Ozone Machines...Need recommendations..Smells like a dog kennel!!

Ozone Machines...Need recommendations..Smells like a dog kennel!!

Rental Property Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 176 votes

I'm getting ready to close on a 2200 sq ft two story home that smells like a dog kennel. We plan to tear up all of the existing flooring and replace with LVP, but before we put down new floors etc, I have to get that smell out. 

We'll plan to treat the floor with some type of enzyme that kills bacteria, but I'm also planning to run an ozone machine.

Do you have any recommendations of machines you've used and for how long to run them?

Thanks!

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y

I use THIS ONE and it works great on most odors (pet, cigarette, food). You sometimes have to deodorize and air out the space more than once. I've had some units go from downright gag-worthy to fresh as a summer breeze.

Cat urine in carpet is the one area where it has little success.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    I use THIS ONE and it works great on most odors (pet, cigarette, food). You sometimes have to deodorize and air out the space more than once. I've had some units go from downright gag-worthy to fresh as a summer breeze.

    Cat urine in carpet is the one area where it has little success.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 934 votes
    5y

    @Nathan Gesner Do you need to take any precautions upon re-entering the house after treatment? I assume you open the windows afterward to air out the place, but I am thinking of the time from entering the door to opening the windows, then presumably getting back out.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    YES! The ozone machine won't hurt you if you are in for just a minute or so, but you definitely should not stay in the room with it. I had one running once and didn't realize a contractor was going in to measure for carpet. He didn't realize what the machine was and spent 20 minutes in the apartment measuring for flooring. When I talked to him a few days later, he asked me what the machinen was and I explained it to him. Sure enough, he said he was coughing that entire day and couldn't figure out why!

    I used this on a basement family room six months ago. Dog odor was pretty strong. Ran the machine for 12 hours, aired it out, went back in and the odor was even worse! I don't gag easy but this odor was obnoxiously strong. I closed up the house, ran the machine 12 more hours, aired it out for several hours, and the place was like brand new! It sometimes takes a couple tries to really clear the odor.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Clint G.

    As advised, budget for a couple/ few treatments. In your case I would prime the floor with kilz restorer also. Neutralizer is also essential, lay it on thick and probably cover with poly to make sure it soaks in vs evaporates. When you enter the house after ozone, go in, open some windows, turn on the hvac if it isn’t already and then go putz around outside in the yard for at least half an hour or so. More if you have time. Fix a lawnmower or something. Then get back in and evaluate.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    The brand does not matter, just buy a large capacity unit, you needs lots ozone.

    Remove the source of odor as much as you can, in particular carpet. If you have curtains throw them in the wash.

    Whatever is left, ozone (O3, made from O2) will oxidize it, one molecule at a time. Ozone basically "burns" the smells by latching one of the 3 oxygen atoms onto anything that is organic. Also kills mold.

    Make sure you turn you HVAC on "fan" and put the generator close to a cold air return. We usually run it for a day, but it can sometimes take longer. If you operate multiple high capacity machines leave a window cracked for a supply of fresh oxygen.

    Ozone works basically the same way as chlorine does in a pool. With long enough exposure it will turn your eyes red and irritate your lungs. Half life of O3 is about 30 minutes, so it breaks down into O2 and after a couple hours the concentration is very low. Open windows.

    I have never kilzed anything since I bought an ozone generator, or painted to get rid of a smell

  • Rental Property Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2019 · 306 posts · 176 votes
    5y

    @Marcus Auerbach

    Would you recommend one that puts out 10,000mg/hr or more?

    I appreciate all the input guys!

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    Yes, twice the sice, half the time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.