Destin FL Luxury STR Advice

Destin FL Luxury STR Advice

Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 335 posts · 470 votes

I recently vacationed in Destin with another family and returned to the same VRBO rental we stayed in the year before.  Destiny East neighborhood if you're familiar.  Our families are considering purchasing a luxury rental that mirrors what we stayed in.  5br/5ba, very unique pool, outdoor bar, 2 blocks from the beach, 15 years or less old, granite, stainless, etc etc.  

We have a budget of $1.6M and are looking for a 3% COC, 6% NOI. With debt we'd use to finance the purchase, I'm estimating we'd have 10% of gross rents left over after debt service, setting aside for reserves/cap ex to reach those returns.

We made the owner of the property we stayed at an offer, but he's not going to sell cause he has a cash machine.  The property rents for $1K a night in peak season and rents for 40 weeks a year, grossing almost $200K annually.  He paid cash for $1.1M.

Can we find anything in this stage of the market cycle that will meet our goals?  We are only considering properties that jump off the page when you see the VRBO listing.  

0Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
6y

@Paul Shannon - You can definitely meet those terms in the Destin market.  Destiny East is a great community right new one of my favorite beach spots with the kiddos.  I have a 5 Bedroom property in Crystal Beach and another condo in Fort Walton Beach, and I've help plenty other investors find solid deals. I'd be curious to see that owner's actual return because we charge about $1K/night peak season as well, but we only did $73K last year... lol   Destiny East is definitely in a better location -- and we paid much less ($565K).  

Best of luck!!!

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    These requirements can definitely be met in this market. There are several properties that come to mind offhand that would work! For the most part, properties at that price point don't move as quickly so you have time to analyze properly!

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Totally doable. I’ve got one they I’m not sure if I’d call luxury but it meets most of your criteria. 2 blocks from beach. Brand new custom kitchen. 15 years old. New floors. New master bath. We rehabbed it. Rents for 500-700 per night. And yes I financed it with 10% down. 

  • Destin, FL · Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    I'm new here and new to this 'game' but have lived in Destin for 15+ years. I'd be interested in hearing more of the STR vs LTR strategies; i'm not ready to play in the 1M arena just yet, but 500K sure -- been looking at multifam around for that price range, but now you have me thinking of maybe STR instead becuase there are certainly A TON of options vs MF.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    6y

    @Paul Shannon - You can definitely meet those terms in the Destin market.  Destiny East is a great community right new one of my favorite beach spots with the kiddos.  I have a 5 Bedroom property in Crystal Beach and another condo in Fort Walton Beach, and I've help plenty other investors find solid deals. I'd be curious to see that owner's actual return because we charge about $1K/night peak season as well, but we only did $73K last year... lol   Destiny East is definitely in a better location -- and we paid much less ($565K).  

    Best of luck!!!

  • Destin, FL · Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Matt "Roar" Gardner

    Destiny East is in a CBRA zone, correct?

  • Edmond, OK · Member since 2012 · 456 posts · 270 votes
    6y

    @Paul Shannon

    Is there a possibility that future ordinances would regulate the ability to STR residential houses, similar to regulations in other Florida towns?

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    6y

    @Chris Rowland - Nailed it! Destiny East (red circle area) is solidly in the CBRA zone.  I prefer to invest in the Villages of Crystal Beach (blue circle).  For those who don't know, a CBRA ("Cobra") zone was a failed attempt by the government to regulate development by not subsidizing flood insurance in specified CBRA Zones... Definitely didn't work.  It's really not a factor if you don't require (and don't pay for) flood insurance, which I don't have in the Villages of Crystal Beach.  If you want/need flood insurance in a CBRA zone, it's just another large expense to account for. 

  • Destin, FL · Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Matt "Roar" Gardner

    Yep actually looked at one of those back in 2012 or so when they were all around 185-220 if I recall!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    6y

    Shoulda coulda woulda...  Luckily, they still cash flow even at their current price points!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    3% COC return is a very low return. This should be easily attainable.

    Maybe invest elsewhere that can get you a higher return and just keep renting the beach house?

  • Rental Property Investor · Sherman, TX · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @John Underwood I agree. 3% is very low. I think you can dive deep and find some better deals around the area with better returns. STRs done right are cash cows!

  • Destin, FL · Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Matt "Roar" Gardner

    Additionally, if you (or your client) are using a VA loan you're basically out of luck in those zones. Keep looking :(

  • Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 335 posts · 470 votes
    6y

    @Chris Rowland

    @Matt "Roar" Gardner

    Matt/Chris - appreciate the great info.  I was able to track down this map off the fws.gov site specific to Destin - https://www.fws.gov/cbra/maps/... 

    Does this mean that basically you are self-insuring if you are in a CBRS zone?  No flood insurance available at all?  Sounds way too risky for me.  

