San Francisco Bay Summit - Oct 7 & 8, 2017 - Join the Reunion!

San Francisco Bay Summit - Oct 7 & 8, 2017 - Join the Reunion!

This event is brought to you by:SF Bay Summit

When:

Where:1547 Lakeside Dr Oakland, CA 94612

Cost:$245.00 (Early Bird)

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. There may be pitching of products, services or properties at this event!

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

The 2017 SF Bay Real Estate Networking Summit is confirmed for Oct 7 & 8 in Oakland, CA!
www.SFBaySummit.com

For the third time, hundreds of real estate investors and experts will be gathering in the San Francisco Bay Area for a weekend of learning, networking, and joining forces to grow our real estate businesses!
This is NOT a Bigger Pockets event. But you'll recognize some familiar faces.

@Will Barnard, @Amanda Han, @J Scott, @Brie Schmidt, @Brian Burke, and many more will be out to share their experiences and answer your questions. 

Get your ticket (super early bird now!), a tax deduction, and seriously inspired!
www.SFBaySummit.com

"An exceedingly well-done conference, especially in terms of venue, speakers, vendors, info presented and opportunities for connection. What I learned and who I met will catapult me years forward in my abilities. Count me in for the next one!" - Erin A., Stockton, CA

Event: SF Bay Real Estate Networking Summit
Date: Sat & Sun, Oct 7 & 8, 2017
Location: Oakland, CA @ Oakland Scottish Rite

Get more info & Tickets here.. the earlier, the cheaper!
 www.sfbaysummit.com

10Reply
940 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y

great event.. Bruce Norris was worth the cost of admission.  some take aways from his presentation.

1. No major melt down in the near future.

2. mortgage market much stronger for obvious reasons  ( no liar loans real world underwriting)

3. markets would need 40% of the inventory on MLS to be foreclsoures to cause a major correction ( this is not happening).

4. He feels cap rates and multi family is the one segment that is frothy and could correct. 

5. in a subtle way he was saying when profits avail themselves it can be good to take it off the table.

Whats he doing now... his normal short term lending and he is now building some new construction.. as that is exactly what I do.. I felt like I was personally on the right track as well.. Great presentation.

See this reply in the discussion

280 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs - I feel like I have to at least shake your hand in person on Saturday-- you're a BP forum legend. haha

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @J. Martin, I want to start a petition to give 

    @Chris Clothier

    his own break out session.

    Let's have him talk to newbies about how anyone with a minimum wage job can get their first rental in three months.

    I'd like to see a detailed, step-by-step process from him. 

    Why Chris? He's easy to listen to and I know he's got a heart of a helper.

    I think that will be a great addition to the Summit.

  • Investor · NY · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    Just signed up, very excited to meet everyone!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Will Barnard, looking forward to it!! Probably only a few guys like @Jay Hinrichs on BP have made over $1MM on one deal..  We're lucky to have both of them out. I'll introduce you @Alice K. :) 

    @Metra Ulloa, welcome up from Gilroy! Yes, I recommend getting to whatever meetups you can, but especially @Shane Pearlman's in SC, Jeff Pollack's in San Jose, and @Johnson H.'s in Milpitas. 

    @Al Williamson, @Chris Clothier and I crossed our dates on our conferences, and he's going to be out in Houston leading a group there. But maybe he can still make it Sunday...? Chris, I was thinking maybe we could each set up an ipad with a Skype Video connection in each of our conferences, and investors could see what's going on and chat with each other or something. The BP community connected across the country.. Just an idea ;) We're missing you this year! Will coordinate on dates better next time :)

    @Tony Xu, 
    Welcome to the party! :)  It's a great group of folks. And we'll send out more info shortly.. 
    Reserve friday, sat, & sun night for drinking if you can handle it all! :) You won't have far to come from San Francisco, so hope to see you for all of them!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, CA · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 219 votes
    9y

    @J. Martin I replied to your email (organizer@sfbasummit) last week. Haven't heard back from you.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Avi Garg:

    @J. Martin I replied to your email (organizer@sfbasummit) last week. Haven't heard back from you.

     Hi Avi,
    Just took care of you.
    Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weekends!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, CA · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 219 votes
    9y

    @J. Martin Awesome. Thanks

  • Attorney · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 358 votes
    9y

    @Metra Ulloa

    Here's the info about our Santa Cruz meetup. It's this Thursday

    https://www.meetup.com/preview/Santa-Cruz-Real-Est...

    We're hoping the famous 

    @J. Martin  will make a guest appearance to tell everyone about this Summit.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jenifer Levini:

    @Metra Ulloa

    Here's the info about our Santa Cruz meetup. It's this Thursday

    https://www.meetup.com/preview/Santa-Cruz-Real-Est...

    We're hoping the famous 

    @J. Martin  will make a guest appearance to tell everyone about this Summit.

