We rented our home out to a family on Section 8. It was our first rental and we made errors did not do our due diligence. We discovered several violations against their lease agreement early on but faced the challenge of putting her and her 8kids out on the street. Long and short we added what we thought would be acceptable safe guards. One is a monthly inspection. Due to covid several inspections were skipped. The first since march was performed yesterday. We found an additional tenant, the home is FILTHY black grout (in what was a new construction brand new home) sticky floors and walls,Roach infested.... literally the floor was sticky from all the raid they must have sprayed.( empty cans every where and the video of the home made my skin crawl!) I will advise of a non renewal... her lease is up end of October anyways but in the meantime the house is disgusting and Im just seeing dollar signs... what would you do? Is there a way to terminate a lease early based on this?
Our experience with Sec 8 admin is they will talk the talk, but will NOT walk the walk. No backup for owners--"not my problem".
So, what to do? Let the tenant know that you are immediately reporting the extra tenant and destruction of the unit to Section 8. That will put the fear of the financial gods in the tenant because Sec 8 DOES have the power to revoke the tenant's portable voucher.
Let the tenant know that they must adhere to the lease, including housekeeping (local health codes), and allowed the number of tenants/residents in your unit. Document everything.
Remember--the moratorium on eviction is for NON PAYMENT--other lease violations are not included in that moratorium. (Of course, your local magistrate/judge may say "I'm not hearing ANY tenant-related hearings".) In that case, complain to the President Judge and ask for a change of venue.
BTW, this is NOT a problem with Section 8 or their tenants. There are good and bad tenants in all groups. You just got stuck with a ringer.
Here's one almost-guaranteed solution to get rid of the roach-loving tenant: call dept of health--they will probably declare the unit unfit for habitation, and force the tenants out. Of course, then the cleanup and/or process of getting the property un-condemned will fall on you.
Disclaimer: I am not giving legal advice. I'm a real estate broker/investor speaking only from my own personal experience with this type of situation.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Call the Housing Department Landlord Division and speak with someone there. Sorry for what you're going thru....I've been there. I no longer do leases of any kind...month-to-month only. Housing doesn't do month-to-month initially, but it turns to month-to-month after a year. Housing requires a 90-day notice to evict, so you might ask them if you can give a 90-day notice now, so it will go into effect after the lease is up. Not sure you can get out of the lease, especially during Covid-19. Let Housing know about the extra tenant occupying the home. Make sure you file properly...worth spending the money to have professionals do this. Take LOTS of pictures and email them to the Housing worker and keep all paperwork. Re: cockroaches, I would call a pest control company. Best of luck....don't let this discourage you...it is a learning experience.
@Joyce Jackson my heart goes out to you, as you are in a very sticky (pun intended :) situation. I am within Chicago and the Housing Authority does provide for emergency inspections for the reasons you mention. They will, in turn provide an immediate (usually 60 days) notice to the tenant to remedy the damage or they can easily loose their Housing Voucher. Since we are one of the most “tenant friendly” states, I can assume Florida will provide you, at least that service.
Unfortunately the evection falls on you and with Covid you may be stuck for some time. Having said that, you want to find out what your Housing Authority provides as a remedy and play your cards wisely. If your tenant knows she can loose her voucher there is no reason to leave your building and things may get even worse. You can notify her of your plans to report her and see if she is willing to move peacefully in consideration for a continued housing voucher. Playing hardball with a tenant who has already proven she has no respect for your building is a very slippery slope, be careful.
Good luck to you!
We rented our home out to a family on Section 8. It was our first rental and we made errors did not do our due diligence. We discovered several violations against their lease agreement early on but faced the challenge of putting her and her 8kids out on the street. Long and short we added what we thought would be acceptable safe guards. One is a monthly inspection. Due to covid several inspections were skipped. The first since march was performed yesterday. We found an additional tenant, the home is FILTHY black grout (in what was a new construction brand new home) sticky floors and walls,Roach infested.... literally the floor was sticky from all the raid they must have sprayed.( empty cans every where and the video of the home made my skin crawl!) I will advise of a non renewal... her lease is up end of October anyways but in the meantime the house is disgusting and Im just seeing dollar signs... what would you do? Is there a way to terminate a lease early based on this?
You need to do everything in your power to protect your asset. If there are clauses in your lease that have been broken don't wait until October, start the process of removing them now. The catch 22 is making sure they do not do more damage. You should also alert the housing authority.
With Section 8 the housing authority is who you must coordinate issues with. Speak with them and let them know what is going on and partner up with a great real estate attorney for issues like this.
