Woman's husband fights boyfriend during a showing!

Woman's husband fights boyfriend during a showing!

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes

A woman wants to look at one of my rentals. She shows up with her husband and starts checking the place out. A few minutes later, her boyfriend shows up and gets into a fist fight with the husband. Long story short, there's damage to a few walls and the cops are on the hunt for him.

The boyfriend contacts me via facebook (I've known him for six years) and asks me to call him so he can apologize and offer payment for the damages.

Life as a property manager in a small town is never boring!

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
35Reply
125 views

Most Popular Reply

WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

I thought this was another one of Jim K's specials, but Nathan did not disappoint. How was the fight, btw? Better than Floyd vs that youtube guy, I hope? lol 

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Nathan Gesner you get to have all the fun! I read that wrong several times! LOL

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I once had an "extended" family come to view a large house I had up for rent.  It's not unusual that a couple might bring a friend or relative with them during a viewing but in this case the deal was mom and dad, the married daughter and her husband and one child were interested in renting together.  The house was big enough (and spread out well) that each family would have their own privacy.

    Unfortunately mom did not like the choice of husband her daughter made and commented about this.  The daughter took offense and started arguing with mom in front of me as we are all standing in the kitchen.  The husbands played smart and kept their mouths shut. The two women ended up shouting at each other and before any swinging took place I spoke up and said "the tour of this house is over".

    They two women both apologized but they saw the writing on the wall regarding these two families living together.

    Gail

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    5y

    @Nathan Gesner So did you rent it to them? 

    That's wild! At least the boyfriend was nice enough to offer to pay for damages 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jon Kelly:

    @Nathan Gesner So did you rent it to them? 

    That's wild! At least the boyfriend was nice enough to offer to pay for damages 

    LOL! No, I won't be renting to them.

    In fact, I'll be using it as a training opportunity for my staff. Why? This woman came in to look at a rental three weeks ago with her boyfriend. She mentioned she was being evicted so I told her she wouldn't qualify to rent from me. The next day the boyfriend called me (I've known him personally for about ten years) and begged me to give them a chance because he's really turned his life around. His speech was heavily slurred and it was only 4pm. Two days later he was arrested on drug charges.

    I shared all this with my staff as it happened. Even though I told this woman she would not qualify to rent anything from us at this time, my staff still allowed her to look at something and now we have holes in the wall.

    Create policies, stick to them. It's the best for everyone concerned.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    Cut from this morning's police blotter.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    Cut from this morning's police blotter.

    Allow me to reassert my position: you don't get paid enough, Nathan. I could not imagine for a minute dealing with what I have to if I wasn't getting all the rent. Least of all this crime blotter crap.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    Cut from this morning's police blotter.

    Allow me to reassert my position: you don't get paid enough, Nathan. I could not imagine for a minute dealing with what I have to if I wasn't getting all the rent. Least of all this crime blotter crap.

    Trust me, I'm well paid and this is the first time anything like this has happened in 11 years of management. 

    Just two hours before this incident, I saw someone getting ready to pass out and managed to catch them before they hit the floor. Life's all about balance.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 667 posts · 587 votes
    5y

    @Nathan GesnerNext time someone posts the question "is paying a property manager worth it?" - post the link to this story. These are the types of incidents that new landlords don't anticipate running into. 

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:
    Originally posted by @Jon Kelly:

    @Nathan Gesner So did you rent it to them? 

    That's wild! At least the boyfriend was nice enough to offer to pay for damages 

    LOL! No, I won't be renting to them.

    In fact, I'll be using it as a training opportunity for my staff. Why? This woman came in to look at a rental three weeks ago with her boyfriend. She mentioned she was being evicted so I told her she wouldn't qualify to rent from me. The next day the boyfriend called me (I've known him personally for about ten years) and begged me to give them a chance because he's really turned his life around. His speech was heavily slurred and it was only 4pm. Two days later he was arrested on drug charges.

    I shared all this with my staff as it happened. Even though I told this woman she would not qualify to rent anything from us at this time, my staff still allowed her to look at something and now we have holes in the wall.

    Create policies, stick to them. It's the best for everyone concerned. 

    Nicely done! Always good to take a negative situation and turn it into a learning opportunity. It sounds like this could've been a lot worse, but a couple hundred $ and some spackle is worth a great story and a learning opportunity. 

