My second ADU project in the Bay Area (why and how?)

My second ADU project in the Bay Area (why and how?)

Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes

Hi everyone,

I've got tremendous help and support from this forum in the past 3 years. To give back to this community, I thought I'd share information on the second ADU project I'm working on in Santa Clara. I posted about my first ADU project in San Jose back in 2019 and shared 3D visual, pictures and numbers if you are interested: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Building an ADU could be a daunting task and takes a lot of $$ and effort. So why is ADU a good idea?

The short answer: strong cash flow and immediate equity creation! It's been almost 2 years since my ADU project in San Jose was completed. I not only found (and kept) amazing tenants but also took out a home equity loan (through Figure.com) from the San Jose property at really good rates (whole process took 5 business days from application to money in my bank). Thanks to the red hot housing market, I was able to take out $250k, $50k more than the initial $200k that I invested into the San Jose ADU project. I'm planning on using the $250k home equity loan towards my second ADU project in Santa Clara.

In fact, I realized that as long as I can create strong cash flow for each of my ADU projects, I can just rinse and repeat this process - invest the equity created from the last ADU project into building the next ADU. If done right, the rents from the last ADU would more than cover the home equity loan monthly payments + increased property tax.

A little more about the Santa Clara ADU project I'm working on now:

With the experience from the first project, this time around I'm more confident about who I should work with, budget, timeline, what kind of tenants and rents I'm able to get, and of course things to watch out for. In addition, California loosened the ADU regulations at the beginning of 2020. All bay area cities reduced fees, and made it easier for homeowners to build larger ADUs, which also made my decision easier.

This time, I'm building a 2B1B 1200 sqft detached ADU in Santa Clara. The reason I designed a 2B1B instead of a 2B2B is that Santa Clara only allows 1 bathroom maximum at this time. However, I do expect the codes to relax overtime, so my architect designed a large walk in closet for one of the bedrooms that could be potentially converted into a bathroom in the event that Santa Clara allows a 2nd bathroom for ADUs in the future. Here's the floor plan if you are interested:

I budgeted about $400k total for this project. Will see if I can pull this off.

Other factors taken into account:

1. Time horizon. I'm a buy-and-hold investor and I'm planning on holding on the property for decades, so instead of immediate resale value (which ADU doesn't compare very well with perhaps other rehab/flip projects), I care much more about long-term cash flow and long-term resale value. In the long-term, I think SFH with ADUs will sell very well because I do believe multi-generational living will be more and more common with 1) more immigrants moving to the bay area with their elderly parents and 2) baby boomers starting to take care of their elderly parents who need long-term care. Demographics are in favor of ADUs for sure. Also, who doesn't like additional rental income to help with the mortgage payments? But the ADU design needs to take these various scenarios into account and create enough separation/privacy between the 2 households living on the same lot.

2. Rental market in the bay area. When the pandemic first hit in 2020, I wasn't very sure about building ADU since everyone started working from home and the bay area rental market was suffering as more people moved to cheaper places. However, since the vaccine rollout started, I saw more and more people moving back to the bay, and I'm confident most tech companies in the bay area are going to adopt a hybrid working model instead of a 100% remote model, which still requires people to live close to the offices/campuses.

3. Cost of construction is going up every year (raw materials, labor, fees, etc.). So if you are contemplating on building an ADU, it doesn't hurt to start planning early. To me, the earlier I can start and finish the project, the lower the building cost will be and the earlier I can achieve better cash flow. Each day of delay is $$ lost.

4. Effort and commitment. It IS hard work to build an ADU and it will take roughly a year from planning to finding tenants, but once it's done, you will benefit from the hard work for decades. So you want to make sure you are mentally prepared for the hard work going in and are committed to see it through. It will be a very gratifying process. Because of the large investment and high stakes, don't underestimate the importance of choosing the right designer & contractor to work with. You want experienced experts that can guide you through the process, not someone who adds additional stress to the whole process.


Lastly, happy to answer any questions. Would love to connect with you if you are also building ADUs in the Bay Area.

Cheers,

Chen

5Reply
196 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 679 posts · 888 votes
5y

@Chen Zhou nice job. I built one ADU in San Mateo and completed last year. Building one 3000 sf new house in Hayward.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thanks Chen for sharing. We are getting ready to break ground on our first ADU in the Sacramento area. We already have interest in renting. What ae if any lessons learned that you could share?- Jennifer

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Lloyd:

    Thanks Chen for sharing. We are getting ready to break ground on our first ADU in the Sacramento area. We already have interest in renting. What ae if any lessons learned that you could share?- Jennifer

    Congrats! Great that there's already interest for renting!

    I'd say 1) check on site regularly to identify problems early before it's too late, 2) can start to look for finishing materials already so that you can find the best deals, 3) think about outdoor space for the ADU already so that you can plan for plants, sprinkler system, etc. early.

