Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Castro
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Renter lied about living in the house - anything I can do?

Jeff Castro
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Jan 27 2021, 19:45

Renter said it would be her family living in the house. She signed a 2 year lease. On the contract clearly states no sub-lease.

She terminated her lease early at only 9 months out of the 2 year lease.

The house was a mess. The carpet ruined from dog urine. Holes everywhere. Also has poop all over the walls. I can't tell if from human or dog.. either way disgusting. 

We then noticed wheel chair marks on the carpets, doors, etc. There are also toilet seats that have handles which are meant for elderly folk. (the lady that was supposed to be living there was mid 30's). 

We also started receiving packages of boxes and boxes and boxes of medicine. I mean enough to supply a small clinic. 

We also saw leftover paperwork in the drawers for someone addressed to a person whose name i didn't recognize at this address. 

So in conclusion.. we've got proof that this lady was running a hospice home health at our house! I'm not even sure if she was living there herself or having hospice patients there full time.

Question for the smart folks at BP --- what can I do? Can I go after her for breaking lease? Subleasing and running an authorized business in my house? Someone help.. I've spent a few thousand on repairs and multiple carpet cleans.

Loading replies...