San Francisco Bay Summit - Oct 7 & 8, 2017 - Join the Reunion!

San Francisco Bay Summit - Oct 7 & 8, 2017 - Join the Reunion!

This event is brought to you by:SF Bay Summit

When:

Where:1547 Lakeside Dr Oakland, CA 94612

Cost:$245.00 (Early Bird)

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. There may be pitching of products, services or properties at this event!

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

The 2017 SF Bay Real Estate Networking Summit is confirmed for Oct 7 & 8 in Oakland, CA!
www.SFBaySummit.com

For the third time, hundreds of real estate investors and experts will be gathering in the San Francisco Bay Area for a weekend of learning, networking, and joining forces to grow our real estate businesses!
This is NOT a Bigger Pockets event. But you'll recognize some familiar faces.

@Will Barnard, @Amanda Han, @J Scott, @Brie Schmidt, @Brian Burke, and many more will be out to share their experiences and answer your questions. 

Get your ticket (super early bird now!), a tax deduction, and seriously inspired!
www.SFBaySummit.com

"An exceedingly well-done conference, especially in terms of venue, speakers, vendors, info presented and opportunities for connection. What I learned and who I met will catapult me years forward in my abilities. Count me in for the next one!" - Erin A., Stockton, CA

Event: SF Bay Real Estate Networking Summit
Date: Sat & Sun, Oct 7 & 8, 2017
Location: Oakland, CA @ Oakland Scottish Rite

Get more info & Tickets here.. the earlier, the cheaper!
 www.sfbaysummit.com

10Reply
914 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

great event.. Bruce Norris was worth the cost of admission.  some take aways from his presentation.

1. No major melt down in the near future.

2. mortgage market much stronger for obvious reasons  ( no liar loans real world underwriting)

3. markets would need 40% of the inventory on MLS to be foreclsoures to cause a major correction ( this is not happening).

4. He feels cap rates and multi family is the one segment that is frothy and could correct. 

5. in a subtle way he was saying when profits avail themselves it can be good to take it off the table.

Whats he doing now... his normal short term lending and he is now building some new construction.. as that is exactly what I do.. I felt like I was personally on the right track as well.. Great presentation.

See this reply in the discussion

280 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Arlen Chou  when the first run up happened in the Bay area in earnest mid 80s there was a ton of equity share going on.. seems to me you put up down payment and share equity with your employees let them get the loans and service the debt.. split profit when they refi ,, move or resell.... that could be a great model for some of your idle cash. and help your staff stay close to work.. !!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @J. Martin thank you for the invite to speak at the Summit. 

    1. I got into real estate for one goal: freedom. Freedom to do what I want, where I want, and with who I want. I've had a W-2 my whole life, and my goal is to say goodbye to it next  year. Soon I'll have the freedom to travel the world with my family all year round (perhaps in shoes, not flip flops) :)

    2. I have a focused niche so my business has not changed much in the current environment. Values are high but so are rents. Deals are harder to find, and competition is up, but I've learned that when you focus on a particular area and niche, the scalability of systems makes it easier to compete. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    9y

    I got into real estate right out of college because it simply made sense to me. My reason/goal was simple, real estate excited me (and still does) and I was certain that I could set myself up for a successful future. I understood the math and could clearly see that by buying and renting out properties, I could build wealth. I started like most people do, I bought a house, fixed it up, and rented it out. Over the years while my friends were buying new cars, I would save my pennies and buy properties, eventually moving away from residential rentals and moving into commercial properties. Today my full-time gig is real estate. I do development, build spec and custom homes, and invest in commercial and multi-family projects.

    At this stage in the cycle I haven't changed geography, but I am more intentional with my specs and development projects, and I started doing more custom projects about 2 years ago in order to build that side of my business.

    I post photos of work in progress on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/lynncurriebuilds/

    Finished work goes to http://starlingdevelopment.com/our-work/

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @J. Martin well not much changes in my world... we continue to build out the lots we bought 2 and 3 years ago and by the grace of god the market has been kind to us.. I continue to sell off my rentals and take profit ( retiring from land lording ).. continue to build my note portfolio ( never get enough of that passive cash flow) PERFORMING notes only not looking for another job. .. and in my work a day world I have made some great alliances this year with some great rental rehab sellers that were looking to expand footprints and have helped them to move to other markets .. I find the demand for the 10% c on c SFR rental is as high as its ever been for the starter investor..

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs that was actually the model we did for our first pilot.  It worked out well, we got our money back with a little upside and our "partner/employee" got a great home in a nice school district within 5 minutes of our office.

