London Ontario May 17

London Ontario May 17

When:

Where:Tiger Jack's 842 Wharncliffe Rd S, London, ON

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes

Our last event was a big success with 16+ people in attendance, and it was unanimous that we need to do this regularly. It was also widely requested that we start earlier to make more room for deeper discussion.

So please join me again at Tiger Jacks on Southdale Rd. in London Ontario at 6:30pm on Tuesday May 17th, 2016.

This time around I'd like to add just a BIT of structure to our meet-up. The one thing that we all hear over and over again on the Bigger Pockets Podcasts is that the number one reason why people give up, fail or never get started in REI is a lack of taking action!

So this time around I'd like to encourage everyone to bring to the table one thing they've done in the last month to advance their real estate investments, and one thing they plan to do in the next month. No matter how big or small, any action is better than no action.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all again!

3Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 14 votes
10y

Has anyone looked up who owns a property using land registry office or any other source that gives that information? Let's say I go out driving for dollars and I see a distressed home, I write the address down and then would like to know who owns it. Would I just mail a letter to the address or try to look up who owns it incase it's a rental. I know it's possible, my tenants gave fake rent reciepts to another landlord when I was trying to get them evicted and he looked up who owned my property and my name came up. 

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    @Thomas Forsythe This property inquiry system is the closest thing that I'm aware of for the city London, but I don't believe it ever shows the actual owner's name:

    http://apps.london.ca/permitinquiry/inquiry.aspx

    Others may be able to expand on this. A method was mentioned using the property tax lookup system, you might have some luck there if you already have an account. 

    Another potential option is calling the city and asking. It will depend on who you get on the phone, but you never know, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

    There is also a land property record lookup system here, but it's not free and I'm sure the accessible information would vary property by property:

    https://www.ontario.ca/page/search-land-property-r...

    Let us know if you find anything else that's useful, I'm sure others would appreciate it as well. The more information we have at our fingertips, the better chance we all have of making informed decisions. 

  • Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes
    10y

    City of London, tax office (fourth floor, I think), 9-4 mon-fri. Use the terminal to look up the property for their assessed value and name and address of the person paying he tax bill. It is free to use.

    They will tell you everything I've the phone except the name and address.... I have tried. Multiple cities ha e told me the same thing.

  • Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes
    10y

    Once again a big thanks to everyone for coming out. Many compelling topics came up and a handful of new faces. 

    It was interesting to hear what others' "one thing" has been and will be. I think that's a great basis for conversation to help drive everyone towards their goals. I guess I need to get working on my investor info pack before the next meetup!

  • Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    @Kellan P. Thanks man! That inquiry pulled up the building permits I used for my renovations! Neat! Can possibly use it to scope out other properties to see permits have been pulled. If you find a house that has been renovated but no permits were issued might give you some leverage on negotiations?

    @Matt Geerts Thanks Matt! I'll have to use their services when I go about looking for distressed houses in the coming weeks. 

  • Rental Property Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    @Thomas Forsythe I've used the inquiry system in scenarios where the seller claims to have a rental or duplex license, but the system returns nothing. I've asked the city, and they told me that they use this same system internally when looking for permits or active licenses, and that in fact there was no active license.

    Regarding using leverage if renovations were done without a permit, maybe. It's not a great sign if the seller has a brand new deck and no permit. Title insurance may cover you in certain scenarios, but it's always preferred when the city is aware of any major renovations that have occurred.

  • Rental Property Investor · hamilton, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    hey guys I recently just bought my first property in London, I am from Hamilton and was wondering if there are any meet ups coming up 

  • Rental Property Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Hey Mike, our next meetup will be on June 14th at 06:30PM 

    Location: Tiger Jacks at Wharncliffe and Southdale, London Ontario 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/31...

    Hope you can make it, looking forward to hearing your story!

  • Investor · Markham , ON · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi

    Bought my first rental in London and wondering if there are any meet ups on weekends. I live in Markham :s

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.