How to become a residential property manager in Los Angeles?

3 Replies

Hi BP,

I'm hoping for some advise from my Los Angeles investors and property managers. As I prepare my career in multifam investing, I have decided I want hands-on experience as an on-site residential property manager. Does anyone have advise or insight on how to obtain this type of position in the LA area?

I have experience in property management of Class A commercial/retail/residential buildings, but I was always off-site for the residential properties. Is it best to approach the property management companies or owners directly? Is certification necessary?

Is anyone currently working as an on-site property manager in Los Angeles/Santa Monica/Brentwood/Palisades/Venice/Marina del Rey/Malibu/etc?

Thank you all!
Amy

@Amy Wunderlich Hi Amy.  Depending on the owner of the apartment building and the number of units, they hire on-site residential manager with credentials or sometimes not.  We own several residential buildings with an on-site manager that has no credentials or certificates.  It is best to approach the owner (if you can get in touch) as finding a property management company will just be like getting employed.  Curious as to know what your off-site property management experience is.

Craigslist. @Amy Wunderlich that's how I became manager of a 47 unit building in WeHo. I did it for the same reasons, to get experience before I buy my own multifamily out of state. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.