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I thought this was another one of Jim K's specials, but Nathan did not disappoint. How was the fight, btw? Better than Floyd vs that youtube guy, I hope? lol 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    I thought this was another one of Jim K's specials, but Nathan did not disappoint. How was the fight, btw? Better than Floyd vs that youtube guy, I hope? lol 

    I haven't looked at it yet, but will try to post pictures. The office said the holes are from someone's head being slammed into the wall.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    I thought this was another one of Jim K's specials, but Nathan did not disappoint. How was the fight, btw? Better than Floyd vs that youtube guy, I hope? lol 

    I haven't looked at it yet, but will try to post pictures. The office said the holes are from someone's head being slammed into the wall.

    sounds more like a WWE event lol

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    A woman wants to look at one of my rentals. She shows up with her husband and starts checking the place out. A few minutes later, her boyfriend shows up and gets into a fist fight with the husband. Long story short, there's damage to a few walls and the cops are on the hunt for him.

    The boyfriend contacts me via facebook (I've known him for six years) and asks me to call him so he can apologize and offer payment for the damages.

    Life as a property manager in a small town is never boring!

    I always think of Wyoming as being beautiful and peaceful and only nice folks there, and my city (LA) and my former city (New York) as being the main places all the crazy folks are. Not the case!  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    Not too bad. It will give the owner motivation to get rid of this color!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    I thought this was another one of Jim K's specials, but Nathan did not disappoint. How was the fight, btw? Better than Floyd vs that youtube guy, I hope? lol 

    What? What isn't believable about inheriting money from a stripper tenant, or finding a million bucks stacked in a wall, or having a leprechaun give you a pot of gold as a thank-you gift?

    All more believable than Mayweather holding the guy up as he pounded him.

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    I thought this was another one of Jim K's specials, but Nathan did not disappoint. How was the fight, btw? Better than Floyd vs that youtube guy, I hope? lol 

    What? What isn't believable about inheriting money from a stripper tenant, or finding a million bucks stacked in a wall, or having a leprechaun give you a pot of gold as a thank-you gift?

    All more believable than Mayweather holding the guy up as he pounded him.

    never accused you of being a fairy-tale writer, Jim :)

  • Member since 2020 · 437 posts · 675 votes
    5y

    @Nathan G.

    Sounds like a hybrid of the house-hunters & Jerry Springer show.

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Next time set up video cameras, you can sell this story. Were they wearing cowboy hats and snip toed boots? All the more colorful to go with the brown wall. 2 million hits

  • Rental Property Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Nathan G.

    Hi Nathan,

    This story is priceless! You should compile all your crazy stories into a book. I bet would be the 1st RE/Comedy book ever written. Fun and educational!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    A woman wants to look at one of my rentals. She shows up with her husband and starts checking the place out. A few minutes later, her boyfriend shows up and gets into a fist fight with the husband. Long story short, there's damage to a few walls and the cops are on the hunt for him.

    The boyfriend contacts me via facebook (I've known him for six years) and asks me to call him so he can apologize and offer payment for the damages.

    Life as a property manager in a small town is never boring!

     You got weird friends bro.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    I thought this was another one of Jim K's specials, but Nathan did not disappoint. How was the fight, btw? Better than Floyd vs that youtube guy, I hope? lol 

    I haven't looked at it yet, but will try to post pictures. The office said the holes are from someone's head being slammed into the wall.

    Considering the width of an average human skull, I'm amazed they managed to miss the wall studs! 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    A woman wants to look at one of my rentals. She shows up with her husband and starts checking the place out. A few minutes later, her boyfriend shows up and gets into a fist fight with the husband. Long story short, there's damage to a few walls and the cops are on the hunt for him.

    The boyfriend contacts me via facebook (I've known him for six years) and asks me to call him so he can apologize and offer payment for the damages.

    Life as a property manager in a small town is never boring!

     You got weird friends bro.

     
    😂You got to take what you can get in a town the size of Cody!


    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    This is the kind of entertainment I needed as a pick me up today.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Nathan Gesner   It takes all kinds at least this one gave you a call and said he will make it right. And yep that color has to go.
     I had some reservations when one of my tenants asked for her ex-husband to move in with her and her husband but so far no issues. I thought when she asked ohh.. that's an amicable divorce.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    @James Wise he was clean for many years and going to my church, but that was five years ago. Now we're just acquaintances but he's still on my semi-retired facebook page. Regardless, we're in a small town and he could track me down five ways to Sunday without any effort.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.