broker and you don’t own more than 3 homes, fair housing does not apply to you

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Todd Pultz Just to be clear, I would not turn him down because of his political beliefs, I'd turn him down because he feels entitled to be rude & agressive, and denigrating to people that disagree with him.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2019 · 293 posts · 440 votes
    6y

    @Jill F. Completely understand, but as a new investor becomes bigger with more doors they have to be educated with fair housing and their state housing laws. You need to have a valid reason to turn down someone or they could call discrimination for about anything. I’ve personally been there myself as a landlord for something I did not even consider.

    There are ways to always have control of that though.....make your income requirements higher than most would be able to qualify, require certain number of references etc. all kinds of ways to skin a cat, but you have to do it legally.

    I don’t think his situation applies under fair housing, but new landlords need to be cautious and under the laws that govern us

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    To be honest, I think your gut already knows the answer to your question. Just a word of caution--I'm not sure what the rules are about tenant denial where you are located(maybe there aren't any beyond the usual Fair Housing requirements where you are), but here in Portland, OR, there is an expanded list of conditions that protect tenants from denial as part of the rent control program here (for example, you cannot deny someone solely based on them using Section 8 vouchers if they can meet all other criteria). Rely on and follow your internal procedures to do a thorough investigation, particularly into his rental and work history. Call his previous landlords, and he should be able to provide contacts for work as well. I would keep looking for a tenant who may be a stronger candidate, even if it means dropping the rent a little. Just my two cents-- Good luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you all for the insightful responses. Feeling the love as a new member to BP!

  • Great Falls, MT · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 172 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger

    Failure to register makes me think “money issues”....what other reason would you not register your vehicle? What is his credit like? And how did you verify his income? Personally, I’d want to see his tax returns from the previous year. Contractors don’t have the most stable income and are notoriously flakey (sorry to those who aren’t; just my experience). The FB ranting is a big red flag. It’s not the topic...I don’t care about his political views. BUT he sounds like a hot head who is going to give you a hard time every time he doesn’t like something. That’s a tough personality to deal with when you are a new landlord! Don’t ignore your gut....the right person will come along, and you are better off with some vacancy than a terrible tenant.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    His background shows he does not take to following rules.  His social media shows that he does not have the social skills to deal with situations where it is not 'his way'.  When you ask him to do something he will respond to you the way he interacts on social media.

    Carpenters also have slow periods without work, and need to have a selling. on time, friendly personality to keep the clients coming.  Does not sound like he does.  Ask to see proof of his income in the past, maybe bank statements.  I would bet that his income is not steady.  Also ask to have proof of steady income upon his move--will he free lance, if so that is a slow start up.  Will he work for a general contractor who will verify an income?

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger

    Your application should include phone number and email for previous landlords and jobs.

    If not, you can usually find a number on internet.

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger

    I would base my decision on Credit, prebious rental history and income first. So the only real red flag is traffic tickets. How long ago were they? If several years ago, i would probably not worry about them. As far as fb posts, are you worried he is not politically aligned with you, or was there a post which made you concerned? Lots of people use language online.

  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2020 · 295 posts · 272 votes
    6y

    People can have their political beliefs, but posting them in public in an inappropriate way would get my attention and concern also.  Most people who have those kind of traffic violations do not get arrested so perhaps there was a bit of an attitude?  No proof but a possibility. I would ask him why there was the unusual event of an arrest for these minor violations and see if he starts going off aggressively about the officer.  Regarding steady income, how did you decide that?  I find it hard to call income steady who has moved and just took on a different job.  I have rented to a family in this state recently, but I saw an offer letter for substantially more money, my tenant had excellent credit, and owned their last residence.  Did you take his word for sufficient cash reserves?  Most applicants that I don't feel comfortable with fortunately disqualify themselves as they frequently don't meet one or more of my requirements. My suggestion is if you do continue to consider this applicant, make sure you see proof for everything and not just a conversation.

  • Investor · Pekin, IN · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger

    No!!!! He is a transient. What is he running from and will he go back as soon as it cools off or will it heat up there and he will have to move again.

    If he smokes he will probably smoke in your home. I’m assuming he’s a smoker since he hangs out at the lodge and drinks.

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger

    Always always always trust your gut

  • Property Manager · Burlington, NC · Member since 2018 · 57 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger honestly, if he isn't doing small things responsibly like keeping up registration, keeping insurance active, than I see that as a red flag that he isn't responsible in other aspects. If it were me, and take this with a grain of salt because I'm no veteran, if you can eat a little less cash flow, I would ask less for rent for the possibility of a better quality tenant. Again, just my opinion, good luck with your rental!

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Hey Kyle, I think the advice to call previous landlords is great if you're on the fence. However, I heard a tenant horror story once where the tenant provided bogus references, listing his friends' phone numbers instead of previous landlords'. Cross reference property ownership records to make sure you're actually talking to the previous landlords.

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 587 posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Barger  you can look up the past landlord's information by searching the address in google or a skip tracing site. If the place is still open for rent you can normally see their number as well. I would just speak to them and see what they say. It's never a bad thing to go the extra mile and spend a little more time on research. :) I wish you the best of luck! 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 127 posts · 63 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Barger:

    Hello I am a relatively new Investor and am uneasy about a potential tenant. Would some of the more experienced landlords please give me some input? (Be gentle) I have an A+ SFH a week away from completion in an A+ neighborhood and I'm asking top of market rent. A friend of mine (retired mailman) met a drinking buddy at the Moose Lodge. Guy just moved here as a carpenter for work and is looking for a rental home. He connected the dots. Guy is ready to move in on completion, full ask, full deposit, no pets, no smokers. The house is in an A+ neighborhood and the best schools in the area. I have had the house listed for about 2 weeks without many hard bites. I believe this is due to COVID shutting down school many families are not aggressively looking to get into this area. So this seems like a great deal until...

    Guy submits his application and I see 5 arrest records. All minor traffic incidents many years ago (No insurance, failure to register vehicle, failure to wear seatbelt, driving without a license etc.) but solid income and no prior evictions we could see. Then I then look this guy up on Facebook and see all kinds of "F This, F that", angry political rants against BLM, middle finger selfies etc. 

    Am I letting my beliefs and moral compass keep me from lording over this land well or are these easy red flags? I mean if he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed he wouldn't be a renter right? Am I crazy for holding out for lotto winning nuns and peace corp trust fund doctors as tenants? 

    Run! Don't look back. LOL

    Seems like this guy is an angry man who doesn't think any of the rules of partaking in a civilized society apply to him. That attitude will also apply to your home.

    Under fair housing laws I would have him fill out a detailed application with full background check and credit check and hopefully you will find something on there that you can legally turn him down for.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.