Hey guys - we just started renting out a unit and have someone who is interested but refuses to do background checks (says: I am not applying for a job - why should I do a background check). He claims to have sold his house (no landlord references) and divorced his wife and wants a place for himself and his dog. He claims to be retired (no employment letter).
We have just started advertising - what should we do? Thanks!
Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2018 · 309 posts · 264 votes
5y
Alex, in short, move on to the next. Stick to your criteria, if it includes landlord reference, background check, and employment verification, and they won't provide you with any of that, don't even think twice about considering them. My guess is extra month of vacancy will cost a lot less than renting out to this person.
Real Estate Agent · Lake Geneva, WI · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 10 votes
5y
@Alex Kovalenko
1) find another friggin tenant because there are plenty of people looking. Advertise ‘proof of either income or 3mo rent + background check required’
2) look up your state fair housing regulations as well as landlord tenant law. 
Of course you have the right to require potential tenants to prove they can afford to live at your property, right? No proof? No dice. Shady.
And think about it: don’t you have the right to refuse tenancy to sex offenders and violent criminals? Well that requires looking at a background check! So yes you can require a background check - and if they say no you can ask them to leave your office :-)
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
wait.... he refuses? how can he refuse? did he fill out an application? if so and if the application is SOP for this sector, then he agreed to the background check when he signed the application
also before you do anything else get yourself some tenant/landlord education. You need to have a foundation of the system and how it works, the laws etc. Find your local rental owners association then take every training they have. You are playing a game without the rules and basically blindfolded! :)
Let me jump on this dead horse. No, you should not proceed any further with this individual.
Your policy should be that every adult gets screened. If a wealthy grandma, her 45-year-old daughter, and her 23-year-old granddaughter are all moving in together and grandma can easily pay all the bills, you still screen the other two because they may have criminal issues. You need to know their ability to pay but also their ability to act like civil human beings.
This guy is recently divorced. RED FLAG! Newly divorced people tend to engage in reckless behavior like excess drinking, partying, "entertaining" guests that are mentally unstable, move jobs, etc. If he's divorced and retired, he has plenty of time on his hands to get in trouble.
I'm not saying he's guaranteed bad. I'm saying there are some red flags that indicate there's a good chance he's got issues. The fact that he doesn't want you looking into his background seems to confirm that.
for those reading along - check you local laws - there may be laws on the books that tell you what you can and cannot do..... for example I can not run a credit check on any applicant that is "not financially responsible" so in the above scenario if grandma is taking full financial responsibility I cant check credit of the other two. Backgrounds? yes, but not credit.
also, dont discriminate! not on race, age, religion or familial status (ie they are divorced) this is a sure way to get sued.
IMO it is imperative for each rental owner/manager to know the laws for their particular area.
Rental Property Investor · Tampa Bay Area, FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 19 votes
5y
@Alex Kovalenko, the applicant might be new to the application process given a lack of experience as a renter but don't let that be used against you. This applicant will quickly find out the standard requirements for applying for any rental unit by a professional company or landlord. He may be in search of a unexperienced landlord to waive basic requirements just to repeatedly request special treatment. Tell him that every applicant must complete the application process in full to be considered... Period.
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
@JD Martin identified the problem with this applicant-- his unwillingness to accept your process. This is one of the cons that entitled manipulators use to check you out-- will you back off your requirements and offer them the 'special' treatment that they believe they deserve? The correct answer is nope. My lease is non-negotiable and my application process is non-negotiable.
Rental Property Investor · Canandaigua, NY · Member since 2019 · 57 posts · 36 votes
5y
@Alex Kovalenko
Set your criteria and stick to it. If you say a background check is required then do it for everyone. If the person does not want one done then I would move onto the next person.
Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
5y
I'm chuckling because I once showed a tiny condo to a man who claimed to be a truck driver, who would only sleep in it a couple of nights per week, it would be cheaper than a hotel, for some reason he thought that meant he didn't need a background check. He left rather than agree to it. He had an unusual name and sure enough, turned up in the paper the next year as he was arrested for some organized crime related issue. I can only imagine what would have happened had I agreed.
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Alex Kovalenko Tel him in the spirit of fair housing you must put everyone through the same process and this is one of your requirements. If he wants to apply, he mist agree to any inquires regarding his income, credit, criminal, and civil
Judgments. He has something he doesn’t want you to know. Just ask - is there something you are worried we will find? Tell me what it is and I’ll tell you if it’s something I can live with.
Judgments. He has something he doesn’t want you to know. Just ask - is there something you are worried we will find? Tell me what it is and I’ll tell you if it’s something I can live with.
I wouldn't even go that far. As soon as you demonstrate to me that you're a PITA you are out of here. I once had a prospective tenant go back inside the bank and get their deposit back after they texted me a receipt showing only half the necessary deposit made. When I called them to inquire what the deal was, they told me on the phone they didn't think it was fair that they should have to pay the first month's rent before they moved in. I told them go inside and get your money back because I am moving on to the next candidate and you are not renting my property. They were in shock but I didn't care; you show me that you can't get with the program? Then you can rent from some other sap that will put up with your nonsense.
Investor · Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2017 · 128 posts · 73 votes
5y
I would also say if you are not doing it, add whatever little fee that also checks for evictions. Some new investors I helped I found out we're not doing this as they were afraid too much of an application fee would keep them from getting tenants. However, those that are willing to pay and those who are not are also part of the screening on who can budget for things like finding a place. Make sure you are looking for those who have been brought to court on evictions. That doesn't mean they could not have fallen on hard times one year and are doing great now, but you need to know.
Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 13 votes
5y
@Alex Kovalenko Move on. Make sure to stick with your minimum requirements (a background check should be one of them to protect your asset). Fast forward a bit and imagine him as a tenant...sounds like he'll be difficult.
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
there are websites out there that do credit and background checks for a reasonable amount... they also can directly charge the applicant for the fee. I am NOT affiliated with this website in ANY WAY , but I use myrental.com by Corelogic. (again I am NOT affiliated with this website in any way - I just find it useful in my business)
Real Estate Agent · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 38 votes
5y
@Alex Kovalenko It’s important to learn how to spot Red Flags when you become a landlord. Everything you’ve stated could be a red flag, if a tenant can’t follow simple guidelines as to how to apply and fill out the rental application and background check then they should not be considered as a potential tenant. It’s as simple as that and don’t go back on your standards and operating/management procedures. I would also consider someone who refuses to do something simple I request of them as difficult to deal with and I wouldn’t want that person as a tenant, let alone if they can’t provide references or proof of income. Save yourself a hassle down the road and find another tenant. Or ask him for his ex wife’s number and contact her as a reference...😂
Rental Property Investor · Crystal Bay · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 38 votes
5y
@Alex Kovalenko
Everybody looks legit when they are trying to rent your place... they will tell you what you want to hear.
If you really need to rent out the place I would tell them it’s month to month and get a large deposit up front and make sure your contract has everything in it. It should be easier to get a job than take over someones house.
Here are some I heard-
“Oh the dog is really well trained” = never been trained
“my roommates are super chill” = they will never clean anything