STR and Pool Heaters

STR and Pool Heaters

Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes

I'm planning on another STR, but this one has a rather large pool, where many STRs in town have a small plunge pool. In SW Florida our season is typically January-April. A pool heater will definitely make the STR much more appealing. My concern is the huge cost of the electric bill. Electric pool heaters are really expensive to run and solar heaters may not do the trick, even in our SW Florida winter months.

How do you deal with a situation like this? Do you put a limit on the electric bill and charge the credit card after the bill arrives if it's over the allowed amount? Do you bite the bullet and pay a few thouand dollars? Our electric rates have gone way up this year!

0Reply
154 views

Most Popular Reply

Jim WindgassenPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Stevensville, MD · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 28 votes
4y

What would you say if I told you that I heat my pool in Maryland for free using the waste heat from my air conditioner and it makes my A/C more efficient as well ?  About 7 or 8 years ago, I installed a water cooled condenser onto my existing A/C unit and it dumps all of the heat from my house into my pool when the A/C is running.  I keep my pool at 91 degrees F all summer long and it extends my swimming season significantly. I barely used my pool in MD before I did this because I don't get in pools that are under about 82 degrees as I get cold very easily.

Here's the link:

https://www.hotspotenergy.com/...

The cost of the kit was about $1000, but you are going to need to either be pretty handy or find an air conditioning / refrigeration professional that is more skilled than your average plug and chug HVAC installer.  I'm an engineer, so I did most of it myself.

I have optimized the energy consumption of my system by pairing it with a multispeed pool pump which only uses 200W when moving water through the condenser when the A/C is running.

Feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to talk with you in more detail.

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    I had a gas line run to my house for a gas pool heater. Wasn’t too big of a deal. Must have for my Florida short term. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    That would be nice, but we don't have natural gas in FL. (At least no where in my neck of the woods) EVERYTHING is electric.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Linda Weiner, I have seen that most have a pool fee. The heater is off unless the guests request the heater to be turned on.

    Here in Idaho on the lake, water temp is about 65 out on our beach. We are on a deeper part of the lake so it runs a bit cooler. No heating that up!

    You could install a propane system. Pretty simple over all. Get a 120 gallon plug tank and the pool heater. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Do you have a pool?

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    I assume you mean me @Linda Weiner. No we don't have a pool. We have a 50,000 acre lake our house sits on. :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    I assume you mean me @Linda Weiner. No we don't have a pool. We have a 50,000 acre lake our house sits on. :)


     Yes, you.:)

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hehe, gotcha! Ok @Linda Weiner, what neighborhood is the house in? I was checking and there seems to be a lot of natural gas in Naples in general, but not as common as up north.

    I did read an article about new big feed lines going in all over the place around Naples in 2017. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hehe, gotcha! Ok @Linda Weiner, what neighborhood is the house in? I was checking and there seems to be a lot of natural gas in Naples in general, but not as common as up north.

    I did read an article about new big feed lines going in all over the place around Naples in 2017. 


     The house is in Logan Woods. It's on 2.75 acres with well and septic. I only know of a few friends whose homes have gas, but it's because they've brought in a big tank, had it put in their backyard and fill in with propane for their BBQ and stove/oven.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Install a propane tank and use a gas heater. You will save so much money.....

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Ok, well @Linda Weiner I can't find any info about natural gas coming into that area. So you could do the propane.

    Here is an article that is very basic about what goes into installing one.

    https://blog.intheswim.com/ins...

    One thing that is nice is propane has more energy per BTU so it takes less fuel to run, but it will have to get delivered which shouldn't be an issue.

    You are going to have to contact a local propane company who might be able to give you an idea of size. They have a wide range from under 100k BTU to well over 500k. I am going to guess it will be around 10k once it is all said and done.

    You are going to have to run the numbers to see if it amortizes out.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    You are going to have to contact a local propane company who might be able to give you an idea of size. They have a wide range from under 100k BTU to well over 500k. I am going to guess it will be around 10k once it is all said and done.

