Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 15 votes
Wondering how people deal with tenants in small units (tripex) that complain about noisy footsteps. Just had a new tenant that moved in a week ago, sent me a text at 10pm that it was loud and could I talk to the upstairs tenant. What advice do you guys have? What have you done in these situations that worked?
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
First, I warn them during the showing and again during the lease signing. Apartment noise travels, particularly if you are in a downstairs unit. Tenants need to expect that.
Second, I warn anyone going into an upstairs unit that their ordinary noise may seem excessive to the tenants downstairs. I ask them to be particularly careful about closing cabinets and doors, knocking out burpees, or practicing ju-jitsu.
Third, I post quiet hours in the building. Between 7am - 10pm they may experience louder-than-usual noises. 10pm - 7am they should be as quiet as possible to respect their neighbors.
If a tenant complains, I remind them of how noise travels and try to determine if it was during quiet hours. Then I'll call the offending neighbor just to remind them of how easily noise travels. I may be a little more strict if it's during quiet hours. Communication is key.
Thank you for the opportunity to share one of my favorite videos!
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
First, I warn them during the showing and again during the lease signing. Apartment noise travels, particularly if you are in a downstairs unit. Tenants need to expect that.
Second, I warn anyone going into an upstairs unit that their ordinary noise may seem excessive to the tenants downstairs. I ask them to be particularly careful about closing cabinets and doors, knocking out burpees, or practicing ju-jitsu.
Third, I post quiet hours in the building. Between 7am - 10pm they may experience louder-than-usual noises. 10pm - 7am they should be as quiet as possible to respect their neighbors.
If a tenant complains, I remind them of how noise travels and try to determine if it was during quiet hours. Then I'll call the offending neighbor just to remind them of how easily noise travels. I may be a little more strict if it's during quiet hours. Communication is key.
Thank you for the opportunity to share one of my favorite videos!
Nathan has good suggestions. If the previous tenant didn't complain about the noise, the new tenant may be more sensitive to noise. Things tenants could do (but may not do)-add an area rug to dampen the sound and not wear shoes indoors.
Property Manager · North Carolina & South Carolina · Member since 2021 · 44 posts · 18 votes
4y
Hi Heather,
It is a tough call to make but since I have dealt with the same situation myself as a tenant and as a property manager I can make a couple of suggestions. Personally, I decided to introduce myself to my noisy upstairs neighbors and befriend them. It helped some once they got to know me and we understood each others schedules. Professionally, I have spoken to both the noise maker and the complainant to make sure both were aware that apartment living is never noise free but the upstairs tenant should try to be considerate of how their actions affects the other occupants of the building. Sometimes it has worked out but a couple of times I just decided not to renew the lease of the noisy ones. Also, to help to reduce the noise from above make sure you have carpet and thick padding. Good luck!
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
4y
This is all about expectations:
Landlord expectation - you need to expect these type of complaints as common in multifamily. Have a response ready. Take any steps possible to reduce noise. Having carpeted floors with high quality padding will greatly help reduce noise. You should not play mediator in tenant disputes, unless the situation is extreme. If you do it once, they will call you every time. Be prepared for tenants to move out due to noise problems. There is very little control you have over this. I rented a house to a single man who lived in a townhouse for ten years. A new family moved in next door and the kids liked loudly playing in the stairwell next to his unit. He gave notice the month after.
Upstairs tenant - they need to understand that people below them can hear when they walk, when kids jump, etc. They need to be cautioned upfront that upper level units have an expectation of them being respectful of those below them. That means keeping noise levels down, especially at night. If they have a problem with that, they should not be renting upstairs units. They should also be aware that you will direct the downstairs tenant to approach them about noise complaints and you expect their cooperation.
Downstairs tenant - they are below someone else which means they will hear foot steps and thumps as things are moved around. If they work nights and sleep during the day, this could be a major problem. If they are sensitive to noise, this could be a major problem. They also need to understand that the landlord is not the noise police. Explain to them that you expect tenants to work out these type of issues. Being a good neighbor means KINDLY asking your neighbor to be respectful, but also making reasonable requests.
Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 15 votes
4y
I appreciate to feedback. I do have quiet hours, I did mention to the new ones it was pretty quiet, when I've been there it has been the case. I also told the new tenants I'd talk to the upstairs tenant and remind them of how loud it is. I just got another text and its 915pm. I am new so am figuring this out. Agreed I dont want to play mediator but since I engaged once, I dont want to ignore texts. I did just leave a message for the upstairs tenant letting her know the mention it and asked if she had rugs/rug pads. She's really nice but I inherited her when I bought in aug and don't remember if she has rugs. Any other great ideas to de-escalate? Should I offer to buy rug pads?