Renewing a STR Tenant

Renewing a STR Tenant

Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hey guys! 

This is my first time posting on this platform and I'm hoping to get some clarification on the following topic. My husband and I welcomed our first 28 day renter in our STR property. They are a great family and they have asked if they can extend for an additional 28 days. We are thrilled but want to make sure we are going about this correctly. To our understanding, short term rentals only allows stays up to 28 days. When our guest books for another 28 days, would she and her family need to vacate our STR for 24 hours before her new 28 day reservation begins? I know there are different rules and regulations for STR vs. long term rentals. Additionally, we she will be signing a short term rental lease agreement off-platform for her next reservation. Anything I should know about when going off platform? I'd appreciate any feedback you have about this. TIA :)

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

This turns them from a guest to a tenant and you need a lease signed before day 28 comes! 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Curtis, NE · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 140 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Staci Russell:

    Hey guys! 

    This is my first time posting on this platform and I'm hoping to get some clarification on the following topic. My husband and I welcomed our first 28 day renter in our STR property. They are a great family and they have asked if they can extend for an additional 28 days. We are thrilled but want to make sure we are going about this correctly. To our understanding, short term rentals only allows stays up to 28 days. When our guest books for another 28 days, would she and her family need to vacate our STR for 24 hours before her new 28 day reservation begins? I know there are different rules and regulations for STR vs. long term rentals. Additionally, we she will be signing a short term rental lease agreement off-platform for her next reservation. Anything I should know about when going off platform? I'd appreciate any feedback you have about this. TIA :)

     Hey @Staci Russell - a point of clarification. Whose rules are you trying to follow relative to conforming to the definition of STR? Is there some rule you are trying to adhere to for some reason relative to a STR? Oh, and welcome to BP.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Just collect your rent in advance (by the week, every 2 weeks, or every 28 days).  I don't mess with paperwork, deposits, etc.  Just collect the rent in advance.  I've got one group of guys that have been renting from me for about 16 months.  Actually it's different guys from the same company.  Originally had 4, one by one they were transferred and replaced by new guys.  One of the original guys is long gone, but he pays by credit card every week for the other guys.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    This turns them from a guest to a tenant and you need a lease signed before day 28 comes! 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    Have a traditional lease in place to protect both parties.

  • Realtor · Pocono Pines, PA · Member since 2019 · 183 posts · 108 votes
    3y

    Hey, @Staci Russell Welcome to the Bigger pockets family.

    I would check with your local HOA/ Township rules for this scenario, you should be good to do whatever. I would talk to the tenants and see if they want to keep extending their lease, and you could get a "long term" lease with them, not much of a difference between short or long term but it will depend on where you are located and the local rules.

    Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

    Live Free, 

    Mike  

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Bob Willis:
    Quote from @Staci Russell:

    Hey guys! 

    This is my first time posting on this platform and I'm hoping to get some clarification on the following topic. My husband and I welcomed our first 28 day renter in our STR property. They are a great family and they have asked if they can extend for an additional 28 days. We are thrilled but want to make sure we are going about this correctly. To our understanding, short term rentals only allows stays up to 28 days. When our guest books for another 28 days, would she and her family need to vacate our STR for 24 hours before her new 28 day reservation begins? I know there are different rules and regulations for STR vs. long term rentals. Additionally, we she will be signing a short term rental lease agreement off-platform for her next reservation. Anything I should know about when going off platform? I'd appreciate any feedback you have about this. TIA :)

     Hey @Staci Russell - a point of clarification. Whose rules are you trying to follow relative to conforming to the definition of STR? Is there some rule you are trying to adhere to for some reason relative to a STR? Oh, and welcome to BP.

     Hi Bob, 

    Thanks so much for your reply. My husband has been researching tenants rights and the general number seems to be 28 days or less. After 28 days, our "guest" becomes a "tenant" and in the event that they don't pay their rent, we would have to start the eviction process. My husband seems to be very concerned about our STR guests staying longer than 28 days. He thinks they should move out for 24 hours and then rebook and move back in to restart their next 28 day stay.

    AirBnB allows hosts to have long term guests (longer than 28 days) and so far, our guest has been amazing with paying and communicating with us. Just want to make sure we are protecting our asset while giving great custom service to our guests. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I had 2 psychotic mutts rent a place for 6 months before their gambling problems interfered with their rent. I just had the utilities disconnected and gave them a phone number of someone else with an STR. That was 4 years ago. The person with the STR is still waiting to get paid. One of the psychotic mutts ended up in a psychiatric institution.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I think everyone summed it up pretty well @Staci Russell. Get that lease in place asap.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    depends what town and state you're in.. NY or any west coast state do not renew. make them leave and come back.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I wouldn't do this at all. You sound desperate....can't you get regular guests for your STR? I would avoid the 'tenant' issue like the plague...that's one of the huge benefits of STRs.

    We don't allow stays over 14 days, don't want tenants, plus we find that long term guests tend to get too comfortable.

    If you want to start doing longer term rental, why not just do them? I'd bet you're giving these 'nice people' a discount too....?

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

     I would avoid the 'tenant' issue like the plague...that's one of the huge benefits of STRs.

    We don't allow stays over 14 days, don't want tenants, plus we find that long term guests tend to get too comfortable.

    I see a new plaque for my desk.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.