San Francisco Meetup - Thursday 4/10/14

San Francisco Meetup - Thursday 4/10/14

When:

Where:S & R Lounge Inside Hotel Zetta 55 5th St San Francisco, CA 94103

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. There may be pitching of products, services or properties at this event!

Johnson H.Pro Member
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes

It's been awhile since we had a San Francisco meetup and I had a great time at the East Bay meetup that it would be worth while to start it up again. I am going to take a page (ie copy) out of my buddy's @J. Martin meetups and have the same layout.

Come one, come all! Join us to meet with some great people, talk about all aspects of real estate investing, and make some local connections in the Bay. For those who are coming, please introduce yourself on the forum by copy and pasting the questions I filled out in the post below, then replace my answers with yours. This way, everyone has an idea of who we are and who they'd like to target when we meet up. Everyone will have a chance to introduce themselves in a circle there. I look forward to seeing you all.

What: San Francisco Meetup - April Edition

When: Thursday, April 10, 2014

Where: S & R Lounge

Inside Hotel Zetta 55 5th St San Francisco, CA 94103

(between Mission and Powell)

This is a beautiful location as Hotel Zetta is newly renovated. Tasty drinks/beers, and food available. We have a reservation for a large table in the corner of this lounge good for 10-15 people and the space can easily accommodate many more. I picked this place as it is bright and quiet, not crowded with plenty of space to accommodate everyone, and close to BART/MUNI.

Get There: Take BART/MUNI to Powell station. It is less than a 3 minute walk from the station. The hotel is right next to the Westfield Shopping Center.

Parking: The closest parking lot is at Fifth & Mission which is just a few minutes away. From 6pm-midnight, rate is $1.50 an hour.

Food and drink:
There are drinks available, appetizers, and a menu. You are responsible for the cost of your own food and drink, if you choose to have any. There is no “minimum” or cost for the meetup beyond what you choose to spend.

Looking forward to meeting new investors and seeing familar faces.

Regards,

Johnson

Keywords:

East Bay , East Bay Meetup , Bay Area , Meetup , Meet up , Meet-up , San Francisco , Oakland , Berkeley , Alameda County , Contra Costa County , Solano County , Richmond , Hercules , Concord , Albany , Pittsburgh , Marin San Rafael , South Bay , Peninsula , Walnut Creek , Pittsburgh , Antioch , Pleasanton , Fremont , Castro Valley

2Reply
214 views

Most Popular Reply

Belmont, CA · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 14 votes
12y

Horray, my first meet up where I don't have to drive or pay bridge toll.

Close to work, so I'll be there!

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 77 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Johnson H for organizing. I am new to BP and am looking forward to the opportunity to meetup with @Amit M. and others.

    In State / Out of State?

    Investing in-state now - 3 single family homes (just adding 4th). Interested in learning about other strategies.

    Strategy?
    'Fix' and hold. Buy them in a state that the agent doesn't want to walk into them. Then fix them up for the long term (better than own home), and rent near top of market. Strong rental demand but rent will be < 4% cap rate (when there is no leverage). Expect appreciation (but less than the 40% since 2009). Aim for them to pay 100% of 30 year mortgage.

    Type of properties?
    SFH only so far.

    Looking for?
    A check whether my strong tilt towards appreciation should be mixed with another strategy. Education about other strategies such as multi-family and commercial. Also interested in startup businesses.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    Limited experience since 2009, but happy to share.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Andrew Strauss , glad we'll be able to chat more at the meetup, and I'll get ahold of you and @Sam McClellan about doing lunch down there on the same day, or another.. This week is a little slammed, but should have some more free time next week, depending on how a couple offers go..

    @Kathryn M. . . , I think you and @Minh L. . are on the same track down there, to some extent. But he's doing MF deals now.. It's hard to get the cap rate up on deals in the peninsula. Unless you buy at lower cap, and turn it around, as Minh plans. It's appreciation-oriented from an income perspective.. But these aren't "turnkey" deals.. Talk to him at the meetup..

    I buy in the lower-income areas of the East Bay where cap rates are higher (~5-9%) and GRM's lower (around 8 or so), with additional upside to go in rents, to drive the cash flow and value higher. Then I fix them up, actively manage at near zero vacancy (1 day turnovers), and hold for longer-term w/ 30yr fixed rate financing.

    Rents & prices are skyrocketing everywhere, and these areas get the overflow of people priced out of the prime markets (mostly from the SF/Oakland & surrounding markets). Appreciation is also very strong, but I think will be less reliable/consistent than prime "A" areas. Still 1/2 of peak prices though.. And below replacement cost, at $110-$150/ft. With rents near $1.50/ft/mo or more in some of these places. I like picking up the cash flow, and the equity is building quickly.. so I feel like it's the best of both.. But if the market crashes again, these B/C area prices will drop much more quickly, and further, than A areas.. - again.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Please include me for the meet up! Looking forward to learning all I can and meeting some great people.

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y
    We are one week away from the meetup! Looking forward to meeting everyone. Please let me know if you have any questions.
  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2011 · 92 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    @Jay Y. Here's the info for the meet up that I was telling you about. Hope you can join us!

  • Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thanks for organizing @Johnson H. I'm trying to see if I could get off early to make it to this meetup. I really want to meet everyone and exchange ideas. Is this event open only to members? A friend wants to tag along. Would that be a problem? Thanks again!

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    @Eleanor V. - Everyone is welcome! I initially said 10-15 people for the reservation but when I checked out the lounge, it has plenty of space and wasn't crowded at all.

  • Investor · Santa Clara , CA · Member since 2013 · 155 posts · 144 votes
    12y

    @Yuliany W. Thanks for the invite! I'll try and make it out one of these days...

  • Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thats great! Thanks @Johnson H. See you Thursday!

  • Real Estate Broker · Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    Hey Guys. New to the forum but I'll be there.

    In State / Out of State?

    In state but open to learning about out of state

    Strategy?
    SFR buy and hold primarily but interested in exploring fix and hold or fix and flip

    Type of properties?

    SFR

    Looking for?

    Investors with experience in syndicating deals and those that have deals seeking private funding

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    Solano County real estate expert with knowledge on Contra Costa county as well. Knowledgeable about buy/hold strategies in these areas.

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    Thanks for all the interest everybody. I was able to revise the reservation to have 15-20 people. Looking forward to speaking with everyone tomorrow!

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    I'm new here. Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!

    In State / Out of State?

    Open to both.

    Strategy?
    Buy & hold

    Type of properties?

    SFH, small apartments

    Looking for?

    Meeting others, learning, learning, learning!

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    I can't offer much in the way of real estate, but I do have a professional background in digital marketing. I'm more than happy to chat about that :)

  • Accountant · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    Looking forward to meeting you all. Again thanks @Johnson H. for getting this setup.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Andrew S and @Sam McClellan, unfortunately, I can't do lunch today because Ill be super busy wrapping up an assignment. But I'll be at the meetup, and working in SF FiDi for the coming 2 weeks if you guys want to do a follow up later..

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2011 · 92 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    Unfortunately, I have to skip this one. Baby sitter just cancelled on me :( Maybe I can join the next meeting. Have fun!

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    @Yuliany W., thats too bad to hear. Please keep me updated on your next investments!

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 75 votes
    12y

    Hello everyone. I'm a newbie and would love to join the next one. But how do I get included in this group so I know when the next meetup is?

    Thanks a bunch!

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed - Normally you would have to look out on the forums or have someone tag you to notice the new post. Setting keywords would also help. I am trying to keep this a regular thing so if you like to leave your email with me, I can email you when the next meetup will be.

    For everyone else, I am on my way! Definately be there before 6:30pm.

  • CA · Member since 2013 · 221 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    I am going to miss out this time @Johnson H.

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2011 · 92 posts · 69 votes
    12y
    Made last minute arrangement, I'll be there.
  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    Last night was a great success! I believe we had over 20+ BP members attend. Thank you everyone for coming together to talk about real estate!

    I had a great time with chatting with many of you. Unfortunately I was not able to make it around to talk to everyone but I am looking forward to the next meetup so we can chat. If you like, msg me your email and I can notify you for the next meetup if you like. I'll keep everyone in the loop for the next meetup, thanks for coming out everyone!

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Johnson,

    I agree that was a great success for your first meet-up. I have a suggestion. I think you should hold your meetup in San Francisco on even months while @J. Martin does his in Oakland on odd months.

    @Andrew Strauss , I hope you're the one that I talked to that night. You look much younger in person so that threw me off.

    @Kathryn M. , you should consider uploading a picture of yourself and hope you had fun at the meetup and found it to be informative.

    @Amit M. , congrats for going from zero to hero.

    @Eric Nelson and Keelin, I hope you guys found the meetup to be informative.

    J, I hate you for sending everyone over to talk to me. JK. It was great meeting all of you though. If we have a meetup on a weekend, I'd love to bring my wife and daughter.

    Cheers.

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 77 votes
    12y

    @Minh L. and @Johnson H. for organizing,

    Definitely enjoyed meeting you both, @Sam McClellan, @J Martin, @Andrew S., @Amit M. and others who I did not catch their BP names like Clair?, Keelin and Oliver - Thanks to all for sharing your investing strategies. I don't think any two strategies I heard were the same... Gave me a lot of to think about, as Andrew S said, "Strategies fit personal priorities and circumstances and they change over time."

    It was very nice to hear that I am not alone in figuring some appreciation into total expected return. (but investment must comfortably support its borrowing). I know I will need to time to digest what I learned and mebe a few more infusions of wisdom :-)

    Special thanks to @Minh L. for taking the time to generously explain some of the maths underlying your business model... apologies, but I am definitely not sorry that J pointed me in your direction!!!

  • Accountant · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2014 · 102 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    I second @Kathryn M., thanks to @Minh L. and @Johnson H for putting this together, so much to learn.

    @Kathryn M, great meeting you.. please connect on linkedin

    @Amit M we'll have meet up and share our bayview ideas

    @Minh L Thanks, for taking the time to explain your math like @Kathryn M said. The only issue it was a little loud so missed some of it. I'll have to meet up with you again in less noisy spot.

    @J Martin, wow great stuff. Great ideas and strategies. If I can remember 50% I will be a success. Do we get a discount on your rings of joy :)

    Look forward to the next one.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.