AirBnB Income Calculation Spreadsheet

AirBnB Income Calculation Spreadsheet

Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes

AirBnB Income Calculations

Starting out in 2018 I rented out rooms in my house. I got continuous traffic, albeit small potatoes, but besides the joy of meeting interesting people and hosting, the greatest benefit was 5 months of data and good reviews (thanks to my Tito’s Margarita recipe!). In 2019 I decided to only rent my house while I was out of town, sometimes working around my guests stay (i.e. sleeping in my truck or taking leave to get out of town and go camping) I even considered getting a trailer and living on base part time, but I instead opted to buy another house to do a live and flip. I will be doing full time AirBnB on this house starting the end of the month and expect to gross $2000/mo, if I average between 15-20 days booked. I will continue to clean the house when I am able, but I will try to hand over the cleaning responsibility to a company I trust and can rely on to get in and out on an atypical schedule. If you decide to read any further, you’ll see that my calculations are pretty simple, but they will lead you to a product that can give you a quick synopsis of your short term rental situation, and whether the best route to go is AirBnB or traditional Long-term rental.

First rule of any spreadsheet calculation is: ‘garbage in = garbage out.’ Identifying your independent variables and making sure that they are not garbage is step numero uno. For my AirBnB Income Calculation spreadsheet, I take the average of the area (no filter) through a quick AirBnB search without dates, then I take a filtered average of the area (specific to my rental: i.e. number of rooms, bathrooms, beds, pets allowed, etc.) and use the average of both minus 10% of the Max of the averages (because I want to be competitive in the market and to provide conservative estimates). This will give you the expected average value of one night in your house, the AirBnB Avg Nightly Price.

Table 1. Calculated AirBnB Avg Nightly Price.

Now I have my nightly income. The second step in my spreadsheet is to calculate the total costs of my house: Mortgage, Insurance, Taxes, Utilities, Cleaning Services, Lawn Care Services, and add them up for a Monthly Property Cost.

Table 2. Calculated Monthly Property Costs.

Here’s where the magic happens. I create a Day Count from 1 to 30 in a Row, or Array, corresponding with each numbered cell I calculate the Monthly ROI (Return on Investment) showing you that under, or next to, cell 15 that for 15 nights I have an ROI of $293.93 and cell 12 that for 12 nights I have an ROI of -$84.67.

Table 3. Array of days occupied to see AirBnB ROI.

This is extremely valuable for estimating AirBnB income in any area and determining if the juice is worth the squeeze. It can be used to find a breakeven point and even compare that to the Long-term Rental Averages in the area. Using the same formulas and procedures above create another array from 1 to 30 of for a Long-term Rental Monthly ROI broken down by night. Assuming the property will not need the utilities and cleaning services, your Monthly Property Costs will be lower for Long-term Rentals. This is huge! If you cannot beat the Long-term Rental Monthly ROI after 15 days, it is probably not worth putting on AirBnB in an average market.

However, you can see your potential AirBnB earnings can reach 2x or 3x your earnings for a long-term rental with a total of just 20 days booked. To visualize this, take the AirBnB Monthly ROI Data (and Annual ROI Data) and the Long-term Monthly ROI (and Annual ROI Data) and plot them versus your day count array on a line graph.

Graph 1. ROI for Days Occupied. Line Graph of AirBnB Annual and Monthly Income and Long-term Rental Annual and Monthly Income.

You can see points of interest, where the Annual data lines overlap and Monthly data lines overlap, this is the break-even point for AirBnB and Long-term rentals. If you're in a "hot market" you can conservatively assume you will hit an average of 20 nights a month booked on AirBnB. However, in a standard market, the AirBnB calculator on their website will spit out a "What you could make" estimate based on 15 nights rented out. This might be a good estimate off the bat, but leaves something to be desired. It doesn't tell you that you might need to pay HOA fees, or that your mortgage is too high, or that your neighborhood is sketchy and no one wants to rent out your house because you're in the sticks. As you test the waters, modify the calculations, or better yet, compare your actuals to the predicted data. If you find you're not making what you thought you would, change up your AirBnB tactics (i.e. find a cheaper cleaning service, get professional photos taken, have a minimum of 2-nights per stay, make your cancellation policy more stringent/less stringent, minimize pricing, spruce up your house, etc.) or cut-rope and rent out with long-term leases.

