12 showings but no renter yet

12 showings but no renter yet

Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes

So I have shown this apartment more than 12 times and still don't have a renter.

One family said they wanted it but didn't make their appointment to give me a security deposit so I called them and they said they didn't have the money.

Another person that moved to Chicago from California last week with no job and a 550 credit score wanted it but I think that's way too much risk.

It's a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath apartment in a house. Freshly painted, free washer and drier, high ceilings, nice ss appliances, central heat and a/c, also a private rooftop deck.

If there's one "downside" there's a pool in the backyard and there's only street parking.

Rent is $1500 which is about average for a 3 bedroom in an apartment building let alone a spacious house.

I've listed it on craigslist and have had at least 20 calls and over a dozen showings. Everyone that comes says they love it but I'm beginning to think I missed something. I charge a $50 application fee per ap regardless of the number of applicants.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on how I can get this place rented? This is my first rental and I'm curious if its normal to go 0 for like this.

0Reply
133 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
13y

Sharon Hiebing let us take a look at this. We saw this once before.

Gary Clark, $1400 to $2200 is a HUGE range. Those are not apples to apples. You need to do a detailed assessment of the other units that are for rent and figure out your correct rent. In my market, 12 showings without a tenant means its overpriced, plain and simple.

You're calling this an apartment, but it is not. Its one unit in a duplex. It doesn't have the amenities of an apartment, which may turn off some applicants. Its upstairs (walk up, I'd guess) and that may turn off others. At the least, being upstairs means a discount vs. a similar unit on the ground floor. You need to find other very similar units and figure out their rates.

Ask the people who look at it what they think and what else they are seeing. They have actually looked at other properties. They know what's out there and may be able to help you identify the issue.

See this reply in the discussion

74 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Serge S.:
    Another quick tip on showings ... make your prospects call or text 30 minutes to an hour before the showing. When you schedule a day in advance or more its virtually guaranteed that they flake.

    This is a big one for me. I always schedule all appointments at the same time like an open house. I also have applicants call me 1 hour ahead of time, and nicely explain that I don't live near the building, and that it is common for appointments to not show. So I need to know that they are coming before I make the drive. Not only does it save me fruitless trips, it helps to self screen the tenants to eliminate the irresponsible ones.

    It's amazing how many times I will have a showing set up with 3 possible applicants at the same time, and none of them call or show. So I don't either.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    As Serge S. and Ann Bellamy say, make your prospects call or text 30 minutes to an hour before the showing.

    I learned that the hard way with my first rental. It's standard now, and I tell the tenants that if they don't confirm, my contractor will not be there to show it. And I don't give the exact street address until they confirm.

    I also schedule as many people as possible for the same day/time. As others have said, a tenant's memory is short, and if you schedule them more than a day in advance, they'll likely forget or find something else to see sooner.

    As for the application fee, I don't charge one. My husband and I have rentals in 2 states, and it's not a common practice. I actually put in my craigslist ad "No application fee!".

    As for the photos, I believe that great photos, which accurately reflect the property, are the way to go. I'm a professional photographer and take my own photos of our properties, but if I can't, I pay one to do it. I've heard from almost every tenant, "this place looks great, as good as the pictures!". Don't go crazy with a wide angle lens though, the rooms should look spacious but not twice their actual size.

    And as far as other landlords pretending to be tenants...that's no problem. We had a vacant house robbed of it's copper pipes by what I'm certain was a "tenant" just casing the place. We put in an alarm after that and it's rented now, but if it becomes vacant again, I'll make sure all visitors see/know there's an alarm system.

    Good luck! Sometimes it's just patience.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    compare your rental to others in the area, look at Craigslist ads for other properties nearby, call ads, call phone numbers on signs, see what amenities others are offering that you don't.

    If the market is tight, complexes offer all kinds of deals, $100 security deposit, free flat screen tv, free first month's rent. If you see that sort of advertising that tells you something about the market.

    And if you want to see what the average rent is for the area, look at www.huduser.org you paid for that info, you should use it. All the rents for the entire country are collected by HUD for your benefit.

  • Financial Advisor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2012 · 150 posts · 66 votes
    13y

    @Gary Clark If I remember correctly, you're on the Northwest Side too. I experienced a similar situation with my building. I was getting people touring simply for the sake of touring. I would have people show up, tell me they love the place and then mention that they were simply looking for their friend who is moving to the city three months later and just want to get an idea of what's available for them. I've learned to pre-screen tenants as to simply not waste my time. By simply reiterating "I'm looking for a tenant to begin a lease on September 1st" you can alleviate yourself from a lot of people who would simply waste your time otherwise.