    I bet it's a lot less! The companies will lease you the tank for $60 a year. The cost to run a gas line to the heater is minimal. Put the tank as close to the house as you can...usually30 ft or so.


  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Bruce Woodruff, I would hope so, but with the way things are right now, you never know. Depending on the size of the pool (gallons wise) you could spend up to 5k just for the heater. Or as little at 1800 for a smaller one.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    @Linda Weiner Hi! I've seen seasonal rentals in our market that have a fee for the pool heater ($150/Month). This was on a $45,000/Month Rental in Olde Naples but I'm sure you can apply something similar to offset the cost. Maybe even just add it to the rate so it's not an extra fee. Pool Heaters are definitely a must, prior to getting one, I wouldn't use our pool other than in Summer months. Hope that helps!

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Robert Alpizar:

    @Linda Weiner Hi! I've seen seasonal rentals in our market that have a fee for the pool heater ($150/Month). This was on a $45,000/Month Rental in Olde Naples but I'm sure you can apply something similar to offset the cost. Maybe even just add it to the rate so it's not an extra fee. Pool Heaters are definitely a must, prior to getting one, I wouldn't use our pool other than in Summer months. Hope that helps!


     Thanks Robert. If you're still in town you'll know $150/month is not much to cover the cost of running a heater. I may have to just add an amount to the rental rate. The house is in Logan Woods, near the Vineyards. It's being remodeled now which gives me some time to figure it out.

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Linda Weiner:
    Quote from @Robert Alpizar:

    @Linda Weiner Hi! I've seen seasonal rentals in our market that have a fee for the pool heater ($150/Month). This was on a $45,000/Month Rental in Olde Naples but I'm sure you can apply something similar to offset the cost. Maybe even just add it to the rate so it's not an extra fee. Pool Heaters are definitely a must, prior to getting one, I wouldn't use our pool other than in Summer months. Hope that helps!


     Thanks Robert. If you're still in town you'll know $150/month is not much to cover the cost of running a heater. I may have to just add an amount to the rental rate. The house is in Logan Woods, near the Vineyards. It's being remodeled now which gives me some time to figure it out.


     BTW, my pool guy suggested I get a solar heater AND an electric heater. Have the solar heater on all the time and it will reduce the use of the electric heater. What do you think aabout that?

  • Jim WindgassenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Stevensville, MD · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 28 votes
    4y

    What would you say if I told you that I heat my pool in Maryland for free using the waste heat from my air conditioner and it makes my A/C more efficient as well ?  About 7 or 8 years ago, I installed a water cooled condenser onto my existing A/C unit and it dumps all of the heat from my house into my pool when the A/C is running.  I keep my pool at 91 degrees F all summer long and it extends my swimming season significantly. I barely used my pool in MD before I did this because I don't get in pools that are under about 82 degrees as I get cold very easily.

    Here's the link:

    https://www.hotspotenergy.com/...

    The cost of the kit was about $1000, but you are going to need to either be pretty handy or find an air conditioning / refrigeration professional that is more skilled than your average plug and chug HVAC installer.  I'm an engineer, so I did most of it myself.

    I have optimized the energy consumption of my system by pairing it with a multispeed pool pump which only uses 200W when moving water through the condenser when the A/C is running.

    Feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to talk with you in more detail.

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jim Windgassen:

    What would you say if I told you that I heat my pool in Maryland for free using the waste heat from my air conditioner and it makes my A/C more efficient as well ?  About 7 or 8 years ago, I installed a water cooled condenser onto my existing A/C unit and it dumps all of the heat from my house into my pool when the A/C is running.  I keep my pool at 91 degrees F all summer long and it extends my swimming season significantly. I barely used my pool in MD before I did this because I don't get in pools that are under about 82 degrees as I get cold very easily.

    Here's the link:

    https://www.hotspotenergy.com/...

    The cost of the kit was about $1000, but you are going to need to either be pretty handy or find an air conditioning / refrigeration professional that is more skilled than your average plug and chug HVAC installer.  I'm an engineer, so I did most of it myself.

