Blue Ridge STR investment

Blue Ridge STR investment

Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes

Anyone investing in the Elijay/ Blue Ridge, GA area willing to share their experience. How are your vacation rental(s) performing (occupancy, average nightly rate) ? We love the area, but are not sure how the occupancy and return compares to other mountain markets. We were originally considering the smoky mountains but it seems the prices are through the roof there right now! 

5Reply
219 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael CravenPro Member
Investor · Springfield, OH · Member since 2017 · 202 posts · 150 votes
5y

Hey @Hanan K. we are actually closing on our first STR in Blue Ridge (4Bed/3Bath) this week. Prices have definitely gone up even just from the time we started looking to the time we got this one under contract (a few months), which is crazy, but the numbers still worked. My partner owns a couple in the Smoky mountains and they obviously perform very well, but we do anticipate that the BR cabin will do quite well, too. I'd be happy to chat more about it with you!

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Flowery Branch, GA · Member since 2019 · 413 posts · 412 votes
    5y

    Prices are through the roof everywhere. I have 2 in Pigeon Forge and despite rising prices I still project 20%+ CoC returns on many cabins that I've analyzed this year, and that is with a 20 to 25% down payment. Obviously it is always deal specific so do your due diligence.

    One of my good friends has a cabin in Ellijay and is loving it. He is around 80% occupancy for the year on a 2/2. Prices in Ellijay and Blue Ridge are lower than the Smokies but rates are slightly lower as well from what I’ve seen. Once again it is all deal specific. 

  • Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Joshua

    @Joshua Strickland Thank you for the input! I would agree from what I've seen! Glad to know he is at 80% occupancy on a 2/2. That is very helpful :) 

  • Michael CravenPro Member
    Investor · Springfield, OH · Member since 2017 · 202 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    Hey @Hanan K. we are actually closing on our first STR in Blue Ridge (4Bed/3Bath) this week. Prices have definitely gone up even just from the time we started looking to the time we got this one under contract (a few months), which is crazy, but the numbers still worked. My partner owns a couple in the Smoky mountains and they obviously perform very well, but we do anticipate that the BR cabin will do quite well, too. I'd be happy to chat more about it with you!

  • Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Michael Craven Congratulations! We put an offer on a 3/3 in blue ridge this week. Offered 80K over with limited contingencies and were beat! The market is definitely hot. My question for you is how did you analyze your property? How were you able to establish the average daily rate and expected occupancy. When I look at calendars in Elijay, they look sparse. Blue Ridge definitely seems to be more booked but even with blue ridge, it seems it's only a month to six weeks out. Hard to gage how the market is performing. We have a cabin in Tahoe and a VR in Napa Valley. Both do amazing but we are moving to North Atlanta next month and I'm looking for VRs in that area. Thank you for your input!

  • Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Michael Craven One more question, do you have a realtor in the area that you recommend?

  • Investor · Atlanta GA, USA · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    @Hanan K. I recommend Leslie Mann. I am having trouble breaking into the market, too, but she’s been amazing help!

  • Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Denning Thanks for the recommendation!

  • Michael CravenPro Member
    Investor · Springfield, OH · Member since 2017 · 202 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    @Hanan K. We used Yok Re and he is FANTASTIC. Super helpful and has a lot of insight into the area.

    And as far as analyzing the occupancy and average rates, have you checked out the Short Term Shops blog that has the 2019 and 2020 data for Blue Ridge and Ellijay?

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Hanan K. We also work with Yok! About to my live with our first (5/3 in Morganton) and under contract for a new build in Epworth. He’s got analysis he can share with you and a great team behind him - The Short Term Shop.

  • Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Emeline Hunter Thank you! Can you send me a phone number? I tried messaging him through the short term shop Facebook group but haven't heard back!

  • Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Michael Craven Thanks for the recommendation. Trying to reach Yok Re!

  • Rental Property Investor · Blue Ridge, GA · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    I live and invest in Blue Ridge GA. It’s a great short term market and if you find the right deal also does good for long term. Purchase prices are really high here though compared to neighboring county’s. I also invest in Murphy NC it’s just up the road and a better price point. I would be interested in in talking to Yok RE if anyone has the contact info.

  • Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Davenport:

    I live and invest in Blue Ridge GA. It’s a great short term market and if you find the right deal also does good for long term. Purchase prices are really high here though compared to neighboring county’s. I also invest in Murphy NC it’s just up the road and a better price point. I would be interested in in talking to Yok RE if anyone has the contact info.

    I just hunted him down! https://www.facebook.com/north...

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Hanan K. Sure I’ll DM you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @John Davenport Sent you a DM!

  • Rental Property Investor · Blue Ridge, GA · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Emeline Hunter thank you!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Hi, how is the blue ridge STR doing? I read your post. Im planning to 1031 exchange and pick a STR in blue ridge? Is it profittable? Are there enought resources to find a cleaner or Prop manager? Are there lots of regulation restrictions in Blue ridge? How is the occupancy rate? I am trying to start my STR in Ble Ridge, any input is appreciated. Thanks. Sally

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Hanan K.

    Hello , just wondering did you end up buying in blue ridge ?

  • Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Shahid Elahi Yes! I did. We just opened our doors last week. So it’s too early to tell how it will do but so far it’s doing ok. Not great but ok. I recommend getting something smaller and marketing to one to to couples or a small family. The rentals under 200/night do a lot better in this area. I think the market is over saturated with 3-4 bedroom places IMO.  You have to find a way to stand apart for sure. We also bought in the smokies and That one is killing it!

  • Investor · UT · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Hanan K. Congratulations on your cabins! I'm also looking at BR vs. Smokies. It looks like you just got into these markets just 2 months ago! I have been following this market and from what I have read, in the Smokies you have to bid way over asking and at times the appraised value comes in less than asking. What tips can you share on how to land the deal so quickly and what would you say are the difference with these 2 markets?

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Hanan K.

    Congratulations, awesome . I am also interested in STR in blue ridge and would love to follow and learn from experience.

    If you don’t mind answering few questions for me

    Did you use the realtor ?

    Also are using the management company ?

    Are you local or out of state investor .

    I would really appreciate your response.

    Thsnks

  • Investor · GA · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Hanan K.  Congrats on your cabins! If you need any help with prices and occupancy, we can help!

    Do you have access to AirDNA? We can help you find realistic expectations for the STRs. We own a couple STRs and own a management company for them as well. We help friends and family and cohost some as well. If you want to chat just let me know - and anyone else here having questions. Would love to run some and help design them as you buy them ;)

    Check us out at CherokeeRoseHomes.com

    Thanks,

    Kyle

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Hanan K.

    I am a first time STR buyer, and looking to invest in Blue Ridge, can you please let me know how has it been so far and provide more info on your STR, is it ok if I DM you directly.

    Thanks

    Mohan




  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Hanan K.:

    @Shahid Elahi Yes! I did. We just opened our doors last week. So it’s too early to tell how it will do but so far it’s doing ok. Not great but ok. I recommend getting something smaller and marketing to one to to couples or a small family. The rentals under 200/night do a lot better in this area. I think the market is over saturated with 3-4 bedroom places IMO.  You have to find a way to stand apart for sure. We also bought in the smokies and That one is killing it!

    Do you think it is just starting slow because it is toward the end of summer? Just curious what you think now? I'm debating btw the two areas that you mention to jump into the STR game? Thanks!

  • Investor · Greater NY Area. · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 31 votes
    4y
    I sent you both a message! Would love to hear more about your experience. I am investor looking into this area as well. @Hanah K I'd be happy to share a few of the resources I've been using to estimate revenue!

    Originally posted by @Michael Craven:

    Hey @Hanan K. we are actually closing on our first STR in Blue Ridge (4Bed/3Bath) this week. Prices have definitely gone up even just from the time we started looking to the time we got this one under contract (a few months), which is crazy, but the numbers still worked. My partner owns a couple in the Smoky mountains and they obviously perform very well, but we do anticipate that the BR cabin will do quite well, too. I'd be happy to chat more about it with you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.