Rental Property Investor · Kitsap county Washington · Member since 2017 · 117 posts · 39 votes
I have a fourplex in Michigan that has a common room that is set up to serve as a laundry for the 16 total adjacent units. Very small rural town.
I had never looked up the numbers for laundry. I was set on transforming this common room into a small efficiency apartment or fifth unit. Adding in unit laundry to each unit.
You have to watch out for zoning codes. Where I am, getting up zoning approval from 4 to 5 not easy, and requires a public hearing.
The other problem is financing. Up to 4 units, you can obtain a conventional 30 year residential mortgage. Five and up you're in commercial territory with higher rates, shorter terms.
Also, I owned condo rentals, and the HOA provide several laundry rooms in the complex, and they forbid washers in individual units. People tend to be careless, and tenant had leaks from the unit above surreptitiously using a washer.
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
What is the cost to add 16 washers and dryers? If one breaks, that unit is down. I'd just leave things as is. If 1 washer breaks, the people can use another one.
What is the cost to add 16 washers and dryers? If one breaks, that unit is down. I'd just leave things as is. If 1 washer breaks, the people can use another one.
You have to watch out for zoning codes. Where I am, getting up zoning approval from 4 to 5 not easy, and requires a public hearing.
The other problem is financing. Up to 4 units, you can obtain a conventional 30 year residential mortgage. Five and up you're in commercial territory with higher rates, shorter terms.
Also, I owned condo rentals, and the HOA provide several laundry rooms in the complex, and they forbid washers in individual units. People tend to be careless, and tenant had leaks from the unit above surreptitiously using a washer.
Look at the big picture. You are not a laundromat, you provide housing with amenities.
It was built with this laundry room to service the units, I'm only considering the reason they did that must have been good. Putting it back in a service is 2600 maybe 1,300 a month. looks like a good use of the space to me.
it's already commercially zoned and would be it's intended purpose.
There are companies that will supply coin-operated washers & dryers, service them and split the funds with you.
One of my landlords in college did that. Pay washer/dryer in each individual unit. He had about 500 units. Henry Fisher, Carbondale Illinois. It took about a month until someone showed us a trick. He drilled 2 holes in the back of the coin mechanisms and then bent a coat hanger a certain way to trip the coin dropping lever to give a credit to the appliance. 6 months later a key was floating around to unlock the coin boxes. I used the coat hanger and a piece of gum to fish out all the quarters to buy beer.