    I have optimized the energy consumption of my system by pairing it with a multispeed pool pump which only uses 200W when moving water through the condenser when the A/C is running.

    Feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to talk with you in more detail.

    That's very interesting! I'll look into it! Thank you :)



    That's very interesting! I'll look into it! Thank you :)
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Linda Weiner:

    That would be nice, but we don't have natural gas in FL. (At least no where in my neck of the woods) EVERYTHING is electric.

    What about a gas tank? You can lease these for a small amount and the gas company can monitor it and fill it as needed.
  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Linda Weiner:

    That would be nice, but we don't have natural gas in FL. (At least no where in my neck of the woods) EVERYTHING is electric.

    What about a gas tank? You can lease these for a small amount and the gas company can monitor it and fill it as needed.

     I'm looking into that. Thx. 


  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Linda Weiner:
    Quote from @Linda Weiner:
    Quote from @Robert Alpizar:

    @Linda Weiner Hi! I've seen seasonal rentals in our market that have a fee for the pool heater ($150/Month). This was on a $45,000/Month Rental in Olde Naples but I'm sure you can apply something similar to offset the cost. Maybe even just add it to the rate so it's not an extra fee. Pool Heaters are definitely a must, prior to getting one, I wouldn't use our pool other than in Summer months. Hope that helps!


     Thanks Robert. If you're still in town you'll know $150/month is not much to cover the cost of running a heater. I may have to just add an amount to the rental rate. The house is in Logan Woods, near the Vineyards. It's being remodeled now which gives me some time to figure it out.


     BTW, my pool guy suggested I get a solar heater AND an electric heater. Have the solar heater on all the time and it will reduce the use of the electric heater. What do you think aabout that?


     Well of course that's the way to go, but how much money do you want to throw into this? At some point you'll never make it back.....

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Bruce Woodruff, I would hope so, but with the way things are right now, you never know. Depending on the size of the pool (gallons wise) you could spend up to 5k just for the heater. Or as little at 1800 for a smaller one.


     Gotcha - I wasn't including the cost of the heater, you might be close.....!

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Linda Weiner:
    Quote from @Linda Weiner:
    Quote from @Robert Alpizar:

    @Linda Weiner Hi! I've seen seasonal rentals in our market that have a fee for the pool heater ($150/Month). This was on a $45,000/Month Rental in Olde Naples but I'm sure you can apply something similar to offset the cost. Maybe even just add it to the rate so it's not an extra fee. Pool Heaters are definitely a must, prior to getting one, I wouldn't use our pool other than in Summer months. Hope that helps!


     Thanks Robert. If you're still in town you'll know $150/month is not much to cover the cost of running a heater. I may have to just add an amount to the rental rate. The house is in Logan Woods, near the Vineyards. It's being remodeled now which gives me some time to figure it out.


     BTW, my pool guy suggested I get a solar heater AND an electric heater. Have the solar heater on all the time and it will reduce the use of the electric heater. What do you think aabout that?


     Well of course that's the way to go, but how much money do you want to throw into this? At some point you'll never make it back.....

    At some point I may sell my home on Lakeview and live at this house. I have no issue spending a few thousand more.
  • Stetson MillerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2019 · 576 posts · 423 votes
    4y

    @Linda Weiner The propane heating option is something I've seen many people in Naples do with larger pools and they are all very happy with the results. One thing I would recommend before going through with that though would be to contact a pool company who does solar installations and see what temperature gains you could expect on a pool your size. There's a chance that it may still be sufficient for the temperatures that we see over the winter here and could end up saving you a ton of money in the long run

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Stetson Miller:

    @Linda Weiner The propane heating option is something I've seen many people in Naples do with larger pools and they are all very happy with the results. One thing I would recommend before going through with that though would be to contact a pool company who does solar installations and see what temperature gains you could expect on a pool your size. There's a chance that it may still be sufficient for the temperatures that we see over the winter here and could end up saving you a ton of money in the long run


     Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.