    @Lynn Currie your projects look great!  So much better then the cookie cutter homes all over Texas.  Do you do any work up in the Dallas area?  I have employees up in North Dallas (Allen), and I am considering expanding my partner/employee pilot program.  I would love to do "value add" homes so we can reap some equity and put my people into a nice product.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    9y

    @Arlen Chou I'm glad you like them! We love working on them.

    I don't build in Dallas at this time. I'll be up there in December with a couple of other builders for a conference and if I meet someone that you might like, I'll put you in touch.

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @J. Martin

    Good questions!

    1.) My reason initially was to have a better job than working in construction! I went to school for business management and couldn't find a job in corporate America. Real Estate, and eventually notes, sort of became my way to circumvent the traditional corporate ladder.

    2.) It hasn't. We've been nationwide for quite a while, and plan to be nationwide for the foreseeable future. It's not news to anybody that Real Estate is geographic and note values are in direct correlation to property values. So shifting markets and buying in multiple places is nothing new for us. It's really just a matter of fine-tuning our company, building better systems and processes, etc.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Arlen Chou,
    "the summit has always been a great source of information and a better place to network." > Thanks Arlen! ;)
    Supporting yourself in retirement is perfect, and glad to see you can use real estate to help your employees in your other company, and hopefully earn a return in the process.. Like you said, different reasons for everyone. Congrats on getting good buys in Oakland. I still remember the day we first met over by my rental on International by the Lake. Time flies! Looking forward to Vietnam :)

    @Jay Hinrichs,
    You and Arlen are on the same mindset ;)  Regarding the lots you're building and selling.. Do you typically buy lots when they're cheaper in the first part of the cycle, then develop them when it's full blown, like now? Or was the timing just a coincidence? I like how you identified something you don't want to do anymore (be a landlord), and are actually adjusting your portfolio to eliminate that. Most people just complain about their investments! lol Great lesson about doing what you want/have a competitive advantage. Congrats on the new relationships also. 

    @Lynn Currie,
    I love your houses! Someday, I'll have a kitchen like that too :)  It's interesting how people go through different phases of their real estate investing in their life, then also over the economic cycle. The custom builds are a great way to take less risk and capital while still enjoying the fruits of this market. 

    @Account Closed,
    I think we need to do a "worst jobs" posting later! I've done 'em all! lol Although the last one I quit for traveling wasn't too bad. 
    You definitely beat construction. I think it's interesting that notes - especially when you're nationwide - have the ability to provide inventory throughout the economic cycle. (although I'm sure even more during a downturn). So many business change so much. Nice to have that stability. And as you say, a great time to hone in your systems, and do even better at it. 

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    #1) What is the reason/goal that got you into real estate?

    To have the freedom to enjoy life.  My father passed away the day before he was supposed to retire, so I heard him talk about all the things he was going to do, and then he never got to do them.  So I decided to figure out a way to do those things before it was too late

    #2) How has your business/geography changed as we have advanced into this later stage of the economic cycle? (or not changed?)

    Business is always changing, goals change, markets change.  You need to be in tune with what is going on and what your own goals are and then find a way to make it all work

  • David LeckoPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    #1) What is the reason/goal that got you into real estate?

    I wanted to quit my job and have more time to be creative in my craft (making software). My dad almost lost his job during corporate downsizing several times before his retirement, which stressed my parents out big time. I wanted to be able to help my family financially if they needed help, and I wanted stability before starting a family.

    #2) How has your business/geography changed as we have advanced into this later stage of the economic cycle? (or not changed?)

    I'm not totally sure yet. Some things I learn from are Ray Dalio's How the Economic Machine Works and I am excited to hear Bruce Norris talk about economic cycles next weekend.

    Here's some pictures of a vacant house I bought in February this year. It was vacant for 8 years. I had to plant grass because the yard was totally gone. It allows me to live for free while I work on my business because I rent 3 of the 5 bedrooms to friends.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @J. Martin since I now committed to being a speaker, here are my response to your questions:

    #1) What is the reason/goal that got you into real estate?

    Since my early 20's I was always aware that owning real estate was a good idea. And friends of my parents always stressed that old adage, location, location, location. So as soon as I was able, I brought my first Property in san francsico with a friend (where we did a tic to condo conversion, which was rare at the time.) I learned a lot from that venture at an early age. Later, as I was riding the ups and downs of a tech career, I realized that the equity I built in my RE was more significant than any tech "rewards" I got. 

