Do you paint your kitchen cabinets in a rental?

Do you paint your kitchen cabinets in a rental?

Rental Property Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 176 votes

If you have the option to paint or stain your kitchen cabinets in a rental, what do you do?

Staining seems like less maintenance, while paint will be tougher to clean and could chip/scratch over time. Seems like staining would be the way to go for less maintenance, although I like the look of painted cabinets.

I'll be making this decision soon on my BRRRR, so I thought I'd poll the audience.

Thanks!

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
5y

Paint! I use the SW Pro Classic also, and it cleans up very well. I agree with the other comments that it looks more modern and appeals to the HGTV crowd. Some before and afters:

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    If you get the right paint, I think it can go a long way...we painted ours with Pro Classic (Sherwin Williams) 5 years ago and yes it has 'some' chips but has held up very well in our home and with 2 kids.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 176 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jon Crosby:

    If you get the right paint, I think it can go a long way...we painted ours with Pro Classic (Sherwin Williams) 5 years ago and yes it has 'some' chips but has held up very well in our home and with 2 kids.  

     Thanks Jon. If I go that route, I'll definitely look into the Pro Classic. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    5y

    @Clint G. I personally prefer painted cabinets rather than staining them. Painted cabinets, tend to offer a clean, smooth and sleek aesthetic. Like @Jon Crosby mentioned, with the right paint these can hold up pretty well.

  • Stephen J DavisBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 529 posts · 467 votes
    5y

    Either way you win. Stain or paint gets worn over time. I like the paint myself as it gives a more modern look as a rule.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    Agreed with the crowd. Painting gives a more modern, classic, sleak, smooth look, so it might help you when it comes to refinancing, or maybe it gets you an extra $50/month rent because the tenant is reminded of HGTV

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    5y

    Paint! I use the SW Pro Classic also, and it cleans up very well. I agree with the other comments that it looks more modern and appeals to the HGTV crowd. Some before and afters:

  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 77 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    What a great turnaround @Dawn P.! It's always helpful to take a look at what other rentals in the area are doing, especially at the higher end. This can give good insight into what renters expectations are and what trends/preferences for your market are. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Dawn P.  did you paint those and add the shaker edge trim? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    5y

    @Colleen F. Yeah, I ripped down some 1/4" plywood into 2 1/4" strips and tacked it on with a bit of wood glue and brad nails. Fill any gaps with wood filler, sand/prime/paint. They're not true shakers, of course, but they have the same look and are a lot cheaper than buying new doors!

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    5y

    I did this kitchen about five years ago the same way, the paint has held up great through toddlers, dogs, and a clean freak tenant who scrubbed the cabinets down with vinegar several times a week, lol.

  • Property Manager · Kansas City · Member since 2020 · 60 posts · 41 votes
    5y

    Definitely a +1 for painting vs staining. 

  • Member since 2020 · 404 posts · 235 votes
    5y

    Whats the going rate for a professional to come sand/paint kitchen cabinets? I done a lot of paint work before but feel like this better left to the pros. Around in LA i got a few quotes and best was $2k for a 2300 sqft house kitchen. Trying to debate if i should paint or gut/install new cabinets. 

  • Laguna Hills, CA · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    It's a great question, and really depends on the look you are going for, and the level of maintenance you want.  Light color paint will show all finger prints and need to be retouched every so often.  A stained look will last longer than painting, and "hides more fingerprints".  Prep of the surface is key, if you go from staining to painting. 

    Prepping and sanding of the coves and grooves on cabinets is key to good adhesion of the paint &, but note it is very time consuming.  

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Clint G.

    Paint. And 90% of success is in the prep. Insl-x cabinet coat is extremely forgiving for amateur folks. I use it for cabs, doors, trim everywhere.

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Clint G. - depends who your target audience is. I see model new homes for sale for 55+ that feature dark stained cabinets. Millennials seem to prefer white cabinets whether they’re painted or new. My home’s new white finish cabinets aren’t wearing very well. Any scrape and it’s beige wood look underneath. I wish I had wood color cabinets with poly stain. My hardwood floors are perfect. Touching up any paint all the time isn’t my favorite idea. I have several doors in my home that have been painted multiple times by contractors and now have ugly paint drips that need to be sanded off. I’ve seen paint beads / drips on cabinet or trim details that don’t make it nearly as clean or sleek in person as you would like to believe. That’s why I think that so called proper cabinet painting is so expensive. Usually involves spraying for an even finish.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Dawn P.   they look great. Much better then some attempts i have seen.  I am not a fan of painted but may try this for some upper cabinets we have in one of our units.  We replace lowers due to rotting in the sink cabinet but couldn't do the uppers at that time for a couple reasons. 

    If I am replacing I do stained. yes, a lot of younger people like white but it may require more touch up between tenants. For me it really needs to fit the cabinet and the house.  Those arch cabinets painted just look odd. White shaker looks good. I do think the white trend will end some day soon. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.