I'm a huge spreadsheet geek. I graduated from the University of Texas (Hook’em!) with an Aerospace Engineering degree and I can’t imagine getting through college without Excel! My works or art may not have the same elegance as other spreadsheets, but they are simple and I have confidence in them to show me an accurate story of my investments. Below is my actual data from AirBnB that shows my gross income for 2018 and 2019, as you can see I made more money in 2019 even though my nights booked were nearly a third the amount the previous year. My average nightly price crept up as I got better reviews, but it wasn’t until I made this spreadsheet that I realized I was charging way less than what I should. My last month of 2019 I grossed $1600 for 13 nights booked ($123/night) – a number which I got to with my handy-dandy AirBnB Income Calculator. In April I took a break from AirBnB and rented out my rooms to a couple roommates, $1200/mo total, and was able to justify the price based on the AirBnB income. This break has allowed me to spruce up my place with a DIY patio and a planter/screen in the backyard to provide more privacy and outdoor seating area. It also gave me time to recharge and revector so that I can optimize my life. But now I’m ready and raring to hit the market again! More data to come, hopefully verifying my predictions!

Table 4. Actual AirBnB data for 2018 and 2019.

None of this is Rocket Science, I’m sure plenty of you out there use similar tools, probably prettier and fancier, please make suggestions and critiques if you have them! This is my first post, please let me know if you have questions, comments, or suggestions for the future! 

P.S. I know my tables are janky, if you would like the spreadsheet, just reach out to me on BP.

25
Topic locked
358 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

I keep it even simpler.  My minimal rental is one week.  I don't fool around with a daily rate.  Most of my tenants stay a month or two, they are refinery contractors.

My cleaning lady does the work for free.

6
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Tremonton, UT · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @William McAdams Lenoir, I like the engineering and optimization approach. I'm a Mechanical engineer working in, well, rocket science. Haha. I've been meaning to make a similar spreadsheet for my AirBnB, but I might just take your and give it a go! I'll message you about that.

    Again, great work!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Nice analysis @William M., understanding the numbers in such detail and with such passion can only help you grow as investor!  

    Best of luck on your future STR acquisitions!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I keep it even simpler.  My minimal rental is one week.  I don't fool around with a daily rate.  Most of my tenants stay a month or two, they are refinery contractors.

    My cleaning lady does the work for free.

    6
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Bryce Bender thanks dude! Yeah be more than happy to share with a fellow Rocket Scientist!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Jon Crosby thanks for the support!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Paul Sandhu sounds like a superb set up. (Head nod of respect)

    0
    Topic locked
  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y

    Numbers are nice, but I am much more interested in optimizing the facets of the business, automating, best practices, keeping costs low, getting guests longterm in the door and converting to direct book, creating stunning spaces, dealing with risk, etc. 

    I don't think playing with a spreadsheet would change anything in my approach. It is more reactive than proactive. Much better to become expert in all facets of running a VR, trying to scale up over time, etc

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks, I also have a spreadsheet to analyze revenue potential, thanks for the tip of how to approximate a daily rate. Your analysis showed that you could be increasing your rates, and also helps you have the confidence that you are making the right decisions between STR and LTR tenants. Great job!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Jennifer Creager yeah exactly! That's what I was hoping to do at least! Thanks for the positive input. And I am totally going to start using STR and LTR, get tired saying AirBnB and Long-Term Rental all the time...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · IN · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    This is great! For visual folks like me, there’s nothing like a good spreadsheet to help make sense of things. Would love to have a copy if you’re willing to share. Thanks!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 266 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    @William M. I like your detailed approach to pricing your STR. How do you approach dynamic pricing? Meaning, adjusting the nightly price to account for seasonality or major events in your locale?

     Also, have you taken a look at any dynamic pricing services?  I haven't used any myself, however I've seen multiple examples of users that claim a sizable increase in revenue after employing a dynamic pricing software solution.

     Keep the updates coming!