    A lot of the most upscale homes in Destin are in these CBRS areas. 

    I'll have to check out Crystal Beach village. 

    If you are in an insurable zone, what does a typical FEMA policy cost (obviously depends on the home, but ballpark)?

  • Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 335 posts · 470 votes
    6y

    @John Underwood

    @Alec Hilliard

    Agree with you guys. I'm used to earning much better returns on B/C Class Midwest BRRRR properties. My intent with Destin is to get into an A Class property. Thinking it won't cash flow much, but has long-term appreciation prospects that my current portfolio lags in. I'm trying to find a "rental" that could also be sold to an owner occupant or second home down the road, not just to another investor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2016 · 335 posts · 470 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jai Reddy:

    @Paul Shannon

    Is there a possibility that future ordinances would regulate the ability to STR residential houses, similar to regulations in other Florida towns?

    Yes, there's always that risk. Its a big reason I haven't invested in STRs yet. Florida government has been battling this issue out for a while. They seem to be interested in regulating versus banning, which I think is a good thing long-term for sustainability of the STR industry.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    6y

    Paul, there's a reason that so much development is within the cobra zones. A lot of those areas don't require flood insurance (i.e. flood zone X).  I'll post a picture - I'm on the road right now, so hopefully it comes across on my phone.  

    As far as insurance costs, that does vary. I believe we're paying around $2800/yr for my VCB house that we got for $565K. That doesn't include flood insurance. I believe it was an extra $700/year if we wanted to add it (it's been almost two years since I looked at that).  I was helping another client purchase a home on Hutchinson St recently ($850K price point and in a CBRA Zone), and he was being quoted between $4.5-6K/year for insurance. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    6y

    @Chris Rowland - Correct on the VA Loan Piece. You can always jump over to VCB for that, or I also just helped a client buy in 125 Crystal Beach Dr with a VA loan. I think there's some solid potential in that community as well!

  • Rental Property Investor · Sherman, TX · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @Paul Shannon that makes sense man! 🙂🙂

    Keep up the good work and let us know how everything goes!

  • Destin, FL · Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matt "Roar" Gardner:

    @Chris Rowland - Correct on the VA Loan Piece. You can always jump over to VCB for that, or I also just helped a client buy in 125 Crystal Beach Dr with a VA loan. I think there's some solid potential in that community as well!

    Matt, guess i was confused at initial look say they get 10% on short term on average; has to be higher than that -- at glance 50K/yr on a 500K home sounds good until you factor in the ridiculous HOA fees around here (for the beach condos and others in general).

    thx

  • Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    If you're looking for appreciation you should consider South Florida. Fort Lauderdale has solid regulations in place that make investing in STR's safe. It's a more cosmopolitan city with more draw than just the beach. You also have essentially year-round demand so income is solid. You then have the appreciation, which is the main reason I invested.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    6y

    @Chris Rowland - You should be hitting more than just 10% at VCB. For the 4 bedroom units, I would say the base expectation is $60K. For the 5 bedroom properties, between $70-80K. For the 6 bedroom properties, $80K+. Some of my friends have hit $80K w/ a 4 bedroom and even $105K with a 6 bedroom. Potential ROI is still pretty solid in the area.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    I'm anticipating over 100k first 12 months in my 4 bedroom. No HOA.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 452 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl - You can definitely hit $100K -- I just typically send more conservative numbers to my clients to do their own underwriting. Luke Ave in Destin is a great spot with solid houses and no HOA, for sure! I"m excited to see you guys crush it :)

  • Destin, FL · Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matt "Roar" Gardner:
    Matt, I'm assming nothing in there qualifies for a VA loan, correct? I know i have to live there a year before it can be rented but VA can be picky.  Most are fine if not in CBRA but not everything as far as condos.  

    @Chris Rowland - You should be hitting more than just 10% at VCB. For the 4 bedroom units, I would say the base expectation is $60K. For the 5 bedroom properties, between $70-80K. For the 6 bedroom properties, $80K+. Some of my friends have hit $80K w/ a 4 bedroom and even $105K with a 6 bedroom. Potential ROI is still pretty solid in the area.

  • Destin, FL · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    @Paul Shannon a lot of investors do also love Crystal Beach as most of the homes in that area do not have an HOA. Rentals are very strong in both Crystal Beach and all of the Destiny neighborhoods. Also, be careful that you understand what a rent by owner means by what they grossed. Many of them give you the reservation total they collected which includes taxes, pdp fees, travel agency fees, credit card fees, housekeeping charges, etc. Feel free to let me know if you want to see a rental revenue analysis on any address and then what your rental related expenses would look like. Then partner with a great agent like @Matt "Roar" Gardner to get a clear picture of ownership and HOA costs to have all the data you need to ensure you aren't missing anything in calculating your return.

    @Matt "Roar" Gardnerundefined

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.