    Once I got past owning a couple properties I knew that I could live off my asset base, which off course beats working! It takes a decade or two IMO to get things right, but then you can be pretty secure. Again I saw my elders benefiting from long term holds in Bay Area RE, and I realized that approach aligns with my sensibilities. 

    #2) How has your business/geography changed as we have advanced into this later stage of the economic cycle? (or not changed?)

    I'm strictly a San Francisco investor. Although I did invest in a new neighborhood this last market cycle for reasons too complicated and nuanced to elicidate here. But it has something to do with maximizing for appreciation via gentrification. 

    My business has changed because I reached my primary goals, and am trying to simplify my holdings, property management and life. I'm also pursuing living part time in another country (Israel), so that effects the ways I want to structure my portfolio long term. The simpler the better. Once you don't have to work you get used to it pretty quickly, and the BS detector starts to get pretty sensitive!

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    @Amit is a speaker - woohoo...! Can you get me in? :)

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    Great questions, @J. Martin  Thanks again for having me back for the third summit in a row. One of these days you'll learn that people will stop buying tickets if I keep coming back!  "Brian again?!  UGH, I'm staying home!"  LOL

    #1) What is the reason/goal that got you into real estate?

    When I was like 10 years old I would pick pomegranates from my grandmother's tree and set up a pomegranate stand on the corner. When I was around 15 I'd collect errant golf balls that accumulated in our back yard and sell them to golfers where the carts crossed our street. When I was 17 I tried selling books by direct mail that were drop-shipped--I didn't even have to buy the inventory. So I just got used to getting something for nothing (or at least at a discount) and selling it for a profit.  Houses sell for a hell of a lot more than pomegranates. And apartment buildings sell for a lot more than houses. And I'm no good working for the man, so I had one option:  start a company that buys and sells really expensive stuff.  But in all seriousness, I really enjoy delivering a great return for my investors. So many people have told me that I can't do this, or I can't do that. Producing results proves all of them wrong and really drives me. 

    #2) How has your business/geography changed as we have advanced into this later stage of the economic cycle? (or not changed?)

    During the foreclosure crisis I was heavily focused on houses--buying over 100/year here in CA. Now far more of our volume is acquiring value-add apartment complexes in carefully-targeted markets in several states from CA to FL and in between.  

    Here are some pics of two properties I've bought in the last 40 days.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Brie Schmidt,

    "My father passed away the day before he was supposed to retire, so I heard him talk about all the things he was going to do, and then he never got to do them. So I decided to figure out a way to do those things before it was too late." 

    So sorry your father couldn't enjoy that, and I'm sure he'd be so proud knowing you are.
    Like BP's motto.. "Life is too short to be lived in a cubicle." Chicago is a great place, but so much world out there :)

    @David Lecko,

    Time to pursue your passion. Love it. And thanks for the pictures also! :)

    @Amit M., 
    Welcome aboard!! And thanks for repping San Francisco :) Working smart. Not hard. I'm trying to do this more and more in my own biz. But I think like you and @Brian Burke have identified, the bigger deals/higher price points yield the biggest rewards. On top of being in the right place. Different strategies - but a similar result. Bigger dollars = bigger rewards.

    @Account Closed decided he didn't want to do construction forever either. Both have their physical long-term hazards.. Thanks for the pics Brian!

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:

     If you don't mind me asking, why is it you went into law enforcement first instead of going on as an entrepreneur (before coming back to do it later..)? Stability/pension? Family thing?   

    You can make a lot of money in real estate, but it is a get-rich-slooooooow game. You've got to pay the bills in the mean time. Law enforcement was an interesting field to me, and the schedule allowed me to work my business by day and make a living by night. Days were long but if you want to succeed you just do what it takes.

  • TX · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    Just learned about this summit and I will be there!  I'm very excited to meet you all.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    @J. Martin Yes I am! Only have one lunch, either on Saturday or Sunday (I should know soon) but otherwise I'm open. Is there a drink/dinner/cocktail that I could join? ;)

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jenelle H.,

    So glad you can make it out! Such a great group of folks :)  What are you most interested? Introduce yourself. 