    -Andrew

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Andrew K.:

    @William M. I like your detailed approach to pricing your STR. How do you approach dynamic pricing? Meaning, adjusting the nightly price to account for seasonality or major events in your locale?

     Also, have you taken a look at any dynamic pricing services?  I haven't used any myself, however I've seen multiple examples of users that claim a sizable increase in revenue after employing a dynamic pricing software solution.

     Keep the updates coming!

    -Andrew

     The short answer is I rely on the "Smart Pricing" tool on AirBnB with bounds of $100-$400/night (currently). Those bounds can change based on competition/seasons, which to fully answer that question will require more actual stays data. Right now I have a total of 8 months of AirBnB data, (thanks to a 6mo deployment) so not enough to get a full picture of the seasons. What type of Smart Pricing tools or Dynamic Pricing tools have you heard of or would recommend?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2011 · 266 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    @William M. I haven't used any of these tools yet, only having recently begun looking in to them.  I did see that as a BP Pro member you get a deal on AirDNA--a cool tool with tons of analytics. Check out the perks section for more details.

      A few pricing tools I've come across; BeyondPricing and PriceLabs. There are a bunch of others out there too.  Most of the tools seem to charge a nominal fee, so might be good to test a few.

      There are also some great tips on pricing in BP podcast 229 with Zeona McIntyre: https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/biggerpockets-podcast-229early-retirement-short-term-rental-properties-zeona-mcintyre/

     Hope that helps.

    -Andrew 

    1
    Topic locked
  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y
    If you look at other forums about short term rental, you'll find that Smart Pricing from Airbnb is considered a crappy way to price. Things like unrealistically low prices and other problems. It is not really Dynamic pricing, but many others consider is something that favors Airbnb Revenue

    Originally posted by @William M.:

     The short answer is I rely on the "Smart Pricing" tool on AirBnB with bounds of $100-$400/night (currently). Those bounds can change based on competition/seasons, which to fully answer that question will require more actual stays data. Right now I have a total of 8 months of AirBnB data, (thanks to a 6mo deployment) so not enough to get a full picture of the seasons. What type of Smart Pricing tools or Dynamic Pricing tools have you heard of or would recommend?

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Great stuff William.  Would you mind sharing your spreadsheet ? 

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Adirondack, NY · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    Beautifully crafted and articulated. I would very much like to take a look. 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Perham, MN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Great explanation of your spreadsheet and how you go about determining the best route. I'm a fellow engineer as well and am looking at getting into some STR's. I would be interested in your spreadsheet as well.

    One question though, why did you have so many fewer nights of rentals in 2019?  Was it due to your price increases or did you just limit availability?  

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Kyle Kaldor I had fewer 2019 booked nights because I only had it listed for 3 months versus the 5 months in 2018. I rented it out to a couple guys as roommates for two months. Got it back up now, full time, have 14 nights booked in July for $1400.

    @Lynette D Nickleberry Shoot me your email and I'll send it to you!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    UPDATE (September 2019):

    Table 5. Actual Data for full time STR June-September 2019 and projected earnings with current reservations.

    So my predictions were conservative, which is great! I am happy that I made the decision to AirBnB full time. Some struggles I’m facing include out sourcing Cleaning at a price point that doesn’t eat all my profits. As you can see the more bookings I get, the more cleaning’s I need to have. I have been cleaning mostly myself, but I did try to work with a local small cleaning business. Long story short, they were unable to provide the right type of cleaning service (they messed up bed sheets, couldn’t do laundry efficiently, and were too expensive). The current set up is great for me, since I can stop by the house after work and clean it a bit at a time and do laundry at two different houses. So I will continue to do that until December, but following my transition from Active Duty to the Civilian world, I will move the house into a LTR situation since it will be more easily managed by a local property management company.

    Other lessons learned with the STR though: get the property on VRBO, HomeAway, and AirBnB to catch more travelers; have a 2-night minimum but set up a "Seasonal Requirement" to allow for a one night minimum to fill in the gaps; systematize responses/reviews to take more work off your plate (you can get requests to book at anytime and it helps to have these at the ready so you can keep getting 5 stars for your communication rankings!). Also, I had to cancel on a group back in April so that my roommates could move in. At the time it made sense to have them paying me $1200/mo while I was living there for 2 months, rather than a single weekend with $200 attached to it. Unfortunately this took away my ability to be a "Super Host" for a whole YEAR! I'm devastated because you don't show up on searches that filter out non-superhosts, takes away a lot of decent travelers. Luckily, in my area I get enough traffic to cover it.

