Chicago House Hackers Meetup

Chicago House Hackers Meetup

When:

Where:Kincade's Bar & Grill - 950 W Armitage

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes

This will be the first meetup event for this group.  We are trying to organize a small get together of those currently using and those aspiring to use the house hacking investing method in the Chicago area.  This event is meant to be a chance to discuss and share experiences and best practices, and there will be no pitching of services.  Ideal attendees would be current investors or those looking to learn from others who have already implemented the strategy.  

We are two new investors who recently purchased our own house hack 3flat in Portage Park.  We don't have years worth of experience, but we feel like we already have some fun stories to share, and we look forward to hearing those from others.  If this event is successful, we hope to line up guest speakers and experts to share words of wisdom on how to better execute on this strategy.

We tried to pick an easily accessible location.  Kincaid's is right off the Armitage stop on the Brown line in Lincoln Park.  The venue is free, however we would encourage everyone to have a drink and/or a bite while there as our hosts are allowing free usage of the space if we can get 15 attendees.  So, if you plan on coming, please RSVP with a response in the comments. 

We look forward to meeting some fellow hackers!

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 6 votes
9y
Kenneth, Thank you for hosting the meet up. Me and my wife enjoyed meeting you guys and hearing everyone's stories.
See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Cowan this looks like a great idea! When is your first meeting? I would love to come if I can make it fit the schedule. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    9y
    John Warren - going to do the first event on Sep 25th. If you go to the events page you can RSVP. We hope you are able to make it!
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    9y
    John Warren I'm bad at tagging. Still learning
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    Hi Kenneth, I will plan on being at Kincaids on the 25th as well. Glad you set this up!
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    9y
    Donald Aleshire great! Looking forward to seeing you there. So far we've had a good amount of interest. I'm looking forward to exchanging thoughts and ideas with others on this path. Should be an insightful night.
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 173 posts · 85 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Cowan Hi Kenneth, I will attend.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks for setting this up! I am looking forward to this event. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    9y
    Ryan Canfield glad to hear it! I'll look forward to asking you about your experiences with the 3 flats so far. We are only on our first one but are looking at a very similar track to you. What area of town are you in?
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    9y
    Minelik Sisay thanks for committing to come. I look forward to meeting. I believe whole heartedly that this is the best way to get started in our investing environment in Chicago. There should be quite a few members there with experiences to share and discuss.
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 173 posts · 85 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Cowan I would love to talk further about my experience with my flats.  We currently live on the Avondale/Old Irving Park border and our pure investment property is in Portage Park.  I look forward to talking further in a few weeks!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    Agreed looking forward to learning from everyone!
  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Cowan shoot! I was hoping to join, but that's the same night we hold our regular club meeting on the Northside. Let me know what day you set up your next one. House hacking got me started into my full time career.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    This one is tempting, I would love to tgo...I am also working on my first house hack and already got one under contract. Mondays are tough for me due to work. But please share your thoughts and experience after the meetup.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Meghan McCallum sorry to hear you can't make it. We'll try to schedule the next meet up so it doesn't overlap. I know both Kenneth Cowan and I would love to touch base with you some time.
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi, new to Bigger Pockets and investing. looking forward to meeting you all and hearing your stories! 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    9y
    Hi Cynthia Mejia and welcome to our little group here. I'm glad to see we have some folks with no places, some folks with 1 hack in progress, and some folks with 2+ places, so the mix is going to be great. I look forward to meeting you next week at the event.
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    @Kenneth Cowan I'm evaluating several MFUs for house hacking, in early days. Looking forward to meeting you and others at this event.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    @Erik Mazmanian same here. I'll be interested to hear about your progress so far and how you are going about your search. Will be happy to share how @Kaitlyn Cowan and I went through our process to land our 3 flat to house hack. See you there!

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Cowan I will be there! Like others, I'll be interested to hear about your recent purchase and learn from others as well. 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    I plan to be there!  

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 69 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Cowan awesome event and looks like you are going to have some great turnout man. I am a born/raised Chicago boy that started RE investing last year, but didn't house hack so i don't think this get together is really for me. i would love to meet other professionals in my area(i live/work in Lincoln Park) to brainstorm with on other areas of RE investing down the road, so hopefully this can be a regular event with different topics maybe? Just inquiring. Heard @Meghan McCallum on the podcast a few months back and definitely would love to hear her thoughts on "taking it to the next level" so if you can get her to pop in, i guarantee a storm of people will follow.

    Best of luck with the meetup and look forward to future events in Chicago. (btw, love Sabatino's!! ha)

  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 367 votes
    9y

    I'm thinking about going. The time is the only thing holding me back since I have a ton of things to do that day 

  • Mike B.Pro Member
    Developer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 434 posts · 357 votes
    9y

    Hi, is this meeting strictly to talk about experience or are you also looking for people to attend that have off market multi unit opportunities that fit the house hacking model?

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    9y

    @Ted Kuhlmann Thanks man! Guys, I'd love to attend one of these! @Kenneth Cowan, let me know the next time you plan a meeting if you'd like me to come and speak.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.