Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
Fake paystubs are at an all-time high. For about $40 cheaters can buy one set of fake stubs and get an income verification. Check out the one we got yesterday. Eventually these cheaters will get smarter. Don’t tell them what they are doing wrong or they will smarten up and make their fakes harder to detect.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y
If I ever suspect something is amiss, I search for their employer contact information online (don't use what the applicant provided because it may be fake) and then I call to verify employment.
In ten years with hundreds of rentals under management, I've caught a lot of tenants exaggerating their income but I've never found one with a fake paystub. I think we have enough checks and balances in place that it would scare off all but the most experienced fraudster.
Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2020 · 106 posts · 89 votes
5y
Some property owners do not bother reporting to credit bureaus. It's extra paperwork and judgments are almost impossible to enforce without having social security numbers and/or drivers' license numbers on hand. It's just sad that scammers are now everywhere.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y
If I ever suspect something is amiss, I search for their employer contact information online (don't use what the applicant provided because it may be fake) and then I call to verify employment.
In ten years with hundreds of rentals under management, I've caught a lot of tenants exaggerating their income but I've never found one with a fake paystub. I think we have enough checks and balances in place that it would scare off all but the most experienced fraudster.
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Nathan Gesner - We have had a ton. I agree about never using a tenant’s supplied employer contact. If I suspect it is fake I also check to see if the employer is registered to do business in our state with the state corporation commission. It takes seconds to check and prove fraud pretty easily if the employer name doesn’t exist in the state database.
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Nam Trang - It drives me crazy that so many landlords are too lazy to pursue a judgment so other landlords can be warned. In my state we’re not required to have Social Security number or birthday to file a judgment, although any landlord should have both of those in their records.
@Nam Trang - It drives me crazy that so many landlords are too lazy to pursue a judgment so other landlords can be warned. In my state we’re not required to have Social Security number or birthday to file a judgment, although any landlord should have both of those in their records.
One thing that frustrates this is the big credit check sites that cater to smaller landlords (eg, cozy.co, mysmartmove, zillow's credit check) actually prevent you from seeing their SSN (and probably DOB but I can't remember). I have to use a 2-stage application where the 1st stage is a paper application which collects SSN/DOB, partially because of that.
If I ever suspect something is amiss, I search for their employer contact information online (don't use what the applicant provided because it may be fake) and then I call to verify employment.
In ten years with hundreds of rentals under management, I've caught a lot of tenants exaggerating their income but I've never found one with a fake paystub. I think we have enough checks and balances in place that it would scare off all but the most experienced fraudster.
I suspect this activity is highly regional and much more pronounced in renter dominated markets. just my thought on it.
for me they all fib LOL.. I kind of like this new gig I have with this company out of Chicago that places insurance cases. its worked out very well for me in Vegas.. The company takes on the tenant trashed my house liability. And insurance is paying the monthly which is over double the going rate.. Probably just got lucky with a one off..
If I ever suspect something is amiss, I search for their employer contact information online (don't use what the applicant provided because it may be fake) and then I call to verify employment.
In ten years with hundreds of rentals under management, I've caught a lot of tenants exaggerating their income but I've never found one with a fake paystub. I think we have enough checks and balances in place that it would scare off all but the most experienced fraudster.
I suspect this activity is highly regional and much more pronounced in renter dominated markets. just my thought on it.
for me they all fib LOL.. I kind of like this new gig I have with this company out of Chicago that places insurance cases. its worked out very well for me in Vegas.. The company takes on the tenant trashed my house liability. And insurance is paying the monthly which is over double the going rate.. Probably just got lucky with a one off..
"The company takes on the tenant trashed my house liability." Can you say more about this? Is this like Rhino? Been contemplating that.
If I ever suspect something is amiss, I search for their employer contact information online (don't use what the applicant provided because it may be fake) and then I call to verify employment.
In ten years with hundreds of rentals under management, I've caught a lot of tenants exaggerating their income but I've never found one with a fake paystub. I think we have enough checks and balances in place that it would scare off all but the most experienced fraudster.
