Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • Eastern Michigan
Votes |
Replace Front Door or Not?? Help me with a rational decision!

Account Closed
  • Eastern Michigan
Posted Jan 15 2021, 09:40

I have a single family house in a class C neighborhood. My tenant texted me that she was thinking about it and she would really appreciate it if we could replace the front door on the house. She said that because the house is near a liquor store and some heioron addict recently coded in the alley behind the house she would feel safer with a steel reinforced front door instead of the older wood door it has.  

The thing is, she has lived there for 18 months and until last month we never heard from her. In December there was an issue with the heat and she herself called the heating and cooling people, paid them, then told us about it a week later. So I followed up with the heating and cooling people and paid her back, but told her repairs always go through me, always, and I will always be the one to order the repair and pay the bill. I wasn't a jerk about it but was firm. She didn't like this much but said ok. Since then she had an issue with the water heater, electric panel and a flooded basement-- all in the past 6 weeks. All seemed to be legit issues but holy moly I'm getting sick of hearing from her.

So my question for all of you on Bigger Pockets... is the door replacement a reasonable request? My emotions are feeling like she is giving me a hard time for telling her that she had to contact me about repairs so I want to tell her to kick rocks but at the same time I don't want to deny a valid request that is based on her perceived safety. 

As a side note-- I have lived in that neighborhood (twice) before and sure there are heorion addicts around sometimes but it's not like they wander the streets all over day and night. It's just kind of the neighborhood.  I didn't worry about... but that's me. 

So please let me know if this request seems valid? I really need an uninterested 3rd party opinion.
Thanks all!

Loading replies...