    Also, I know people have mixed reviews on it, but I always try to stagger my viewings. I'll schedule appointments to show in 15 minute intervals. People will almost always see that I have additional showings and become competitive about it.

    Finally, your rent isn't TOO far fetched, but may be a tad high. Just a quick scan on the MLS and I'm seeing some pretty decent looking 3 bedrooms on the Northwest Side for $1350.

    Good luck!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    Another showing this morning and its like they are mesmerized as they walk through with ohhhhs and ahhhhs. I waived the application fee and he said he needs his roommate to fill out the app

  • Real Estate Broker · Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 822 posts · 468 votes
    13y

    Thanks Jon Holdman, let me know what you find.

    And when I suggested visiting the competition, I would never suggest making an appointment with a landlord and wasting their time when you know darn well you aren't gonna lease it. Rather, I was suggesting attending any rental open houses, which are quite common these days. I should have been more specific.

  • Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 44 votes
    13y

    I'm relatively new to this, but I found that the application fee can be off-putting to some people. They don't want to put it in until they're sure they want it. Considering that the rent is $1750 / month, I was shocked by how tightly some held onto that $30 PP fee.

    I had a better response when I let people kow it was refundable. Basically, I told them that if I had chosen another applicant first, I would refund their fee. I would keep the money if I chose them and they changed their minds or if I ran the credit and found something bad that wasn't disclosed. (That money is spent then). I also added that I'd credit the fee to the 2nd month's rent for whomever got the place.

    Also, I never got a single application sent back to me via e-mail or regular mail. If more people are coming to see it, people are more likely to sit down and fill one out right there. Make sure that you have a table and chairs for them to comfortably do so. Your place looks nice, but I don't see anywhere for someone to sit down and fill out an application. Throw a few drinks in the fridge and encourage applicants to have a drink, sit down and fill out the papers.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Originally posted by Gary Clark:
    @Mehran Kamari there is a small legal apartment on the ground floor and the top 2 floors are for rent.

    I'm confused. Is the apartment the only apartment in a private home, or is it one unit in a multi unit residential property? As for the pool, how close is it to the apartment you are trying to rent? Is it possible the potential noise from the pool activities is a turn off to people? Is the pool for use to the tenants too?

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    I lowered the add to 1350.
    @ Karen Margrave its a duplex. 1st floor has a small apartment and the top 2 floors is what's for rent. I'm sure the pool can be a turn off for some people. It was there when I got the house and its shared with the neighbors. They take care of it and pay for it so they can keep it there.
    There is a spiral staircase that leads to the laundry that some people may not like.

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    I have rented out several homes over the past 4 years in the suburbs.

    I've had one place I've shown 40-50 times. I still get my rent & have had great renters there. If you're getting responses & showings, you're creating demand.

    Have you considered taking in pets? If so, put in an extra deposit and charge $25-$40/month rent. Just meet the pets before renting to them (you will also see how the renters take care of the place).

    As for the app fee, I charge $30/person over 18 & I list the website (so they see I'm not making $ off of them) & I explain that I only run the credit/background check after doing the rental app/checking employment, etc.

    If you had a prospect of a 550 credit score, you should have checked them out further. Most of the renters credit sucks or they'd be owning. More important to me is 1. do they pay their rent and 2. do they take reasonable care of the place?

  • Broker, Investor, Property Restorer · Fox Point, WI · Member since 2012 · 288 posts · 120 votes
    13y

    Gary, you just said its in "Chicago", Chicago's a really big city/metro area (just under 10 million people!) which part of Chicago is this in? I'm not a Chicago landlording expert, but I am just an hour or so north in Milwaukee and have a lot of friends who've lived in Chi-town since graduating college. (nearly 20 years ago now for me!) I remember going down to see some of them when they first got out of college and were working that first corporate job downtown and they'd be making good money but packed into a somewhat nicely converted basement in Lincoln Park and paying nearly what you're charging now for what sounds like a much nicer pad! Chicago isn't quite as expensive as Manhattan, but its not that far behind!

    I'd have the same advice as others, consider dropping the price a bit (which you apparently already did) and hold out for that perfect tenant. I'd also echo Scott W's advice and say don't necessarily let just a credit score sink someone 100% (although a 550 score and no job is a very bad start-haha!) I was in that situation about 10 years ago after I sold my first duplex. I had run into money problems and had to prioritize and was just paying my mortgage first and other bills later and my credit got trashed, I was actually briefly below 500 at one point-yet once I got that check at closing, I had $130k sitting in my bank accounts! I remember trying to open up an account with one of the online traders, I gave them a cashier's check for $40k and had it promptly returned to me, because of a rule they had to not open accounts for anyone under a 500 score! I didn't need to rent a place at that time, but if I had to, I could've paid a full year's rent on day one if I had to!

