Should I replace driveway

Should I replace driveway

Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 300 votes

Here’s the driveway on my rental property. It’s functional but not pretty. Personal I think it’s ugly. There’s no defined edges, cracks where grass is growing through and gravel showing. It’s just asphalt that appears to be leftover used when they paved the road. 
Should I replace this with a concrete driveway? Asphalt over it? Or do nothing since it works. 
I’d say it’s a B class property (I think), rent is 1300 but could get 1500 after this lease. 

Looking to hold for a few years and increase value of property. 

1Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
5y

I'd leave it. Spend money on stuff that really needs replacing. 

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brad HammondBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    5y

    If you think you can get more money or it will rent faster by replacing the driveway then do it.  Otherwise, I would leave it the way it is.  I don't see anything wrong with it but I know the feeling of wanting to upgrade something that bugs you. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    I'd leave it. Spend money on stuff that really needs replacing. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    I'd leave it. Spend money on stuff that really needs replacing. 

    Yes, It's functional, and looks reasonably respectable....

  • Member since 2021 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    Location dependent in my opinion.  If this is on the east coast -- its fine. If this is west coast and in california, you may get more for the "curb appeal". This looks to be like every other driveway in B-C neighborhoods on the east coast. 

    Until its going to cost you money (via opportunity or damage) don't replace.

  • Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 300 votes
    5y

    Thanks everybody!

  • Banker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    If it bothers you I would replace it - gives you some peace of mind knowing your taking care of your property. This isn't like stainless steel appliances and other high end finishing items that are high usage items that can be broken and fairly expensive to replace. If you do it right it a concrete driveway should last 30 years.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed

    With most of the comments here as depends on location. But also what does the market demand. Lastly you don't have to do a full replacement what if you made a hard edge out of pavers and spent a couple hundred bucks and eased your need to make it look better and also saved the big cost of total replacement.

    Best of luck mate!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Hi Bill,

    It looks like it's alligatoring. They say slurry wont fix that, and sometimes recommend full redo.

    It's always a hard call with asphalt. This is a small patch, alligatoring comes from a poor subsurface and gets worse over time.

    From the pic, it looks "serviceable", it also looks like the renters drive over it and park behind the fence.

    Also it might be a lender issue on a refi, or loan, or maybe not. Asphalt is always a hard call. 

    Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Very few people buy or rent a home because of the driveway.  Kitchens and baths are the money makers. Ugly, sure, but very few driveways are beautiful.  You can edge it if the edging is an issue.  A new drive will have that "not so edged" looked after a bit too, just how things are.  

    For the money a drive would cost I would put it in kitchen or bath or landscaping, the things that will bring in buyers and renters.  

  • Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 300 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Scott Mac, that's actually an old picture and yes I used to have an extra vehicle parked behind the fence. The tenants do not park there and the grass has grown back. And I actually had an estimate done years ago to run concrete all the way back like your picture, I was going to use it for my boat and motorcycle. But ended up selling the boat and moving. Funny how life changes so much from what you expect.

    There's no edging around the asphalt as it looks like they just poured in the middle and let it seep out to the sides, instead of making hard defined edges. Sometimes I get stuck between what 'I would do' and what 'I should do for a rental'.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    I'm not sure where it is, but if you are in an area that doesn't get snow, you could widen the driveway with crushed gravel.

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    i think the grass looks worse than the driveway. get some gravel over it, if anything and seed over the bald spots. 

  • Contractor · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Bill Ward my gut instinct says if you are worried about it then get a few quotes on replacement /repair and then ask yourself the question again. If the number makes the driveway look “better” because the repair quote is too expensive or “worse” if the repair is reasonable in your eyes then you have a better answer than you will have without knowing cost of repair. I would think to look around the street and if other driveways looks similar then it is probably not necessary to replace if it’s the worst looking driveway around then it may be time to replace.

  • Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes
    5y

    I wouldn't replace it. A new driveway will not make you more money. It does look like the lawn could use some attention. You could work on that to give the home some better curb appeal. 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Keep in mind the location you are in. If it adds value to the property, replace it! 

  • Real Estate Agent · St George, UT · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Bill Ward leave it as-is but fix any tripping hazards. When you're actually thinking about selling the place then you can reconsider replacing if it will help your sales price

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I would not fix it so long as there are no tripping hazards, but that's key. It has to be safe. We always replace or repair driveways, sidewalks and patios when they're damaged because the liability is just too great. While it may not be attractive, most tenants will be very happy to have a paved parking pad. It sounds like you're saying you could get an extra $200/month with this fix? That doesn't seem accurate at all so I'd double check that with a local property management company. Typically for a rent increase that substantial you either have to already be well below market rents or add a bedroom or do a significant remodel - like updating an ugly kitchen. 

  • Peter LoudisPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Bill Ward

    What’s typical for your competition/market? If you haven’t received any complaints about it or have safety issues, I’d leave it. I’d rather put that money into interior updates like the kitchen, bath or flooring. If it’s ugly, maybe you spend some of the money on landscaping and seasonal color- that would go further in my opinion.

  • Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 300 votes
    5y

    @Bonnie Low  no the driveway wouldn't increase rent $200, but rent in this area has increased that much since they signed the lease last November. If the current tenants move out I could raise it $200 and I'm pretty sure still rent it out. If they want to stay I'll raise less to keep them. They have been good tenants.

    There is no trip hazard, and that is an older picture. The grass is much better now. I will hold off on the driveway and focus on the carpet and master bath next. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.