Hi, I am looking to convert my tuff shed (8 X 6 ft) into a small office room. I am planning to add a window AC unit to cool the shed. I am based in bay area and my contractor is saying that I don't need to add insulation and the room gets too hot. The shed already has a silver liner type material and he says that is sufficient. I am not sure if he is trying to cut corners so I wanted to check if that is the case. Do I need to add additional insulation behind the interior drywall?
Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
5y
@Shantan Kajjam your contractor is wacked. You are going through the process of installing power and AC, you should definitely spend the few hundred dollars for the insulation. The walls are open, put insulation in now. The cost and time to do it is minimal. Seriously a guy with a truck could go to Home Depot get the rolls and install it in the shed before lunch time.
Investor · Reading PA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 18 votes
5y
I have converted my tuff shed into a studio and I definitely recommend insulation! What comes with the tuff shed will not do much at all. The comfort and quite you get from actually insulating is well worth it. I used rock wool insulation that works well in 2x4 walls. I also added an insulator below my hard vinyl flooring. which was sort a super thick vinyl and carpet padding. Then put cheap plywood on top and covered with vinyl flooring. It actually maintains temp quite well considering its a tuff shed. Best of luck!
Brazoria County · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 24 votes
5y
I did similar conversion on a cargo trailer to make it into a mobile work office. Also youtube shed to house for ideas. Insulation is your friend!!
I would recommend the close cell sprayfoam for insulation (~$400-600) or the ridgid pink foam. Batt will sag on slopes while the others are self supporting. In a shed, I would recommend a thin (~3/8") panel over sheetrock. You loose less headroom and can stil hang items. Ensure you have adequate ventilation with windows and AC because the sprayfoam will seal all cracks.
It would make sense to do it and in that small a space it shouldn't cost a whole lot. If you're putting up drywall you may as well put some insulation in between. If your HVAC unit is powerful enough it sounds like you can achieve climate control without the insulation but your HVAC is going to work harder and longer to achieve the temperature you want. He may not be cutting corners as much as trying to save you money.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y
The contractor is going to get paid for his time, so why would he care?
Yes, you should insulate. It's not "necessary" because it's a small space, but it will make it more efficient so your A/C isn't running on high and distracting you and it should help reduce noise from outside.