  • Financial Advisor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2012 · 150 posts · 66 votes
    13y

    "Have you considered taking in pets? If so, put in an extra deposit and charge $25-$40/month rent. Just meet the pets before renting to them (you will also see how the renters take care of the place)."

    I agree. In Chicago, so many of the big property management companies don't allow pets, especially dogs. You open yourself up to an entirely new pool of renters. I charge an additional $200 pet deposit and don't allow any agressive breeds.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    I do allow dogs and cats. Seems like most people that come are pet owners.
    The 4 people that called today I scheduled 3 of them for 4 pm. The other guy doesn't get out of work till 6 so I told him tomorrow at 7.
    This apartment is in Albany Park/ Old Irving near Montrose and Lawndale.

  • Dave CarpenterPro Member
    Investor · Cedarburg, WI · Member since 2013 · 439 posts · 150 votes
    13y

    I currently am working to get my duplex rented out as one of the tenants is moving out at the end of the month. One of the things I have done is allow pets (both cats and dogs) on a case by case basis. This has really opened up a whole other pool of tenants and I charge an additional $25 per animal per month, which brings in a bit more cash flow. So far that has been a really good experience, with both units having cats and no issues. We will see long term how allowing pets works, but so far I am about $1200 ahead by charging for animals. That will help if there is ever wear and tear I end up having to cover down the road.

    Good luck on getting your unit rented out!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    Ended up with 4 showings between 3:45 and 4:30. Again, everyone showed intrest. We will see if I get an aplication back.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    Why don't people absolutely love this place??? #venting

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Gary Clark:
    Why don't people absolutely love this place??? #venting

    That's what you have to find out from them! You're selling a product. Seems like your customers don't like it as much as you do. You have to set aside your love of the place and find out what the issue is from your potential customers.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 51 posts · 22 votes
    13y

    Is your property the best in the neighborhood at the best price?

    Research your competiton and list $15 to $25 lower. Thats better than eating the note for 2 more months trying to get an extra $25 . Unless your margin for cash flow is that tight them you have another set of problems.

    I post pics at my properties, on zillow, craiglsist and my website. No one sees the inside untill i recieve a basic application to verify that they have a job that pays enough, is not a criminal and tells the truth about who they are where they work etc. i get about 20 calls and emails asking to see the property and i tell them all the same thing, not until i recieve e application and there is no fee untill i run credit which is after they view and want to proceed. The only times i showed properties was to the people who returned the app and ended up renting. I place packets with apps and criteria so they know up front if they qualify. It alao states that if they falsify ANY info knowingly or unknowingly the app will be rejected.

    When we schedule the showing i tell them how much theyneed to bring for the deposit, app fee and rents. I tell them they need to decide right then their is no sleeping on it, they either want it or they dont and its as-is as stated in the lease.

    I may be a hardass but its my rules, those who follow get great place to live and greatlandlord. They just have to get through the screening process. And i actually have great tenants who pay early.

    Here is some of the info that is in the packets and on my website.

    Common Questions & Answers

    How do I find out more information about a property you have listed?

    The first step is to use the "Contact" link listed here on the website.

    Lease properties After receiving your contact information a lease application and tenant screening criteria form will be

    emailed to the email address you provide. Read through the tenant screening criteria and return the completed application.

    Sale properties Use the "Contact" link to enter your contact information and any questions you might have.

    When can I see the inside of the property you have listed?

    Lease properties After a completed application is received, applicants will be contacted to schedule a showing.

    Why do I submit an application without seeing the house first?

    The application serves as a "pre-qualification" to ensure that only qualified applicants who are serious about leasing a property are scheduled for showings. This website is updated daily with current pictures of available properties. Pictures are also posted at the property with window blinds open for viewing.

    Why do I have to submit my personal information before seeing a property?

    Information required on the application is general information regarding employers, residential history and who plans on occupying the property. Social Security numbers and credit checks are not needed until after a showing and the applicant decides they would like to continue with the application process. It is at this point that the application fee will be collected to have criminal and credit history verified. Most information required on the application can be obtained through public records and social media. We are not in the business of selling or stealing your personal information or identity.

    I have already submitted my information and been approved with a real estate agent or locating service, I also have a recent copy of my credit report.

    Any agreement or contract with other agencies is between you and that agency. Any compensation agreements between you and the agency will be your responsibility and will not be discounted or applied to our fees, deposits, or rental agreements. Not all companies operate by the same standards or guidelines so a new application will have to be submitted on our form. We verify all information to ensure that the application is accurate and the applicant meets all of our criteria. We have accounts with credit reporting companies that provide us customized reports that consumer credit reports may leave out. We must verify credit history through our company.

    What if I have had some credit issues in the past?

