1 or 2 Bedroom AirBnb?

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 11 votes
3y

Here is my take, but know I just started mid-October so I am not a pro. I have a 2 BD 1BA apartment over my workshop. While I do not have the beds for a large family or group of friends, my place had been very busy with singles and couples looking to get away by themselves, seeking options other that hotels when in town for work, small gatherings of friends that cannot afford a larger place. 

To me, I have more options and I don't have to wait on a larger group for a payday.

It is also up to how you manage. I self clean and I do not want to clean up after 8 or more folks.

Also, though, location is part of the equation. I am around wedding venues, wineries, hiking trails, mountains, etc. My place would not be a destination for families who want to pool their resources for a larger place where they can stay together.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    More beds = more money. But you need to look into Miami first it is a known NoStr 

  • Rental Property Investor · Stewartsville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 419 posts · 280 votes
    3y

    I think the saying is something like "more heads in beds", but basically the more rooms/beds you have the potential for more revenue.

    You should look up the regulations for STRs in Miami.  You may also want to look at the data on Airdna.co or what similar type condos are renting for on Airbnb and VRBO to get an idea of how much it may generate.

    Mike

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Like everyone is saying, the more bedrooms (beds) the better. 

    A house is also usually better than a condo.

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    Heads in beds equals more money. 

    However if you can only afford a 1 bedroom, there’s nothing wrong with that. Little properties can perform well too. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Roxan Wais-Shirley. Here is some info on Miami. Lots of restrictions - https://www.miamigov.com/Plann...

    You are going to do better in an area where STRs are legal.

  • Real Estate Agent · Arlington, VA · Member since 2017 · 98 posts · 50 votes
    3y

    @Roxan Wais-Shirley to echo what everyone else has said, be sure to follow the state and local regulations.

    Additionally, check the condo rules - some specifically state guidelines for the units (aka owner occupied, long term rentals only, etc)

  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    I'd suggest to first study the market, rules and regulations in your city as well as check out Airdna to have an overall picture and decide what is best suited for you and your business. Ideally, more beds would potential have more revenue.
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I can't speak for your market, I stay away from one bedrooms. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis IN + Poconos, PA · Member since 2022 · 51 posts · 39 votes
    3y

    1 and 2 bedrooms work well in different markets. 

    Checkout BiggerPockets' tool with AirDNA rentalizer - https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Property Manager · Miami, FL · Member since 2023 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    I would definitely say 2 bedroom over 1 bedroom home. Not only because you can host more people and make more money but people do tend to travel in groups when they visit, be it friend group or family group

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    Here is my take, but know I just started mid-October so I am not a pro. I have a 2 BD 1BA apartment over my workshop. While I do not have the beds for a large family or group of friends, my place had been very busy with singles and couples looking to get away by themselves, seeking options other that hotels when in town for work, small gatherings of friends that cannot afford a larger place. 

    To me, I have more options and I don't have to wait on a larger group for a payday.

    It is also up to how you manage. I self clean and I do not want to clean up after 8 or more folks.

    Also, though, location is part of the equation. I am around wedding venues, wineries, hiking trails, mountains, etc. My place would not be a destination for families who want to pool their resources for a larger place where they can stay together.

  • REALTOR, Investor, and Rehab Expert · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 196 posts · 74 votes
    3y

    My appraoch to this question is on the field research. If this is in a condo simply get on the elevator and you will stumble with a housekeeper. Ask what type of unit they clean the most? Then see what unit is most rare or less inventory of in the building. Does the building have more 1 bed rooms or 2 bedrooms. You can also ask the front desk. Who will know better than the people who see the booking action on a daily basis. 

  • Member since 2022 · 272 posts · 253 votes
    3y

    to me, both can appeal to a couple, but only the 2 bed is going to also capture small families.  Obviously the price difference matters here as well.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    A similar thread popped up a few weeks back, and some posters shared some interesting data that the 1 bedrooms have better COC return (IIRC that was the metric used) than 2s and 3 bedrooms. The nice thing with a 1 bedroom is you can be more competitive with both your base price and your cleaning fee. Lots of couples and single travelers end up booking 2 bedroom houses even if they only need one bedroom because they want the amenities that typically come with it. I wouldn't write them off.

  • Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 48 votes
    3y

    1 or 2 bedrooms will work since Miami Beach and Miami are very busy for STR.

    Particularly I would stay out of Miami Beach since they have some restrictions and for sure they will have more in the future.

    Anywhere around Miami Beach would work as well and you will have less restrictions on STRs.

  • Realtor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    @Roxan Wais-Shirley First, Take a look at the Miami Beach STR map. Most condos do not allow short term rentals. The condo buildings that do allow STR are mostly going to be condo-hotels (think W Hotel, Roney Palace, 1 Hotel, etc.) and these buildings do not qualify for conventional financing. Most investors who buy STR properties in Miami Beach pay cash.

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Would definitely consult Air DNA on this one if you have an account and see how revenue estimates, occupancy, highest performing properties, etc. compare between 1 bedroom vs 2 bedroom condo's in Miami Beach. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.