Our experience with Sec 8 admin is they will talk the talk, but will NOT walk the walk. No backup for owners--"not my problem".
So, what to do? Let the tenant know that you are immediately reporting the extra tenant and destruction of the unit to Section 8. That will put the fear of the financial gods in the tenant because Sec 8 DOES have the power to revoke the tenant's portable voucher.
Let the tenant know that they must adhere to the lease, including housekeeping (local health codes), and allowed the number of tenants/residents in your unit. Document everything.
Remember--the moratorium on eviction is for NON PAYMENT--other lease violations are not included in that moratorium. (Of course, your local magistrate/judge may say "I'm not hearing ANY tenant-related hearings".) In that case, complain to the President Judge and ask for a change of venue.
BTW, this is NOT a problem with Section 8 or their tenants. There are good and bad tenants in all groups. You just got stuck with a ringer.
Here's one almost-guaranteed solution to get rid of the roach-loving tenant: call dept of health--they will probably declare the unit unfit for habitation, and force the tenants out. Of course, then the cleanup and/or process of getting the property un-condemned will fall on you.
Disclaimer: I am not giving legal advice. I'm a real estate broker/investor speaking only from my own personal experience with this type of situation.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Don’t call the health department, as they will only hold the landlord responsible for all infestations.
Don’t let them lose their Section8 while they’re your tenants, or else you will be stuck with these tenants and not getting any payments at all. And probably can’t file non-payment eviction due to COVID.
Send their 90day lease termination notice via certified mail (CC Section 8) ASAP.
Don’t call an exterminator until they’re out. Roaches are almost impossible to get rid of with nasty tenants in place. Just a waste of money.
@Crystal Smith
Your right about that... I found out that since she was re-violating a 7 day notice with several of the same violations within 12 month period I was within my rights for reclaim immediate possession. I wanted to ensure that I had the estimated damages and I thought she might be eager to retain her section 8 by agreeing to leave.... she continued to try to argue with me via text. To which I simply responded arguing and being nasty with me will only make this worst please stop. Can you be out by August 25th.
@Zachary Ray- yes I have reached out to them. They advised that they would recommend providing her with a notice to quit as well as obtaining an attorney. They said that the landlord liaison quit and is no longer working there. Her caseworker is out on leave but they advised to continue to send the documentation to her.
@Marc Winter
I haven’t called the Dept of health because there’s no way they would claim the home was unfit. It is a new construction home. It’s filthy due obviously to them only because the home was brand spanking new when they moved in. It’s worth just shy of half a mill- The Tampa housing Authority has scheduled an inspection for 08/26. I thought holding her financially responsible and advising her that we would not be renewing, but, we’re willing to give her the month to move on her own in order to retain her voucher. She responded by wanting to argue via text which I quite frankly just don’t have time for. I’m aware that she has 8 kids. I wanted to be reasonable. Advised that it was non negotiable. And Asked if she could confirm if she could be out by September 3rd to which she didn’t respond at all. After having folks come to provide estimates I realized she Gotta go ASAP. Damages were more then I thought. They told me that I will have to rid all of the appliances due to the extent of the infestation plus another almost 12k in damages not included the brick pavers that have gotten oil stains on. It’s overwhelming.
@Jim Spatzenfeld
You are very knowledgeable. I was concerned about them losing their voucher while they are in my home as well. I realized that the case worker is not there to protect us. Nor the tenant. She was the same caseworker that vouched for the tenant knowing that she destroyed the previous landlords home. We skipped the due diligence (which is our fault) because her case worker claimed above and beyond that her previous landlord was a slumlord and they were facing being homeless. That they were a great family that just needed a chance. I didn’t have any experience with Section 8 before that and I felt for the family. I mean 8 kids on the street thats tough. Fast forward within 4 months we discovered major violations from an animal to extra people to filth. The tenant was served with a 7 day notice on 02/02/2020. 5 of those 6 violation were re-violated plus 2 more. We had a process server serve them with a 7 day notice to vacate on Monday. In which case the tenant advised him that “We're not allowed to evict them”. The server advised them that we were it’s all in the document. I’m hopeful that once August 25th has arrived they have left on their own but in the event that they have not I won’t bring up anything about payment. I will focus on the re-violations. I have not advised the case worker of the extra body in the home because they are going to take it from being “our” problem to just our problem. The pest control company advised us the same thing about the roaches and stated the home would need to be vacated. Appliances disposed of and we will need no less than 5 treatments as the infestation is extreme. Can ask you this ... if they do extensive damage beyond what they have already done... may I use my insurance to cover any of it? I feel like they might be spiteful. N I’m just concerned because it’s an expensive and large 4000sqft home. They could if the choose do even more damage.