    Good luck! And would love to hear how things go for you!

  • Developer · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    Great share Chen. 1-4 on point! I am building 2 in the Sunset District (south SF). Would love to connect. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Pavan Sandhu:

    Great share Chen. 1-4 on point! I am building 2 in the Sunset District (south SF). Would love to connect. 

     Would love to hear your experience!

  • Real Estate Broker · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 679 posts · 888 votes
    5y

    @Chen Zhou nice job. I built one ADU in San Mateo and completed last year. Building one 3000 sf new house in Hayward.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David Song:

    @Chen Zhou nice job. I built one ADU in San Mateo and completed last year. Building one 3000 sf new house in Hayward.

     Congrats! Would love to hear more about your experience in San Mateo and Hayward. 

  • Victor BaqueroPro Member
    Investor · Sacramento · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    I just finished a full remodel of a 4/2 SFR in the Arden-Arcade area of Sacramento. The home had 2/1 addition done in the 80s. I basically closed off the addition to the main house, did a full remodel (roof, floors, windows, electrical, plumbing, etc) and separated both units through Sacramento County. Now each has a separate address and utilities. They rented very easily and the cash flow is great. Permitting and getting the ADU address separated from the main house was a huge hassle. Now I'm refinancing to pull my cash out and the appraiser won't appraise the ADU. They say that they are not required to appraise it. Huge battle with the generic appraiser quicken loans sent over. They just have no clue what to do with an ADU since there are no good comps available. Word of warning: Appraisals can be very challenging in Sac and in the Bay Area when an ADU is involved.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Victor Baquero:

    I just finished a full remodel of a 4/2 SFR in the Arden-Arcade area of Sacramento. The home had 2/1 addition done in the 80s. I basically closed off the addition to the main house, did a full remodel (roof, floors, windows, electrical, plumbing, etc) and separated both units through Sacramento County. Now each has a separate address and utilities. They rented very easily and the cash flow is great. Permitting and getting the ADU address separated from the main house was a huge hassle. Now I'm refinancing to pull my cash out and the appraiser won't appraise the ADU. They say that they are not required to appraise it. Huge battle with the generic appraiser quicken loans sent over. They just have no clue what to do with an ADU since there are no good comps available. Word of warning: Appraisals can be very challenging in Sac and in the Bay Area when an ADU is involved.

    Why don't you give Figure.com a try? They do digital appraisal, and typically gives very generous valuation. You can get the loan within 5 business days.  

  • Developer · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    @Victor Baquero when I was searching for a cash out refinance strategy on my first ADU, I got 5 different appraisals before finding the perfect one. You cannot get the best value with a desktop or light appraisal. Key to is going to be to get an appraiser to value your property highest possible way. You may have to battle and do some work to get the right appraisal but I assure you it will be worth it. Lots of great ways to fight a low appraisals especially on ADUs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 112 votes
    5y

    Great job Zhou, is are you buying the investment property and adding an ADU? if that is true, what is the criterion you use to choose the investment property?

  • Member since 2020 · 437 posts · 675 votes
    5y

    Thanks for sharing your experience. I am curious on why you think everyone will like an ADU. I think there will definitely be investment minded folks but most folks would prefer privacy and a distance between themselves and their tenants. I agree with the rest of the points on remote/hybrid work, increasing cost of construction etc.

  • Developer · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    @Justin Thorpe if the lot and location is right, you could easily fence it off to feel more privacy. I've seen it done and done it myself. My ADU is on the back half of my property. The tenant comes and goes as they please without me ever knowing or caring.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Justin Thorpe:

    Thanks for sharing your experience. I am curious on why you think everyone will like an ADU. I think there will definitely be investment minded folks but most folks would prefer privacy and a distance between themselves and their tenants. I agree with the rest of the points on remote/hybrid work, increasing cost of construction etc.

    I think it depends on the neighborhood, the lot size, and the design of the ADU.

    If it's a high-end wealthy neighborhood (think Los Altos, Menlo Park, Palo Alto) where all the main houses are giant, maybe the potential buyers would just think of an ADU as a bonus, but not as something they want to pay a lot of $$ for, since they are most likely not going to use the ADU as a rental, but more like a guest house or an office.

    However, if it's in a neighborhood where most buyers are younger folks who have young kids and elderly parents (think Santa Clara, San Jose, Fremont, etc.), then ADU is very appropriate as child care and caring for elderly parents are big & real needs among this demographic. Also, a lot of these young professionals want to have separate office space (to maintain work life separation) and can use the quiet space in ADU to WFH. More space is definitely not a bad thing, and nobody is required to rent the ADU out. However, they would have the option to, if they feel like they need some extra cash flow.

