BP REI - Prince William County - May 2019

BP REI - Prince William County - May 2019

When:

Where:Community Room, 5049 Waterway Dr Montclair, Virginia 22025

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Northern Virginia · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 22 votes

Greetings, BP Family! This will be the SECOND meeting of BPREI - Prince William County (aka Bigger Pockets Real Estate Investors in Prince William County). My main goals for this group are for it to be education-oriented, welcoming to all no matter where they are in their journey, and useful for networking.


I (Barb) am a newbie and would love to see this group be a welcoming mix of folks from the new to the experienced. Let's make this a rewarding experience for anyone and everyone who turns up. Maybe we won't know everything, but we'll put you in touch with someone who can help with what you're trying to learn about.

As for how we use the time, I think there's benefits to both general socializing as well as a more structured discussion group. Let's plan on this first one being meet & greet, getting to know each other, what our goals are, what our expertise is in, what we're looking to get out of such meetings, etc. Maybe we can plan discussions on a topic for some months, or we can stick to people discussing what's on their plates at the moment and get everyone's input. Let's turn this group into what we need it to be. For example, I myself am looking for a mentor, with a few successful buy-and-hold rental properties, for accountability with good rapport and a similar philosophy to mine.

Logistically speaking, my / our goal is to meet on a Monday or Thursday in approximately the third week of every month. Right now we're looking at a 6:30 - 8:30 time frame and using libraries in Eastern Prince William County to keep these cost-accessible to everyone. For this second meeting we'll be in the larger Community Room. Food and beverages are permitted! 

Next meeting: TBD.

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

VA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
6y

I am definately interested in networking with people doing similar style rentals. The commercial side has been pretty easy, one tenant who has taken care of everything. Moving to doing residential is a little scary since it will definately be more hands on. I would love to find a club or group that likes to get together here and there. I am not preparred to lead one though!!!! Going to keep studying and learning, perhaps in the near future can attempt to put one together. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Northern Virginia · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Hello, everyone! It's been a busy month for me. Tomorrow we have our second meeting! We need to settle on a name for our group too, since I was notified we can't use "BP" in the title (whoops... and I can't figure out how to change it).

    PLEASE NOTE AN ADDRESS CHANGE: We will still be at the Montclair Library, but in Group Study Room #4 again rather than the Community Room. 

    Here's the general idea for the structure for tomorrow's meeting:

    1. 15 minutes to mingle, catch up, network, and get settled
    2. 45 minutes for a Focused Discussion on a particular aspect of real estate investing. I think this month I'd like to focus on the finding deals or analyzing deals portion of REI. I'll have some discussion points prepared, but please come with your experiences and questions to share with the group.
    3. 20 minutes in the Hot Seat: Someone will get a chance to present their current dilemma to the group and we will focus on their situation to help them as best we can. If you're up for volunteering for a Hot Seat spot, post here!
    4. Another 20 minute Hot Seat round. I'll be prepped as a back-up in case we don't have a second person step forward.
    5. A final 20 minutes to mingle, catch up, network, and say goodbyes.

    I hope it's been a productive month for everyone! I hit it pretty hard last month and have been truly lagging the last 1-2 weeks. I'm looking forward to getting some energy and focus back from spending time with you all. See you tomorrow at 6:30!

  • Leo GonzalezPro Member
    Alexandria, VA · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Sorry I won't be able to make it tonight but definitely looking forward to the next meeting!

  • VA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I would love to be added to the list if any more future meetings are taking place. I live in PWC and have been in a partnership that rents a large commercial real estate property. I will be moving to residential investing here in the near future and am eager to learn from others in my home area. 

  • Northern Virginia · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Jason Cosner Welcome and thanks for your message! We haven't had any more meetings... I was the driving force behind setting up the monthly meetings at the Montclair Community Library study rooms. The first was very well attended, the second smaller, and then I was by myself for the third! With my other projects, I don't have the bandwidth to organize, publicize, and host. However, if you're up for taking on that mantle, I know I would be interested in attending :)

  • VA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I am definately interested in networking with people doing similar style rentals. The commercial side has been pretty easy, one tenant who has taken care of everything. Moving to doing residential is a little scary since it will definately be more hands on. I would love to find a club or group that likes to get together here and there. I am not preparred to lead one though!!!! Going to keep studying and learning, perhaps in the near future can attempt to put one together. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.