I don’t know about what insurance would cover. I never filed a claim with homeowners insurance.
I had once a tenant who’s “terrible landlord” didn’t fix the furnace in the middle of winter in New York. I rented to them and didn’t bother to call the previous “evil landlord”, just wanted to help these poor folks. After they moved into my house I quickly realized that they were tenants from hell and the prior Landlord probably disabled the furnace to successfully get them out of the house ASAP.
A “broken” furnace in wintertime works much better than the court’s eviction process!
@Crystal Smith
Your right about that... I found out that since she was re-violating a 7 day notice with several of the same violations within 12 month period I was within my rights for reclaim immediate possession. I wanted to ensure that I had the estimated damages and I thought she might be eager to retain her section 8 by agreeing to leave.... she continued to try to argue with me via text. To which I simply responded arguing and being nasty with me will only make this worst please stop. Can you be out by August 25th.
I would no longer communicate with her directly. While it may cost you a few bucks all future communication to her should be through an attorney, or at least appear to be through an attorney. When I say appear I mean getting an agreement w/ an attorney to review whatever correspondence you may want to have w/ the tenant & then having that correspondence sent on his/her letterhead. Discussions or arguments with tenants need to be documented & the best way to do that is via a 3rd party.
@Crystal Smith
You are a mind reader my husband was going to go and speak with them in person just because even though they have messed or home up. She's playing a dangerous game. She thinks that there's a moratorium on eviction. Kids are starting school the 24th. That's why I've given her almost a month. Either way 25th no response were moving frwd with the next phase and she will be out before the end of the month. I've been advised that since she had re violated her 7day notice I didn't need to give her the 7day notice but I chose to. My other concern is that she has my physical address. Shes moved a stranger into the home that shows have a Felony...N I'm concerned that they are going to do some nasty things to our home before they leave. They are playing victim. If it weren't for it being a brand guy. home construction I think she would have everybody thinking in the bad guy.
@Joyce Jackson out of curiosity on your mindset, why did you rent a new construction home worth $500,000 to someone on section 8 with 8 kids? Just for future reference anyone on section 8 with 8 kids is likely to keep the house in similar condition. This is to be expected, so don't think you just had bad luck.
Stop talking to her. Don't say things like "you will make it worse" or mandate that she leaves. Those could be misinterpreted as threats. Avoid any arguing over text. Get an attorney, because you could accidentally make this worse.
To be honest the damage is probably not as bad as it looks. I have had houses look like they should be demolished and after cleaning and paint, they looked brand new. It generally looks worse than it is.
@Joe Splitrock
So Im a Realtor. I made a pretty nice 4% commission when I originally bought it and they paid all of my closing cost and rolled my prepaids in. I did put 20% down but by the time I balanced everything out I had invested around 65k. I had purchased the for 390k originally. I purchased it for myself. lived in it for a year. Couldn't stand living on top of each other bought another home as a primary and realized the market rent in the area had dropped due to some all cash investors (that the particular builder had marketed to) buying and renting cheap. The mortgage is 2500. The market rent would have it around 2650-to maybe 2700. A client contacted me around this time saying that they've had wonderful experiences renting out larger homes to Section 8. FMR 3050. Thats how this was born.
@Joe Splitrock
Also Joe, Thank you for the Sage advise. I had to re-read the text. I had no idea that could be portrayed that way. This is the text word for word.
"This is where were at now. We have all the necessary documentation proving Home team comes once per quarter. If there was ever a problem you were given their number and advised that you could call them back at any time. They shouldnt have to service more often then that as their products last 3 months. My grout lines were white! Now theyre black. The floor is sticky everywhere. This is a brand new construction luxury home. We started using home team as a convenience for you. Going back and forth with me will only make things worst! Please stop. If you have concerns you can feel free to address them with Travis in person or through your case workers. If you prefer to simply vacate the home that is fine. Please advise if you can vacate the property by the end of August. "
In response to this she became Irrate. My response to that was this...
"Devanna- Wednesday we are meeting a company at the home, at 2. They will be addressing the flooring, the ac ductwork, dryer vent, and odor removal. As well as Providing us with an estimate. Your case worker is aware. Also, home team has estimated the cost to eliminate the infestation around$600-700.00. They have determined and put in writing that the infestation is a specific type of roach brought to the home by you all. It is very difficult to rid the home of them once they are there. The easiest solution would be for you guys to vacate as soon as possible. Please use this time to find a home. If you vacate on your own it may still be possible for you to retain your voucher. We will not pursue an eviction if you leave on your own before the 3rd of Sept. An eviction means you will lose it. We will not be held responsible if you all have no place to go. We've sought legal advise and there is no hold over for these types of evictions (gross lease violations). Your case worker has been made aware. "
Now Im super anxious that I said something that she can twist. Smh. Once I'm done with this I'm done w section 8. I don't have the heart for this. Its stressing me out. If anything it will be a 5 bdrm 180k home you know. What do you think?