I suspect this activity is highly regional and much more pronounced in renter dominated markets. just my thought on it.
for me they all fib LOL.. I kind of like this new gig I have with this company out of Chicago that places insurance cases. its worked out very well for me in Vegas.. The company takes on the tenant trashed my house liability. And insurance is paying the monthly which is over double the going rate.. Probably just got lucky with a one off..
"The company takes on the tenant trashed my house liability." Can you say more about this? Is this like Rhino? Been contemplating that.
SEnd me a pm and I will send you back the company name they are located in Chi town and this is the 2nd or 3rd one I have done with them the others were in Indy.
South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 374 posts · 432 votes
5y
@Patti Robertson
I require tax returns and bank statements. The bank statement credit entries should correlate with the paystub info exactly which should correlate with the tax return. I’m sure all of this could also be faked but I don’t rent the level of units that someone would go to such lengths to lease my properties.
I also personally interview and do a social media screen. Everything has to add up. If you survive all of that and you’re fake, good for you.
I require tax returns and bank statements. The bank statement credit entries should correlate with the paystub info exactly which should correlate with the tax return. I’m sure all of this could also be faked but I don’t rent the level of units that someone would go to such lengths to lease my properties.
I also personally interview and do a social media screen. Everything has to add up. If you survive all of that and you’re fake, good for you.
you can have them sign that form that banks use to send to the IRS to receive the tax return straight from the IRS so you can compare simply way to easy to fake a tax return.. lenders figured that out..
For everything about a house I can guarantee the professional tenants have a way around .. I saw this with my properties in the deed south.. power hooked up via cloths hanger direct to the power line and meter.. or just steal someone else meter and swap it out.. water meters by passed snip the line go right around the meter. These are skills that are handed down from generation to generation it seems.
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y
@Quincy Lockett made some great points about social media screening. Once I am 99% sure we are accepting a tenant, I put their info in my google contacts so that all the social media sites make it easy to find them. Then I check Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. This is just one more data point you can check, but it has saved my bacon a few times.
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
While I agree that we all need to be on our tiptoes when reviewing applicant data, some of the items pointed out in the above image could easily be explained..... many companies give bonuses and they sometimes get added to the January payroll..... also, some companies do 1x/month payroll, bi weekly, etc etc.
Besides the erroneous math what immediately stood out to me is the large "COPY" printed over the pay stub. I have never seen a paystub with that. Esp if it is a paystub the EE can print from the ER/payroll portal
I would suggest doing a google search for the employer and calling the number found..... HR wont give you much info but you at least can find out if the company is real.
ETA: the paydate/number of payrolls is actually correct for a every other week pay schedule.... i January there is 3 pay periods....Jan 1, Jan 15 and Jan 29...... so while this is a scammy paystub its not for some of the reasons pointed out.
Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2021 · 42 posts · 23 votes
5y
So take this however you’d like, but I’ve used fake paystubs myself. Let me start by saying that all the information I put is 100% accurate. I work for a small family owned business, and our check stubs have no info on them whatsoever besides amount of pay that week and taxes withheld (No YTD amounts) So, on some occasions I’ve printed check stubs to reflect my actual pay instead of waiting the two weeks it seems to take the business’ CPA to print me out a statement showing figures.
So, in the fake pay stub world I’m sure I’m a rare one in using my real info. Again, this has been very rare when I’ve used them. They’re $8.99 a piece from the website I use. Fairly sophisticated as far as doing the calculations (if you’re not putting truthful info)
The one I use is Realpaycheckstubs dot com or something along those lines
May be worth checking the site to see ALL of the different templates they have so everyone can be on the lookout for them.
I work in Insurance (mostly auto) and a lot of my business is from car dealerships. These are FAR more in use in the Car Dealerships then it is in the Rental market from my experience. In fact MANY salespeople regularly print fake pay stubs for there customers just so they can sell a car.
Pay stubs have been essentially worthless for verification for a few years now. The services that generate convincing fakes are cheap and easy to find. What's actually worked for me: ask for 3 months of bank statements AND cross-reference the employer name/deposit amounts against each other. Inconsistencies show up fast when you compare both side by side. Also — if they're W2, you can request a Wage and Income transcript directly from the IRS (Form 4506-C). Takes longer but it's the only document that can't be faked.