• West Des Moines, IA
Votes |
Tenant sealed vent registers in winter to use his own heater

Peter Morgan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • West Des Moines, IA
Posted Sep 23 2021, 07:35

Hello,

I had a tenant last winter and the heat in his unit was supplemented by the unit above him.It gets really cold down there in winter but he chose not to have free heat and sealed the vents tightly with an aluminum foil without  letting me know , I could have easily adjusted the thermostat to lower  per his needs if he had told me and supplemented my apartment above with any additional heat but he chose to seal without letting me know inspite of my warning later on and obviously it can have detrimental effect on the tubing inside the walls due to excess pressure build up.

He also complained about high electricity Bill's (obviously he would incur high utility bills when he turns on his electric radiator without using the free heat he was getting)

I ended up having an oversight from my end as I did not verify if sealing vent caused any damage .  The subsequent short term tenant did not report issue about air not blowing from the registers as he was "cool" with the hot summer. I ended up identifying the issue really late. Do I have to rip off the sealing now to identify any punctured tubing issue?Appreciate your inputs

Thanks

Loading replies...