Meetup GTA (Toronto, Ontario)

Meetup GTA (Toronto, Ontario)

Where:Unknown

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Homeowner · Brampton, On · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 8 votes

Hi Canadians,
@Simon Lloyd has suggested a GTA meetup a couple of weeks ago.
Interested?
At this point I would just like to poll people on preference of:
1. Month (do you prefer December or after Christmas?)
2. Day of week (weekend, weekday)
3. Time of day
4. Proposed location (you can give your preferred area of town or particular location - like a coffee shop or office)

*Everyone is welcome*. A lot of us are newbies, don't be shy. The point is to meet other investors, make connection, exchange stories. No pitch.

To get started:
Any month, weekday evenings, I prefer north west edges of Toronto or Mississauga.

Dominika

0
Topic locked
80 views

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Oakville, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 48 votes
    12y
    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · King Township, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 62 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    @Dominika M after Christmas would work best for me too.

    @Belinda D. Skype would definitely be more convenient but also much less personal imo, but I'll leave it up to others to decide. My suggestion would be somewhere in Vaughan, it's pretty much the midpoint of the GTA---so equally INconvenient for everyone! ;) There are lots of great coffee shops there as well, or I know of some meeting rooms we could book if we want to go that direction.

    @Brandon Turner might have some suggestions of what style / format of BP meetups best work!?

    On another note, I just purchased my first flip property! It's located in the town of New Lowell, ON which is just NW of Barrie. It closes on Dec 16. Needs a lot of work but I got a great deal I believe so I'll keep you all posted on my progress!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    All:

    Given the almost 1000 mile commute, I shall have to decline :-)

    0
    Topic locked
  • Oakville, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 48 votes
    12y

    @Simon Lloyd congrats!

    When you have time or after the deal closes, can you give us a break down of the deal?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · King Township, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 62 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    @Roy N. we know you will be there in spirit! Certainly if we do a Skype meeting you would attend? Do you Newfies have Skype yet? ;) lol--I do it just to bug you Roy!

    @Belinda D. a quick overview: Property is a power of sale (to non-Ontario folks that's what we call foreclosures or REOs). Purchase price was $142,500 and ARV will be about $220,000, hopefully even $225 or $229k. It's a detached split-level single family 3bd / 1.5 (will be 2)bath on a large lot in a nice subdivision-type street of a small town. It needs some pretty major work--namely there's mold in the basement that needs remediation and it requires a gas furnace be installed. I hope there's sufficient spread in there to eek out a small profit, it won't be a blockbuster deal by any means but I just want to get my feet wet and finally do some flipping!! Even if I end up breakeven at the end I hope to learn enough doing it that it will make it all worthwhile--I'll consider my time invested to be the cost of tuition to the REI game, as many BPers have coined.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · Brampton, On · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Simon Lloyd, congrats! I was also entertaining the idea of doing a flip and my rationale was the same as yours - doing it for experience, if you get any profit, that's bonus. All the best with it, I really hope you can keep updating us.

    @Roy N. are you sure you don't have some business to do here in January-ish? We're flexible, we go as far as Oshawa for you;)

    0
    Topic locked
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · Brampton, On · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner, thanks for the tips.

    Ontarians, everyone seems to prefer January, so we'll do a poll then to narrow down the date.
    Happy Holidays everyone!
    Dominika

    0
    Topic locked
  • Unemployed · Dumfries and Galloway · Member since 2013 · 51 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Count me in! I'm looking forward to meeting you.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Contractor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 65 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Hi All,

    Super newbie here, I am willing to attend a GTA meet up. I'll be back from vacation on Jan 14th, anytime after that can work for me....hopefully a weekend as I have a lovely 9-5 that I'm trying to quit lol.

    Thanks :)

    0
    Topic locked
  • Contractor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 65 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Also congrats to @Simon Lloyd !

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · OR · Member since 2012 · 390 posts · 133 votes
    12y

    WOW what a bunch of go getter crei newbies!! There is nothing like just JUMPING in!! Learning In Action is the very best way to get to your goals and dreams >>> and the FUN of investing.

    My real success began when I got out there and started "networking" which is a word I hate. (It seems mechanical and impersonal to me.)

    I just started reaching out (virtually) to people who were busy in the industry to see what they were doing and asking them if I could contribute to their success in some way.

    I wish you all fantastic success!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Gary McGowan thanks for tagging me in!

    I'm down for a meet up. January works for me as well. Let me know when you guys decide to get together.

    Congrats @Simon Lloyd ! I'm super excited to hear details. Looking forward to meeting you all! :)

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Happy new year everyone! Any updates on when/where we'd like to meet up?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · King Township, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 62 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    @Gary McGowan I'll be there on Jan 16th too.

    @Account Closed suggests let's do it later this month?