     Jenifer, 
    We're enjoying Newport Beach a lot, but maybe we'll come up on Thursday. You or @Shane Pearlman have a place for my girlfriend and I to crash in Santa Cruz? I could maybe swap one beach community for another if it's still warm :) We drove all the way from Seattle to Portland through Sacramento down to Orange County to chase the warm weather. But I enjoy seeing everyone out there, so maybe I can get over the fog ;)

    @Avi 

    @Avi Garg, you're confirmed. Looking forward to seeing you there!

  • Attorney · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 358 votes
    9y

    Yes, @J. Martin there is room on my couch for you two, or I have an empty basement, if you bring camping gear (sleeping bags and pads or mattresses). We'll figure it out. it's Santa Cruz, after all.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Tagging some folks from 2016 that I don't think I've seen on this year's list.. What have you all been up to? 

    @Joseph Atkin, @Jarrad Henry, @Craig Curelop, @Sam Lee, @Jin Kim, @Darius Falahkhir, @James Thiel, @John Barnette, @Eva Wu, @Deepika Tandon, @Jessica Yau, @Eric Z., @Jake Knight, @Pamela Starnes,

    Any deals since last year? 
    Anything new you're trying to learn, or people you want to meet? 

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Brian Burke for letting me know of the Summit.  Just registered and can't wait to meet everyone and hear from all of the Heavy Hitters!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 365 votes
    9y

    @J. Martin - Thanks for posting the Agenda--looks great! As we discussed, I am excited to shift my low-cash-flow San Francisco SFH rentals to furnished rentals and looking forward to learning from the likes of you and @Al Williamson. 

    What other Summit sessions and people should I connect with to dig into running smooth, profitable AirBnB properties? It's going to be fun!

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:

    Tagging some folks from 2016 that I don't think I've seen on this year's list.. What have you all been up to? 

    @Joseph Atkin, @Jarrad Henry, @Craig Curelop, @Sam Lee, @Jin Kim, @Darius Falahkhir, @James Thiel, @John Barnette, @Eva Wu, @Deepika Tandon, @Jessica Yau, @Eric Z., @Jake Knight, @Pamela Starnes,

    Any deals since last year? 
    Anything new you're trying to learn, or people you want to meet? 

     My little thingie still says "beyond" Fannie & Freddie, instead of "pushing the limits of" Fannie & Freddie. I don't want people to feel bait-and-switched. I'm going to talk about Fannie/Freddie good fixed interest rate stuff, not hard money & portfolio stuff. :)

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:

    Tagging some folks from 2016 that I don't think I've seen on this year's list.. What have you all been up to? 

    @Joseph Atkin, @Jarrad Henry, @Craig Curelop, @Sam Lee, @Jin Kim, @Darius Falahkhir, @James Thiel, @John Barnette, @Eva Wu, @Deepika Tandon, @Jessica Yau, @Eric Z., @Jake Knight, @Pamela Starnes,

    Any deals since last year? 
    Anything new you're trying to learn, or people you want to meet? 

     My little thingie still says "beyond" Fannie & Freddie, instead of "pushing the limits of" Fannie & Freddie. I don't want people to feel bait-and-switched. I'm going to talk about Fannie/Freddie good fixed interest rate stuff, not hard money & portfolio stuff. :)

    Chris, that was my mistake that the wrong topic got posted in. 

    It's fixed on our website at www.sfbaysummit.com . Not sure if you can remove the prior pic..? 

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Joseph Fang,

    Welcome out to your first Summit! I have you down for a 2-day ticket. And thanks for the shout-out @Brian Burke :)  Anything in particular you're most interested in learning about? 

    @Ethan Cooke, 

    Definitely connect with @Al Williamson and you'll meet other Airbnb folks in his breakout session. @Elizabeth Colegrove also rents furnished houses. Also, you'll be getting an email today or tomorrow for the networking app, Whova, which will let us look at each other's profiles for what everyone is interested in. I'm trying to work out timing with Kimberly Smith, CEO of Corporate Housing by Owner - but haven't been able to confirm yet. 

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @J. Martin - I'll be there this year! 

    Lots have changed since last year. I moved to Denver, started working at BiggerPockets, and am now house hacking a duplex. Met some real awesome people last year so definitely looking forward to it again this year. 

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    @J. Martinundefined

    I am looking forward to hearing from all of the guest speakers in general, with specific interest in investing in Syndications and Note Fund. Also looking for a CPA with REI expertise.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Craig Curelop, 
    Welcome (back) out from (now) Denver! :)  BP is such an awesome site. Hopefully love going in to work every day and helping out other investors :)

    @Joseph Fang,

    For Syndications, @Brian Burke , from up in Santa Rosa, will be talking about his experience, and @Lynn Currie from Austin will share about raising capital (and has experience investing in them.) @Dave Van Horn is our resident note expert. And @Amanda Han is the real estate tax expert. Be sure you don't miss their presentations at the Summit :)

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    9y

    I'm excited to be heading back, @J. Martin

    I'm looking forward to sharing with others my model for raising money to do deals. When I first got started, other than the "buy real estate with no money down" hype, the raising capital and structuring deals that worked for both the sponsor and investor was a little bit of a mystery. 