    Lastly, it's important to know that not all the lots are appropriate for ADUs. If the lot is too small, might be better to just do an addition instead of a detached ADU to create more living space. If the lot is big enough, then a well-designed ADU (with their own private yard and entrance) should NOT interfere with the life of people living in the main house NOR should it decrease the quality of life of the people living in the main house. It should increase the quality of their life by providing more optionality.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Raju Balakrishnan:

    Great job Zhou, is are you buying the investment property and adding an ADU? if that is true, what is the criterion you use to choose the investment property?

    Great question! I would pick ADU appropriate lot in an ADU appropriate neighborhood.

    ADU appropriate lot means that 1) the lot has to be big enough (ideally over 7000 sqft with deep backyard) so that adding a 500-1200 sqft ADU is not going to make the yard super crowded and can allow both households to maintain privacy. On these big lots, adding an ADU would NOT decrease the quality of life of the people living in the main house.

    Neighborhood appropriate means that the main demographics buying houses in the neighborhood would appreciate an ADU that they are willing to pay $$ for it. Typically neighborhoods where a lot of young families live (since they need child care support from family, or need to take care of elderly family member, or appreciate separate home office space, etc.)

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Pavan Sandhu:

    @Justin Thorpe if the lot and location is right, you could easily fence it off to feel more privacy. I've seen it done and done it myself. My ADU is on the back half of my property. The tenant comes and goes as they please without me ever knowing or caring.

     Great point on the importance of a good design and your earlier post on appraisals! 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    In 2019 I planned to build ADU as well but after researching about the appraisal issue, I end up just buying a duplex with the same amount of money and have no appraisal issue. I guess ADU is very good for family sharing especially if the location is good. Also building ADU in Palo Alto is uncomparable as to build one in east San Jose. You want to build ADU where the land price is extremely expensive, but not so much in lower priced area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Carlos Ptriawan:

    In 2019 I planned to build ADU as well but after researching about the appraisal issue, I end up just buying a duplex with the same amount of money and have no appraisal issue. I guess ADU is very good for family sharing especially if the location is good. Also building ADU in Palo Alto is uncomparable as to build one in east San Jose. You want to build ADU where the land price is extremely expensive, but not so much in lower priced area.

    Hi Carlos, thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing the numbers for the Duplex? Is it in the bay area as well? I considered that as well, but realized that I would need a lot more capital and cannot achieve the same cash flow.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Hi Chen, It's 9% cap rate duplex or 1.7x-1.8x DSCR with 25% down. Pretty good.
    With ADU I know I can rent for 0.8-0.9 rent ratio but the problem is the appraisal, as at one point of time, the property will be sold anyway and I don't want to stuck in the house.

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Nice work Chen!

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Carlos Ptriawan:

    Hi Chen, It's 9% cap rate duplex or 1.7x-1.8x DSCR with 25% down. Pretty good.
    With ADU I know I can rent for 0.8-0.9 rent ratio but the problem is the appraisal, as at one point of time, the property will be sold anyway and I don't want to stuck in the house.

    That's amazing! So I assume it's not in the bay area then.

    Appraisal in the short term is challenging, but hopefully in a few years it's going to get better with more comps.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Hello @Chen Zhou , it's in North Bay Area.
    In fact I'm trying to sell it right now after few months only, the price is already increased by $100K.

    Redfin/Realtor 
    is showing that. It's precisely reason why I'm buying for appreciation.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    The way I changed my mind is after analyzing all the facts related to the resale of ADU and measure the rate of change in every county in bay area. The opportunity still exist in Contra costa county at least last year, same 9% cap rate last year by this month has experienced 6% cap rate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Carlos Ptriawan:

    Hello @Chen Zhou , it's in North Bay Area.
    In fact I'm trying to sell it right now after few months only, the price is already increased by $100K.

    Redfin/Realtor 
    is showing that. It's precisely reason why I'm buying for appreciation.

    Got it! That's amazing timing! If you are buying primarily for appreciation, then definitely there are better options than ADU.

    ADU is mainly for great cash flow today and appreciation in the future. Good for long-term holding, not for quick flip.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Carlos Ptriawan:

    The way I changed my mind is after analyzing all the facts related to the resale of ADU and measure the rate of change in every county in bay area. The opportunity still exist in Contra costa county at least last year, same 9% cap rate last year by this month has experienced 6% cap rate.

    Yeah, no multi-unit (duplex - fourplex) in South Bay and places like Fremont can give you positive cash flow anymore. The market is indeed crazy. Good to know that 6% cap rate is still possible in Contra Costa County. I think cap rate on ADU can easily be 15%-20%, even with the high construction cost in the Bay Area today.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    yea in south bay the price per unit is about 550K with 2500 rent. Not suitable for investment as it's less than 4 % cap rate.

    but back in the day, 2009, even duplex in san jose is still around 6%. Not too interesting for investment, ADU can be super good for cash flow especially if you can make it multiple unit in one land but they wouldn't allow it :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.