    Credit scores are not the only or final determining factor regarding an application being accepted. Credit items along with work history, income, and residence history are all taken into account. Certain factors can be compensated for with larger deposits or advance rent payments.

    My 18 year old son still lives with us, why does he need to fill out an application? His income is not needed for the rent.

    All persons over the age of 18 who will occupy the property must complete an application prior to leasing a property. The application is needed to verify the criminal history of all adults who will occupy the property regardless of their contribution to rent.

    Can I sign a lease for more than 1 year?

    All lease contracts are signed for 1 year terms with options to renew at expiration.

    I have a special situation or circumstance regarding my application not addressed on the "Tenant Selection Criteria" form.

    Special circumstances can only be evaluated after a completed application has been received.

    Do you accept housing vouchers, section 8, or any assistance programs?

    Properties that participate in voucher or assistance programs will be advertised as program participants for that property. Currently we do not have any properties participating in any of these programs.

    This answers most of their questions, tells me if they know how to read and comprehend directions and basically screen themselves. I have emailed and handed out close to 100 packets and only got back 3.

    Like i said the only times i have shown were to the current tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    I'd have nothing but empty properties if I did that. Maybe that works in your area, but that's highly unusual. That would certainly reduce the number of showings, though.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 51 posts · 22 votes
    13y

    I got that from an experiencd succesful investor and was unsure at first but it has worked. Otherwise i probably would have shown the houses 12 times.

    There are a lot of "Looky Lues" who call and email on 10 differnt houses a day and just want to see.

    I would be driving 45 mins both ways to meet someone who is currently unemplyed, tryimg to break a lease, sex offenders, criminals, etc if i showed the property otherwise. They always call back or email after goimg over the criteria to ask if i can make exceptions for this or that. The answer is "No, im sorry we have to apply the same rules for everyone and good luck" . That right there has saved at least 8 10 showings i can remeber.

    I may be be lucky being Houston TX with an area population over 3 mil. Make thebest product and put it on sale and everyone wants it.

    My brother in- law lives in Austin which has high demand and wasted at least 12 hours going back and forth showing properties to unqualified, 3 month out,unemployed Lookey Lues wanting to negotiate the lease. He never rented and ended up selling.

    I think the biggest component is giving them the detailed criteria and they see they don't qualify. The ones that qualify know a good deal and come out ready to Rent. I post big well lit pictures of every room and feature on the inside of the windows, lights on, blinds open. A lot of people walk the property and call from the house. THe only thing they are missing is the smell of fresh paint. I tell them take the packet fill out the app and email it. It never comes in because the screened themselves out.

    The app is very basic, takes about 5 min to fill out an FREE. I advertise that "no app fee" The fee i charge is for background checks, not applications.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    13y

    Gary Clark 12 showings is not a lot. On my last one I had to show to about 50 people and reject about 9 apps before I got someone who qualified and moved in. Granted it was during the winter and it's a small house, so those factors didn't help.

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 27 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    [quote] When can I see the inside of the property you have listed?
    Lease properties After a completed application is received, applicants will be contacted to schedule a showing. [/quote]

    I'd have nothing but empty properties if I did that. Maybe that works in your area, but that's highly unusual. That would certainly reduce the number of showings, though.

    Houston rental market is super tight right now, some of the neighborhoods I've looked at have an average from 1-5 DOM - that's an average, not a range...crazy! Landlords here are probably getting away with a lot more than usual - which will eventually catch up to them.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    @Bienes Raices Well that makes me feel better

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Gary Clark:
    @Bienes Raices Well that makes me feel better

    I live in North Center and $1500 seems a bit much for Albany Park, but $1350 seems more appropriate. However, there aren't many units with a half bath so the key is to figure out how much that's worth to tenants. Use that to your advantage, tell them how they don't have to worry about guest using their bathroom and going through their medicine cabinet.

    Schedule appointments to slightly overlap to show there's demand. I've noticed that placing a sense of urgency on prospective tenants helps seal the deal. Also, I wouldn't ask them their opinions of the place, makes you seem insecure and unsure. However, I would ask them what appealed to them in the ad and where else they're looking to get a better sense of what's in their criteria. Really listen to them and use that info to close the deal. Above all else, properly screen and pre-screen. Last thing you want is a problem tenant.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    13y

    @Gary Clark I'm glad...and I don't think it will take you 50 showings--my case was a bit extreme (at least I hope so) because it was right after Xmas so all I was attracting were recent evictees and other duds--I've been told by another LL in my area that almost no one qualified moves at that time of year, plus there was some issues with the property which I corrected.

    If the property is decent, as you state, I think the issue may be the price. Experiment by dropping it in $25 increments over the coming weeks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.