    Hopefully sharing my experience (and some of the nuts and bolts of how I structure things) will help others to grow their businesses and excel!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 365 votes
    9y

    @J. Martin - You are a beast and a gentleman! I don't know how you keep up with all the posts--good job. Thank you for all the great contacts. I will definitely attend @Al Williamson's breakout session and connect with the participants on their furnished rental strategies and tips. I also reached out to @Elizabeth Colegrove to learn from her experience. 

    There are so many exciting niches in real estate that it's tempting to fall prey to "shiny object syndrome". But I'm sticking to San Francisco SFH buy and hold with a shift from long-term unfurnished to furnished rentals to increase cash flow. (And maybe a tiny home AirBnB as a low-cost experiment.)

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    9y

    Shoot @Jenifer Levini I should have flown in early enough to go to your SC meetup and then hopped a ride up to Oakland! @J. Martin are you going to make it?

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ethan Cooke:

    @J. Martin - You are a beast and a gentleman! I don't know how you keep up with all the posts--good job. Thank you for all the great contacts. I will definitely attend @Al Williamson's breakout session and connect with the participants on their furnished rental strategies and tips. I also reached out to @Elizabeth Colegrove to learn from her experience. 

    There are so many exciting niches in real estate that it's tempting to fall prey to "shiny object syndrome". But I'm sticking to San Francisco SFH buy and hold with a shift from long-term unfurnished to furnished rentals to increase cash flow. (And maybe a tiny home AirBnB as a low-cost experiment.)

     Ethan, 
    Thanks :) I'm a bit behind on emails, but try to keep up with all the attendees, speakers, and BP stuff..
    I just confirmed Kimberly Smith, the founder of Corporate Housing by Owner (CHBO). She'll be there for the Saturday afternoon breakout sessions. So be sure to check her out also. She has great data she collects every year on the characteristics of stays, including length, and what guests are looking for. If San Francisco is working for you, then you're a step ahead of most!

    Also, @Jenifer Levini will be at the event, who knows a lot about tiny homes, and is going to the tiny home jamboree in TX. You should check it out too if you're really interested. I think it's the largest gathering of tiny home enthusiasts and actual tiny homes in the US - possibly the world. Great seeing you again last night in Santa Cruz, Jen, and good luck with the Santa Rosa house. We're going to miss you too @Shane Pearlman! Capitola 's Discretion Brewery won't be the same without you!

    @Lynn Currie,
    Really looking forward to seeing you again! (you're the OG! every year :)
    Thanks for coming out to share about raising capital. And I'm sure some people will want to pick your brain about Austin, building new homes, and investing in multifamily. The Santa Cruz meetup was last night! But you're welcome to come out whenever. 

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    To our speakers and breakout sessions leaders at the Summit... if you could take a moment to briefly share..

    #1) What is the reason/goal that got you into real estate? 

    #2) How has your business/geography changed as we have advanced into this later stage of the economic cycle? (or not changed?)

    @Dave Van Horn, @Bill Exeter, @Chris Mason, @Will Barnard, @Brian Burke, @Amanda Han, @J Scott, @Brie Schmidt, @Ben Leybovich, @Elizabeth Colegrove, @Al Williamson, @Jay Hinrichs, @Lynn Currie, @Jerry Puckett, @Amy Wan, @Haim Mamane Palman, @Tapan Trivedi, @David Lecko, @Account Closed

    Will take any links or pics you have, to get a flavor, also :)

    These speakers represent:
    > 76,000 posts on Bigger Pockets
    > 57,000 votes on BP

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @J. Martin the summit has always been a great source of information and a better place to network.  I am a small fish compared to the rest of the speakers, but I am excited to share what little knowledge I have.

    1) I personally got into real estate, after building my small tech related companies, to add additional revenue streams to my person income. I am not looking to build a REI firm or add doors to currently replace my W2. However, I do anticipate that my REI income stream will support me once I go into retirement mode.

    2) My geography has not changed but may expand as my investment goals are starting to shift from a personal income stream to a "tool" to protect and bolster my competitiveness with my other companies. I see that housing is a key concern for my employees in my tech companies. I have recently started a pilot program to help my employees purchase homes. The dream of owning a home for manufacturing related people is quickly moving out of the grasp of my employees. Therefore, they look to moving out of the immediate area and deal with long commutes or in some cases leave the state. The drain of qualified technicians and operators is a direct threat to my companies. Therefore, I am now looking at purchasing SFR's and condominiums and then turning around and doing seller financing directly to my employees. In the end, I hope to hold "paper" instead of properties and protect my employee base.

    Neither point 1 or 2 are generally applicable to a wide audience.  However, I like to stress to people that a business strategy must be tailored to the individual needs of the investor.  The more specific a person can be about their goals, the more specific of a comprehensive strategy can be created.

    Looking forward to seeing everybody next week!

    -Arlen

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.