    If you listened to this week's BP podcast, @Michael Sherwood holds his Buffalo meetups at restaurants with large meeting rooms so that's a great suggestion. He also mentioned he's going to be in Toronto so hopefully he sees this thread and we can time our meetup to correspond with his visit! What date is that Mike?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · buffalo, NY · Member since 2008 · 354 posts · 23 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Simon Lloyd:
    @Gary McGowan I'll be there on Jan 16th too.
    @Account Closed suggests let's do it later this month?

    If you listened to this week's BP podcast, @Michael Sherwood holds his Buffalo meetups at restaurants with large meeting rooms so that's a great suggestion. He also mentioned he's going to be in Toronto so hopefully he sees this thread and we can time our meetup to correspond with his visit! What date is that Mike?

    @Simon Lloyd We have not technically confirmed a date as of yet we had four dates. If you want to see the post here is the information I put out there no date settiled yet!

    We are targeting a meet up during the week on the 3rd or 4th week of January during the evening :January 22nd January 24 January 29 and January 31 would be ideal dates.

    I also keep an email list so most people email back directly rather than post. I post to keep it open to new members like you guys! I wanted to let you guys know that the weekend of February 2nd I will be in Toronto with my wife for her birthday. If any of you would like to meet up that would be great!!

    Thanks guys,

    Mike

    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · Brampton, On · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Michael Sherwood,
    it would be great if you could meetup with us. Since you're having family time here, what day and time and location would be best for you that weekend for a BP meetup?
    Dominika

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · buffalo, NY · Member since 2008 · 354 posts · 23 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Dominika M:
    @Michael Sherwood, it would be great if you could meetup with us. Since you're having family time here, what day and time and location would be best for you that weekend for a BP meetup? Dominika

    @Dominika M

    It would probably be Sunday earlier in the day or Saturday afternoon evening before dinner. ( we want to try the great food you guys have here) Plus seem some of the sites!

    Mike

    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · Brampton, On · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Michael Sherwood,
    we are getting closer to the date, so let's work on finalizing details. Is Sunday earlier in the day or Saturday afternoon around 4 pm (Weekend of Feb 2) still good for you? Do you have a preference? During previous discussion Vaughan was suggested as a meeting place (e.g.Panera at 16 Famous Avenue, Vaughan, ON L4L 9M3 or other place in this area). Would this work for you?

    Everyone,
    If you have preferences for Saturday or Sunday, let us know. Please feel free to suggest alternate locations for meetup - office or coffee shop. Everyone's ideas and suggestions are welcome.
    Also comment on what you'd like to get out of this meetup. Since this is our first meetup, I imagine that we won't really have time for some kind of seminar, we would just like to meet each other in person, find out what everyone is doing, their business ideas, etc. What do you think?
    Dominika

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · buffalo, NY · Member since 2008 · 354 posts · 23 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Dominika M:
    @Michael Sherwood, we are getting closer to the date, so let's work on finalizing details. Is Sunday earlier in the day or Saturday afternoon around 4 pm (Weekend of Feb 2) still good for you? Do you have a preference? During previous discussion Vaughan was suggested as a meeting place (e.g.Panera at 16 Famous Avenue, Vaughan, ON L4L 9M3 or other place in this area). Would this work for you?
    Everyone, If you have preferences for Saturday or Sunday, let us know. Please feel free to suggest alternate locations for meetup - office or coffee shop. Everyone's ideas and suggestions are welcome. Also comment on what you'd like to get out of this meetup. Since this is our first meetup, I imagine that we won't really have time for some kind of seminar, we would just like to meet each other in person, find out what everyone is doing, their business ideas, etc. What do you think? Dominika

    Dominika, I was watching the forum so yes I was on this :) I need to check with my 'boss' and see where we are going in Canada, I do believe we will be in Toronto on Sunday as of right now. I will check with her tonight and let you know.

    thanks for reaching out!

    Mike

    0
    Topic locked
  • Contractor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 65 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Hi All,

    Anytime Saturday or early Sunday works for me.

    Being brand spanking new to the REI biz, I would like to know more about wholesaling and hear about everyone's wholesaling experience in GTA/Canada.

    @Account Closed tagging you ladies for an FYI :)

    Thanks.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Oakville, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 48 votes
    12y

    Hi All,

    I'll have to pass on this meetup. Temp situation i'm trying to work out.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Contractor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 65 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Dominika M ,

    Is this meet up still happening or will it be rescheduled?

    Thanks.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · Brampton, On · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Victor Parag and all,
    I've reached out to Mike Sherwood this morning to check on his situation (we tentatively scheduled this to coincide with his trip to T.O.). I will update by end of day.
    Dominika

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Hello everyone! And thanks @Victor Parag for tagging me in here. I'm in California visiting family. I won't be back until the 6th. I will meet everyone on the next get together :)

    0
    Topic locked