My Yard Signs worked great, BEFORE the city took em down!

My Yard Signs worked great, BEFORE the city took em down!

Investor · Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 49 votes

So I have had my rental house listed for one week. I've got it posted on Zillow, Realtor, Craigslist, etc.. The online stuff is generating practically ZERO traffic towards me.  I took a shot by putting 2 "For Rent Yard Signs" out on the main road at the entrance to the neighborhood and one on the property itself.  I literally got 100 phone calls and people were driving by all day. I've shown it to probably 30 people, all thanks to those signs. And of course, the city finally snatched them up because they were in the right of way. I'm assuming that would go the same for utility poles. The phones have officially stopped ringing.

So.... how do I get physical visibility from the road without violating city ordinances, or asking random people to put my signs in their yard(which I wont do). I need more local advertising options that actually work because the online game isn't working for me. 

Suggestions???

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 74 votes
6y

You’ve had 100 phone calls, 30 showings, and no qualified renters?

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Well, you need to do some sort of sign close to the property and with high traffic.  Drive-by is about 50%+ of leads on applicants.

    I don't think you can post legally on public right-of-way, but may be your only option if your building doesn't' get a lot of traffic.

  • CA & NV · Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 378 votes
    6y

    Illegal to post on any public property, right-of-way, utility pols, etc. Some cities will charge you a removal fee.

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 934 votes
    6y

    Post your sign on the main road at 5pm Friday and take it down Sunday night. Most zoning enforcement folks work Mon-Fri and don't feel a need to do extra patrols on the weekends. Repeat the next weekend. You will only get weekend passers-by, but with that many showings and only 1 house, you should have a tenant in no time.

  • Investor · Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @James Mc Ree

    I was thinking that exact thing. I’ll bend the rules to fill a vacancy! That weekend traffic is showtime!

  • Investor · Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @Steve Morris

    Your exactly right. I just gotta figure out another way so I don’t get a violation and fine in my mailbox one day.

  • Investor · Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 74 votes
    6y

    You’ve had 100 phone calls, 30 showings, and no qualified renters?

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sara K.:

    You’ve had 100 phone calls, 30 showings, and no qualified renters?

     My thoughts exactly. 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    With so many people seeing the property did you not like the people you showed it to or did the people not like the property?

  • Investor · Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @Joe S.

    I am trying to evaluate the first weeks feedback. Most calls were tire kickers. Out of the 30 I showed it to, most really liked the house and the price was ok but I haven’t received many applications back. I know after speaking with them in person that most of them have some reason that would disqualify them and they know it. Tanked credit, eviction, etc. I am trying to get to the bottom of this and figure out why my pool of applicants aren’t turning in the applications they walk away with. I get really strong feedback about the house so I don’t know.

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 934 votes
    6y

    You might want to up your phone screening rigor, if only to protect your time. You could tell your prospects your screening criteria and ask if any of that would be a problem for them before you agree to show the property. Anyone with disqualifying data would be a waste of time for you and the prospect to see the property. 30 Showings with no qualified applicants is a lot. Make sure your qualifications are realistic too.

  • Investor · Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @James Mc Ree

    This is a house hack duplex scenario so I am home a lot. And because the yard signs were generating tons of drive by traffic most people call me from down the street or while they are parked out front. So I end up screening them right then and there.

    I wish the online ads would produce more as well. This is my first time doing this so I’m figuring it out as I go. I would say my qualifications are standard stuff

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    If your online ads aren't generating quality leads, then you have one or more of the following problems:

    1. Your house is too expensive relative to its size, location, amenities, competition (this is your most likely problem)

    2. Your location is not ideal - next to a highway, sewage plant, high-crime area, etc.

    3. Your ad is terrible - bad pictures, poor grammar, lousy description.

    4. There's no demand in your area.

    We have professional yard signs for our properties - real-estate type hanging signs that you can't miss. I don't think we've put one out in at least 3 or 4 years at this point. Every one of our properties rents through either online ads or occasionally by reference. When we did use the yard signs, a large percentage of the calls & showings were tire kickers - people who lived 2 houses down and were just nosy types - or completely unqualified to rent.

    I would suggest that as has been mentioned above you really need to reevaluate your process here. I think it is highly unlikely you will find a tenant that you will want from a sign. Most people who have their act together don't have hours to drive around looking for "For Rent" signs. They methodically make sure their credit looks good, they have their money, and they optimize their searches online to find what suits their needs. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 215 posts · 137 votes
    6y

    @Mason Jeffries

    Have you thought of putting a sign in your car and park it outside the house?

    Maybe a lemonade stand with balloons will also help. Thats just for weekend though

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Maybe the City requires a permit for ads and you didn't get one?
  • Investor · Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @JD Martin

    I do believe I need to reevaluate this. I think i know where the rub is. This unit comes with utilities included in the rent. So your first point is probably right. I have been researching the rental comps in my area and the cost of utilities and my price is on point (in my opinion). However, this may present a problem, the advertised amount reflects the inflated rent with utilities included. 

    For Example, If Comps are going for 1700 per month and based on the history of this unit, I know the utility costs are an average of 300 per month. If my advertised price is 2000 it appears high but in reality its actually pretty conservative. People may not even click on the add  or it may not even show up in the first place with a price limit filter on. The first line of my add says 'Landlord pays Electric, Gas, Water, Lawn Care, and Pest Control". People may not take the time to read the description.

    How would you suggest i get around this problem?

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mason Jeffries:

    @JD Martin

    I do believe I need to reevaluate this. I think i know where the rub is. This unit comes with utilities included in the rent. So your first point is probably right. I have been researching the rental comps in my area and the cost of utilities and my price is on point (in my opinion). However, this may present a problem, the advertised amount reflects the inflated rent with utilities included. 

    For Example, If Comps are going for 1700 per month and based on the history of this unit, I know the utility costs are an average of 300 per month. If my advertised price is 2000 it appears high but in reality its actually pretty conservative. People may not even click on the add  or it may not even show up in the first place with a price limit filter on. The first line of my add says 'Landlord pays Electric, Gas, Water, Lawn Care, and Pest Control". People may not take the time to read the description.

    How would you suggest i get around this problem?

    Reduce the advertised rental rate and as the last line of your description say utilities included for $300 per month flat rate or split utility bills each month. If you still don't get one, your price opinion is off.

    Good luck.

  • Investor · Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @Todd Rasmussen That is a great idea! Thank you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.