Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
Recently closed on a house and just listed for rent. Been listed for rent for four days now and only had one application. Applicant credit score too low so decided to pass. We are approaching the Winter season and it’s obv Thanksgiving week so I figured it’d be slow trying to find a tenant. Current Zillow rent price is $1550 and I listed for $1600. House it a bit dated but in a great neighborhood. One bathroom doesn’t have a shower, just a tub, but master bathroom has a full bathroom. I’ve listed the house on Zillow, Cozy.co, And Turbotenant. Since I’ve listed on these three sites, my property gets advertised on many different sites by default. My question is, do I stay a bit more patient at $1600 and wait until week after Thanksgiving is over then reduce price? I don’t like the idea of placing a for rent sign outside house or listing on Craigslist. Thoughts on both?
So do I keep price, adjust price, advertise house differently...any help is appreciated
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
its been listed for 4 days? that is nothing - especially this time of year. However, Lowering price (or raising it ) can change the traffic. Did you look at other similar rentals and see what they are renting for?
Burnaby, BC · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 268 votes
5y
You can list your neighbourhood or a neighbouring address if you're worried about your place being targeted by criminals, if its an apartment building then its even less of an issue. However, I am not sure how much crime there is targeting empty homes? Doesn't seem like a good return lol
I dont mind putting down my phone number even in the ad for people to reach out to me but you can do only email contact if you prefer as well and they dont get your email info as it is routed through craigslist
Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 10 votes
5y
@Nadir M.
Maybe experiment with different cover photos?
I list on Zillow and noticed that I got a lot more hits on a SFR when I changed the cover photo.
I switched from a picture of the front of the house to a picture of the kitchen which is remodeled. For whatever reason, the kitchen pic drew people in. This is probably saying more about the front of the house/curb appeal not being that impressive than the kitchen being that nice. But I went from very few calls to very very many one I changed.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Clinton, MD · Member since 2008 · 297 posts · 178 votes
5y
Hi Nadir, I find that lowering the security deposit often helps people get in the door, I will advertise the low-security deposit in my ad for the property or may offer a low-security deposit to Healthcare Workers, Police Officers, and Veterans While eviction is a disqualifier for me, I do consider lower credit scores. For those who are trying to build their credit and the low scores are due to medical or educational debt, if everything else looks okay, I may offer a discount if rent is paid before the first. I've done that with tenants who ultimately used me as their real estate broker when they moved from my rental to their own home. I love the win/wins. Best, Teresa
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y
Zestimates are by no means perfect so Zillow should be looked at with caution. But four days isn't that much time. We usually consider a rent drop if we haven't got any activity for two weeks or so. (Although if we're getting showings and applications that either fall through or are rejected, we will usually keep it on longer at the current price as the property has gotten a lot of interest.)
Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
5y
@Teresa F.
This is great information. I think you have great policies in place to help you achieve those win win situations. So typically is your security deposit half the first months rent? If after a tenant leaves and damages are more than security deposit amount, do you ask for difference from tenant? I like the lower security deposit strategy I just don’t want it to eat away at cash flow when tenant leaves.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Clinton, MD · Member since 2008 · 297 posts · 178 votes
5y
I've only had that happen a few times. I've been doing this for over 20 years and I have a fairly thorough screening system. One time, one of the people on the lease came back and essentially rehabbed my property because he didn't want anything negative on his credit. Generally, I let them know that they owe and need to reimburse me or I will be reporting them to a credit reporting agency. Some government employees need to have clean credit to obtain and retain jobs.
I have heard that active-duty personnel will get in trouble if they leave your property in bad condition. I don't know if that is true because it has never been a problem for me.
In DC, they have started a program where landlords can get up to 5k in rehab costs if a voucher holder moves out and repairs exceed the security deposit. You may want to check your area to see if there is a similar program.
Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
5y
@Teresa F. That’s interesting about vouchers...I didn’t not know that. You know I have an solid applicant right now who wants to rent for 6 months and then move out. He’s a real estate broker and wants to find his own residence soon. What are the pros and cons to that you think from your experience? So you rent to someone you know will eventually leave way sooner than later
Rental Property Investor · Conroe, TX · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 1 vote
5y
@Nadir M. Be patient. Make sure that your price is in line, but considering time of the year don’t make rush decisions, and definitely don’t give in taking on a renter who does not meet your criteria. If you won’t see any traffic in the next couple of weeks, consider an open house or adjust your price.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Clinton, MD · Member since 2008 · 297 posts · 178 votes
5y
As a landlord, your biggest expense is turnover. Whenever possible I look for two and three-year leases. I let approved applicants know that annual rent increases are typically 3% but if they sign for two years or more then they lock in a lower rate. Depending on the situation it may be no raise for the second year and then 3% in the third year or 2% each year. When someone wants a short term lease, it really has to work for me. Generally, they will be paying a higher rent with a full security deposit. If you are in an area where people simply don't move much during the holidays it may be worth exploring a short-term lease just to ensure that pipes don't freeze, etc. while the house sits empty.
Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
5y
@Kuba Bednarz
Have an applicant come through with very good credit score. A real estate broker who just moved to town in hopes of purchasing his own property to live in. Thoughts on a short term 6 month lease. Lease would expire mid summer which is a plus.
Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
5y
@Teresa F.
That was my thought exactly. Have them occupy until mid summer then place a new tenant for long term lease. Wouldn’t be as hard to find a tenant during summer months as apposed to now.
I look to have a qualified applicant within 10-days of listing. If I get more than that I would consider raising the price; if it's crickets I would consider lowering.
And I always list ending in 95 (so, 1595). When people search often you'll miss people looking for "up to 1599" if yours is listed at 1600 (for example).
Also, if you include utilities in the advertised rent cost, another thing you can consider is taking that out of the advertised rent cost, but putting the utility fee in the listing body text. E.g., $1,595/mo +$125/utilities. That means you gross $1,720, but renters in the under $1,600 market will find you. And most people assume a small budget outside rent amount for utilities anyway.
While I'm not the biggest fan of short term, we've done plenty of 6-month leases. And @Teresa F.'s idea about moderating the deposit based on lease length is an excellent one (thanks for the tip!).
Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
5y
@Christine Smith
This makes perfect sense. As soon as I dropped my rent to below $1600 I got two applicants and one were solid in my opinion. A six month lease will work especially during this time of year. If tenant decides to vacate or renew then I can restart my lease agreement during the summer months. Crossing my fingers tenants renew.
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
4 days is not enough time to assess things, especially in the middle of a holiday week. Give it more time and see how many inquiries you get. The amount of inquiries will let you know if you are priced correctly and then from there it is just a numbers game until you find someone that fits.
Rental Property Investor · Brownsville, TX · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 33 votes
5y
Did you find a tenant yet?
I do recommend a "For Rent" sign on the front lawn because many people drive around areas that they like searching for a home to rent. That's what I do when looking for properties to buy.
Search online ads for homes from $1300 to $1700 and as yourself which one is more attractive than yours. Which one would you prefer? That will give you a better idea of the price point where you need to be. It's the human factor more than the statistics.
Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
5y
Odd pricing will sell a yo-yo, a car, a house, and most people's mothers. Marketing professors been publishing research verifying this in business schools for generations. Everyone's entitled to their own informed opinions: they're not entitled to their own facts, and they're most certainly not entitled to be pig-butt ignorant.
This may sound stupid but even pricing it at $1595 sounds a lot better than $1600..
For now I would keep it at $1600 as 4 days isn’t nearly enough time.
I’m not sure where you are located but if the property has good visibility, I would recommend a For Rent sign. They work surprisingly well for me in our area.