Tax liens property alabama

Tax liens property alabama

Member since 2018 路 3 posts 路 0 votes

I wanted to start investing in tax liens property but i dont know where to start and how to proceed with the legal matters. Ive found a tax lien investing company company calles Sanburn holdings but i dont know anyone who have used them before. Any thoughts?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker 路 Tuscaloosa, AL 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
6y

@Idylla Realubit, I do not know them. I DO KNOW you better know as much about the subject as any investor you link up with, because there are a lot of people out there saying they are experts when they are not.  You can't tell the goods ones from the bad ones without knowing the subject yourself. And, someone saying they've been through my class or bought my book is not enough.  How much algebra do you remember from school, despite having taken the class?

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ParkerBusiness Member
    Realtor, Contractor, Property Manager 路 Montgomery AL and Kowaliga, AL 路 Member since 2017 路 669 posts 路 536 votes
    6y

    Contact @Denise Evans she literally wrote the book that has all the info you need.

    MGM Property Pros LLC
    View Page
  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker 路 Tuscaloosa, AL 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Idylla Realubit, I do not know them. I DO KNOW you better know as much about the subject as any investor you link up with, because there are a lot of people out there saying they are experts when they are not.  You can't tell the goods ones from the bad ones without knowing the subject yourself. And, someone saying they've been through my class or bought my book is not enough.  How much algebra do you remember from school, despite having taken the class?

  • Specialist 路 Birmingham, AL 路 Member since 2017 路 88 posts 路 34 votes
    6y

    Hi @Idylla Realubit. I buy and sell tax liens here in Alabama regularly. I would be happy to help you.

    Johnathan

  • Investor 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    @Johnathan Williams hi! I've recently started purchasing tax liens in Alabama, and I was wondering am I able to legally rent the properties out. Also I know there is the 3 year redemption period, however If I purchased a tax lien for back taxes in 2016 would the county still send me a tax lien certificate, or would the state send me the tax deed since it's past the 3 year redemption period. Thanks in advance!

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker 路 Tuscaloosa, AL 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Brittany Catlin, if you take possession legally, you can rent out a tax certificate property.  I have several blog articles explaining possession, redemption, and related issues. Please read those, and then I'll be happy to answer more specific questions.  

    If you buy a property off the state inventory that went through auction in 2016, you will receive a tax deed. That does not mean all redemption rights are over. They are not.

  • Investor 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    @Denise Evans thank You! I've found your blogs, great information! I'm sure I will have a few more questions in the near future 馃檪

  • Victorville, CA 路 Member since 2019 路 42 posts 路 20 votes
    6y

    @Denise Evans good morning. I'm also wanting to buy tax liens in Alabama. Where can I find your blogs please?

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker 路 Tuscaloosa, AL 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Tyrone, they are on BiggerPockets and on my website. Some of the BP ones are below. I also have a youtube channel

    post about Alabama tax sale redemption rights: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/70/topics/181968-alabama-tax-sale-redemption-rights

    Mandatory Binding Arbitration article: https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/6547/68021-alabama-tax-sale-investors-and-improvements-protect-your-rights

  • Victorville, CA 路 Member since 2019 路 42 posts 路 20 votes
    6y

    Ok thank you! I will check them out.

  • IL 路 Member since 2019 路 27 posts 路 10 votes
    4y

    @Johnathan Williams - Do you have an attorney in Alabama that you work with on going to deed on your tax liens? I鈥檓 not familiar with Alabama rules/processes. We invest in tax liens in Chicago area.

  • IL 路 Member since 2019 路 27 posts 路 10 votes
    4y

    @Denise Evans - I鈥檓 trying to build my team in Alabama to invest in tax liens. Do you know of any good attorneys? I鈥檓 likely going to focus in East Alabama (Macon, Lee and Russell counties).

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Anita Moore-Bohannon:

    @Johnathan Williams - Do you have an attorney in Alabama that you work with on going to deed on your tax liens? I鈥檓 not familiar with Alabama rules/processes. We invest in tax liens in Chicago area.