    Will re-update in December when I call it quits! Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Hi @William M., 

    These charts are great! Thank you very much for sharing. It seems like you are crushing it. 

    I was curious to see about the cleaning service - have you ever tried creating your own? It sounds like, by the way you explain it, there are no stellar cleaning companies where you are. If you hired just one person full-time but teamed up with other hosts in your area to pay the cost, you could probably benefit greatly. This also means you training them to clean to your own standards, not the cleaning company's standards - so things are done how you want. 

    Just some food for thought. I have heard of other hosts doing this and they ended up making some killer profits. Of course it adds on more work to your plate at the beginning but once you automated it entirely, it could be a double whammy for you (best cleaner and more passive income). 

    Thanks for updating us on your airbnb journey! 

    Best of luck! 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    Hey @Gina DiMasi I totally would if I was staying in the local area longer than 3months! Definitely an opportunity that I have been encouraging my Lieutenant's to take advantage of! Starting in December, I will be working for Private Industry and living with my Fiance, so my main goal is getting a Job post Air Force. 

    I actually talked with my future Property Management company about that very same thing. They have been kicking around the idea of getting into STR but they recognize they will need full time in-house cleaning staff. I'm providing all my data to them so the can see if it will be a viable option.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @William M. Oh wow that is awesome! That's perfect that you already have the ball rolling. Keep up the great work and best of luck! 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @William McAdams Lenoir Your approach is very much the way I'd like to build out modeling for my first property. Would love to play around with your breakdown if you are willing to share!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    6y

    UPDATE (October 22, 2019):

    Ok probably the last update! I have all but locked in my final two months of STR for my house, been a great learning experience the last 6 months! I feel very confident that I can make this system work at my next location. Five key take-a-ways:

    1. Find what I call the "Golden Zone" for your area/house. Aim to get into that golden zone every month, and if you do, you're golden! For me that was between 15-20 nights booked, but the most I got in one month was 18 nights. My average cleaning costs were $167/mo, but most of the time I cleaned it myself and it took 3-4hrs to do – this is the biggest expense for STR owners to overcome to make it work. If you're looking for a side hustle then cleaning your own place, isn't a bad option at all ($40/hr labor) and you're making around 3x on a STR set up than you would a LTR set up.

    Table 6. “Golden Zone” of days occupied, objective for monthly targets.

    Table 6. Actual Data for full time STR June-December 2019 and projected earnings with current reservations.

    1. To increase your nights booked, set M-Wed as single night minimums and drop the prices to bring down your average nightly rate. This will help you get into the Golden Zone if you typically only have weekend bookings. HOWEVER, make sure you turn this setting off for holidays! I’ve got a guy blocking my Thanksgiving holiday because he booked when I forgot to set the holiday week to two-night minimums.
    2. Put your STR on VRBO/HomeAway and AirBnB to get those people who use other forms of booking.
    3. Avoid cancelling on someone at all costs! I lost my Super Host status even though I requested that the guests cancel if they were able to get another place and I would reimburse them in full. There really should be a better way to avoid this, but right now just leave your guests be and don’t make the same mistakes I made!
    4. Read other AirBnB tips! There were a lot of good ideas I got off of Pinterest and Vacation rental owner blogs that helped me set my place up to be an optimal STR. There are too many tips to put in this post and they do a better job of explaining their situation than I could, so I'll leave them to it. Just google for AirBnB owner tips or look on Pinterest for articles and you'll spend many a happy hour learning how to make the best STR experience for your guests!

    I wish you all good luck in your STR adventures! I'm happy to have done it for the last 6 months and gotten over a year of LTR revenue out of it!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Fantastic analysis- very helpful.   I have one Airbnb in a vacation location and am about to invest in my second in Houston.   

    0
    Topic locked