@Marc Winter
Regarding the non-payment only evictions, but other violations are ok to evict-
Not by me..
one of my clients rentals during covid, stopped paying March 1, June 1 offered cash for keys to be out end of
June. She said ok. June 23 a random gir OD’s in the house and dies. Tenant now says she hasn’t been there in months and letting her ex and his brother stay there. Gave her until July 5 to get her stuff and still pay cash. No show... owner visits local magistrate, explains tenant is MIA, random people staying there and an overdose. Magistrate says sorry, nothing I can do. Ended up posting notice for abandoned property, no one came back after the girl died. Clean out crew came 2 weeks later.
Don’t call the health department, as they will only hold the landlord responsible for all infestations.
Don’t let them lose their Section8 while they’re your tenants, or else you will be stuck with these tenants and not getting any payments at all. And probably can’t file non-payment eviction due to COVID.
Send their 90day lease termination notice via certified mail (CC Section 8) ASAP.
Don’t call an exterminator until they’re out. Roaches are almost impossible to get rid of with nasty tenants in place. Just a waste of money.
That was very good advice that you gave.
@Joyce Jackson out of curiosity on your mindset, why did you rent a new construction home worth $500,000 to someone on section 8 with 8 kids? Just for future reference anyone on section 8 with 8 kids is likely to keep the house in similar condition. This is to be expected, so don't think you just had bad luck.
Stop talking to her. Don't say things like "you will make it worse" or mandate that she leaves. Those could be misinterpreted as threats. Avoid any arguing over text. Get an attorney, because you could accidentally make this worse.
To be honest the damage is probably not as bad as it looks. I have had houses look like they should be demolished and after cleaning and paint, they looked brand new. It generally looks worse than it is.
That grout can be cleaned as well. A lot of your carpet cleaners have a tool that cleans towel and grout.
Hello Joyce Jackson in Tampa, Florida with a brand new home that you tried to Rent with an incredibly bad Section 8 Tenant. It's bad enough to have to be a Landlord, but, Section 8? As far as the inevitable clean up and repair you will have to do, at some point you will have to just Termite Tent the house to get rid of the vermin, if you continue with Tenants like that. I just moved to Valrico to get away from all the Section 8'ers hangin out on the street and begging on the corners. All the good people gave you lots of advice, but, if you want her to move, you should offer to pay her some Money and not do her any damage or hire a Lawyer and get some guys with a truck to move her stuff tomorrow. Just say that you want to rehab the house and move into it. The next step up from Section 8'ers are Trailers and my friend owns 90 of them. Can you imagine the nightmares he has? Advice from a burned out Landlord.
Living in a (brand new) half million dollar home for free (on Section-8) and they quickly let if fall into a state of filth.
(on a side note) Maybe in the future think about housing Section-8-er's in more modest costing structures.
Hopefully they won't try to pull the Roaches are Emotional Support Animals/bugs thing.
Just my 2 cents.
A client contacted me around this time saying that they've had wonderful experiences renting out larger homes to Section 8. FMR 3050. Thats how this was born.
I have a few section 8's and yes they can be wonderful experiences. But NOT 8 kids in a half million dollar new construction house, that is totally insane. I also suspect the damage will be more like $25,000 at least.
@Scott Mac
Lmao!
@Raju V.
Lol you said that’s totally insane! You know, I come from a huge family 10 siblings on each of my parents sides being a Native American. My whole family would just chip in on Saturday house sterilized ... maintenance easier with more people I thought.... I feel like I was raised in a bubble. I never seen people comfortable living like that. I never thought in a million years they would do that to our home. Smh
Honestly, after this I don’t know if ail needs able to rent to another section 8er. The video of the home inspection made my skin crawl.
This is the home...
https://www.gosection8.com/Section-8-housing-in-Riverview-FL/5-bedroom-4-bathroom-rental-House/4875950
@Scott Mac
https://www.gosection8.com/Section-8-housing-in-Riverview-FL/5-bedroom-4-bathroom-rental-House/4875950
This is the home... you don’t wanna know what they did to it... lol the floors in your pic look better than mine now.