     Have you seen how hard it is to aquire tax properties in Ala? The red tape? The 3 years of tax liens on one property? Alabama is not one of the best states to acquire properties. 

    I'm from Alabama also.

    I'm getting 4 houses after only 12 months from last year's tax sale in SC.

    I get if you live in Alabama and don't want to drive to where there are better opportunities.

  • Investor 路 Covington, LA 路 Member since 2012 路 517 posts 路 317 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Anita Moore-Bohannon:

    @Denise Evans - I鈥檓 trying to build my team in Alabama to invest in tax liens. Do you know of any good attorneys? I鈥檓 likely going to focus in East Alabama (Macon, Lee and Russell counties).

     Denise Evans or google "Greg Stanley attorney Alabama" both are attorneys in Alabama that handle tax sale properties and education. About 1/2 of the counties in Alabama handle tax liens completely different from the other half. It's like two separate states in one. 


  • IL 路 Member since 2019 路 27 posts 路 10 votes
    4y

    @Will Sifert - Thank you.

  • IL 路 Member since 2019 路 27 posts 路 10 votes
    4y

    @John Underwood - thanks John. I appreciate the insight about South Carolina. Any good websites/articles you can direct me to on understanding the process in SC.

  • Investor 路 Covington, LA 路 Member since 2012 路 517 posts 路 317 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:
    Originally posted by @Anita Moore-Bohannon:

    @Johnathan Williams - Do you have an attorney in Alabama that you work with on going to deed on your tax liens? I鈥檓 not familiar with Alabama rules/processes. We invest in tax liens in Chicago area.

     Have you seen how hard it is to aquire tax properties in Ala? The red tape? The 3 years of tax liens on one property? Alabama is not one of the best states to acquire properties. 

    I'm from Alabama also.

    I'm getting 4 houses after only 12 months from last year's tax sale in SC.

    I get if you live in Alabama and don't want to drive to where there are better opportunities.

     John you make it tempting to travel to SC for tax lien sales. I believe you said they are all in person. How many counties do you bid at ?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Will Sifert:
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:
    Originally posted by @Anita Moore-Bohannon:

    @Johnathan Williams - Do you have an attorney in Alabama that you work with on going to deed on your tax liens? I鈥檓 not familiar with Alabama rules/processes. We invest in tax liens in Chicago area.

     Have you seen how hard it is to aquire tax properties in Ala? The red tape? The 3 years of tax liens on one property? Alabama is not one of the best states to acquire properties. 

    I'm from Alabama also.

    I'm getting 4 houses after only 12 months from last year's tax sale in SC.

    I get if you live in Alabama and don't want to drive to where there are better opportunities.

     John you make it tempting to travel to SC for tax lien sales. I believe you said they are all in person. How many counties do you bid at ?

     2 or 3 at most typically. Since I get new houses every year, I like for them to be close by so that they are easy to self manage with my existing contractors.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Anita Moore-Bohannon:

    @John Underwood - thanks John. I appreciate the insight about South Carolina. Any good websites/articles you can direct me to on understanding the process in SC.

    Check one of the counties websites. Most have a good overview there.

  • Canada 路 Member since 2017 路 49 posts 路 5 votes
    4y

    @Johnathan Williams  Just sent you a DM....

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker 路 Tuscaloosa, AL 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    4y

    Alabama tax certificate (and the newer tax lien) investing is not for the uninformed, but ALL problems can be circumvented easily and very profitably by the well-informed. The red tape is minor and can be handled yourself, without lawyers, with advance planning.  I have a list of attorneys if anyone wants it, but it's usually not necessary.  The newer tax lien auction procedure is now being followed by a  majority of Alabama counties and is very straightforward. There are some things you can do to gain the possession before foreclosure that everybody likes about tax certificate investing, so it can be the best of both worlds. After three years of holding the  lien, you can foreclosure you lien and gain the property unless someone with redemption rights redeems.  Outsiders, third parties, have NO rights to grab the property or bid at auction if you foreclose your lien.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.