    @Account Closed,

    The one day tickets are good for either day, so you can decide whenever. We're also having a cash bar happy hour at 5PM each day, and getting together on Friday evening in Oakland also, depending on how much you want to drink and network ;)

  • Notes Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 109 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    J Martin - where you get together on Friday evening in Oakland? Is this open to every attendee?  BTW, I don't drink so just networking :)

    Cheers,

  • TX · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    I want to thank my neighbor @Brian Burke for inviting me to this event. I didn't know you used to be in law enforcement. Thank you for your service... love those guys/gals. :)

    @J. Martin Thanks for the warm welcome and for asking! I am brand new to investing and still formulating my strategy and business plan before I park money somewhere. Questions I'm currently asking: Do I want to start with multi-family? Do I want to do OOS? Do I want to form partnerships? How should I go about finding a team of service providers? All cash or finance? Buy/hold or BRRR? So many questions, so I'm looking forward to networking and meeting you all.

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Are there any informal gatherings Friday night or Sunday night, for those flying in before and leaving after the official Summit.  Would love to meet up and exchange ideas with other folks.   

  • Notes Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 109 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    @ Joseph Fang - That's a good idea. I fly in early on Friday and stay at Courtyard Marriott downtown.  So, if anyone stays at the same hotel or close by and want to get together then let me know.

    PS: Still want to hear from @ J Martin to see if he has any plan?

    Cheers,

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Bac Nguyen,

    You should receive an email tomorrow with the Friday evening drinks/dinner/networking on Friday. It's open to every attendee. You don't need to drink. Just come by and grab some food and/or chat. Welcome up from San Diego!

    @Jenelle H.,

    @Brian Burke is the man!! This is his 3rd Summit coming out, and has a ton to offer - along with a lot of other great folks. We'll have lots of OOS talk (including Kathy Fettke and Brie Schmidt, multi-family (your neighbor is a great place to start! ;)  @Chris Mason will be talking about financing. Lots of folks in Bay area talking about BRRR. Bring your questions and your business cards :)

    @Joseph Fang,

    Yes, Friday night at 5:30PM (will get location in email - in downtown Oakland). Sat and Sunday 5PM at the venue also. Come out to whatever you can make!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    ****** DOWNLOAD THE  SUMMIT APP! ******   And get better connected!

    Our app will introduce you to other attendees of the event, allow you to exchange info digitally, present the agenda, logistics, announcements, and vote on our polls - before, during, and after the event!

    Once you download the app, register with the SAME EMAIL ADDRESS you used to register for the event (you should see an email from Eventzilla to the email you bought your ticket with.) Then connect your social media account to import everything, or copy and paste your bio from BiggerPockets or type it in. And you're all set!

    I've already heard great feedback about the app, and want everyone to get the most out of their networking. So be sure to download it ASAP, and we'll remind you again at the event if you're lagging! Really excited to be offering this, and let me know what you think! :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2012 · 272 posts · 399 votes
    9y

    Thanks @J. Martin for putting this event together again. Its top notch! 

    #1) What is the reason/goal that got you into real estate?

    I got into real estate about 13 years ago after being asked by my father in law to renovate and manage the two apartment buildings (10 and 7 doors) he and my mother in law owned. I played GC for a few months and filled and managed the units. After seeing what kind of money those units were throwing off I told my wife we had to be in that position some day (i.e. own free and clear real estate that made us our money while we slept).  I soon realized I'm a ****** employee and did not want to work a day job any longer, so this "some day" goal morphed into a desire to emancipate myself from the day job and achieve freedom. The freedom to do what I want, when I want, how I want, and with whom I want. After getting laid off from the day job along with most of the company I decided I'd never work for somebody else again. I made sure to burn all my bridges and went full time into real estate.   

    #2) How has your business/geography changed as we have advanced into this later stage of the economic cycle? (or not changed?) 

    I started off in real estate collecting buy and hold "cash flowing" properties (SFH, small MF) out of state in the Atlanta Metro area and Dallas-Fort Worth. The goal was to buy enough of these for the cash flow to equal my after tax take home pay from my day job, at which point I'd leave the day job and do real estate full time. But in the reality based world, out of state single family properties don't cash flow worth a damn if you have standard 30-year fixed rate loans, even at 4%. Luckily, I bought near the bottom of the market, negotiated below market purchase prices, and bought in solid areas and/or in the path of progress. I made good money on appreciation. Even after I got laid off I was still buying out of state, but only kept property if I could get it for no money out of pocket. Everything else I either sold to owner occupants or sold as TK properties to people I knew in the Bay Area. As the market changed in GA and TX it got more difficult to find decent deals. Even in the best of times the margins were too small to justify flipping from 2500 miles away, so I started focusing exclusively on flipping/wholesaling in my own back yard in the Bay Area. Whatever I don't need to live on (or have fun on) I'm plowing into more passive investments so I'm not required to constantly find deals to flip or wholesale.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.