Airsteam/Tiny Home: GLAMPING Concept in CO???

Airsteam/Tiny Home: GLAMPING Concept in CO???

New to Real Estate · Bay Area / Denver · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Is anyone familiar with Autocamp in California?  Luxury airstream campers and tents located in Sonoma county north of San Francisco. Only a ~90 min drive from city center. Their site took over an old sketchy RV park. They built a GORGEOUS clubhouse pavilion with recepetion, spa bathrooms, and common areas.  These guys (owners) have some serious funding behind them somehow. Check it out for yourself:

https://www.alpinemodern.com/sleep-in-an-airstream-at-autocamp/

This is truly glamping at its finest. I just returned from my first experience there and it was 5 stars on every level except for the fact that the units are all smushed together so it feels a tad crowded.  I see a few other ways in which it could be improved. 

I've been long interested in the growing glamping industry and looking for a way to make entry.  

Interested in this communities thoughts on if a concept like this would work near Denver?

Would you validate the concept and site location by leasing a plot of land and setting up 2-3 campers/cabins for AirBnb?

Investors, is this is model you would consider investing in?

Love to hear anyones thoughts. I live in the bay area, have family in Broomfield, but not so much familiar with Denver area. I do think it's important that the site is under 2 hrs driving from the city where all the millennial glampers live. 

Thank you!

Matthew

2Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 19 votes
8y

This has long been a dream of mine. The issue with doing it in Colorado vs. California is winter. They've got a 12 month season. Ours is about 4.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 134 posts · 61 votes
    8y

    Hey Matt,

    I live in the metro area. Just googled the Auto camp place in California I think its a cool idea. The cost of the location wouldn't be too bad and it looks like you'd be paying around 90-100k a unit. If you could get $150 a night at 80% occupancy that's $3600 a month before expenses. I could see some advantage in this vs traditional building. 

    I would like to see the idea come to life I think it has some potential....Just don't get hit by some of the nasty hail we've been having!

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    This has long been a dream of mine. The issue with doing it in Colorado vs. California is winter. They've got a 12 month season. Ours is about 4.

  • New to Real Estate · Bay Area / Denver · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Thank you for the replies! 

    I still think, if done right, the concept could occupy a full 12-month season in colder regions. As long as the units have solid heating/insulation and few fun activities nearby (snowshoeing, Communal hot tub?!?, etc) - there's unique appeal to a snowy forest staycation.

    Customers would probably need a 4WD vehicle to access the site during these months.

    CA definitely has advantage with their year round weather but I don't think the cold season drastically impacts occupancy... I could be wrong?

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Matt Sanders

    Awesome! We hear that idea all the time, but I've never seen anyone execute it. I imagine there'd be good demand for it. And I agree, I think there's demand for all seasons of glamping. 

    The main thing to figure out (other than logistics of buying and setting everything up) is regulation. Obviously, you're looking outside of cities, but for instance, Colorado Springs' proposed new Airbnb ordinance would prohibit airstreams from being used for Airbnb. What you're talking about is a totally different thing, but I'd want to put in a call to the county planning or development office to see what's allowed and what's not.

    Again, awesome idea. I'd stay there for sure. 

  • Property Manager · CO · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    My husband and I have been talking about doing this forever! I totally think Colorado could support it. We were full time RVers for four years and we've owned a few vintage campers. Currently we are renovating an Airstream. About the winter...we stayed four months during the winter in Breckenridge in our rig and didn’t freeze  to death. There are lots of things you have to do to winterproof trailers but it’s not that difficult especially in lower elevations where it doesn’t get as cold. Google El Cosmico. We went there is 2011 and it was super cool! One of my worries would be the hail in Colorado. It could destroy a fleet of vintage RVs in minutes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    8y

    I think this concept has merit.  Try reserving a campsite here in CO!  I reserve as soon as reservations open and just acknowledge I'm going to have to cancel some and pay the fees rather than try to get a reservation when we want to go.  I've driven through some of the dispersed camping areas and they are packed, too.  So, clearly lots of demand.  

    In a park setting, you might be able to replace heater orifices and convert to central natural gas.  Or perhaps off a common tank rather than the small individual ones.

    I don't get the attraction of Airstreams.  We've looked, but they seem crazy expensive compared to alternatives.  And, having extensively rebuilt our first travel trailer, which was "vintage" when we had it back in the 80's I would not do this with old ones.  I'd choose newer ones and be sure they were rated for continuous use.  Our 2011 Heartland North Trail specifically says in the manual it is not intended for full time use.

    We were whacked bad by the hail in May 2017.  Impact resistant roof - destroyed.  Two cars - severely damaged, one totaled, the other should have been.  The camper did take some damage, but held up well.  It has fiberglass siding and a rubber roof.  All of the plastic on the roof was damaged, except the AC cover.  The front curved fiberglass was damaged.  As it turns out, the curved fronts have very little support behind the fiberglass where the sides and back have plywood behind the fiberglass.  The awning fabric was wrecked, but was surprisingly easy and cheap to replace.

    I'd really consider doing some sort of cabins, though, rather than RVs. Cabins seem to be popular and there aren't a lot of them around.

    I've looked at hotel occupancy numbers for non-ski towns. Don't fool yourself.  You get four good months, some occupancy in the winter (this was specifically in a town with some big winter festivals) and two months (November, April) where you get almost nothing.  The story would be better if you were near a ski resort, though your summer numbers might not be as good.

  • New to Real Estate · Bay Area / Denver · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    The more I think about it, "micro-cabins" are probably the way to go.. or maybe even THOW's (Tiny Homes on Wheels). (Still learning about all the different zoning laws and where the holes are.)  Airstreams probably have more appeal on the West Coast than CO, also I never realized just how friggin' expensive they are! even used and needing rehab... 

    I think I've already validated the demand for the concept, I'm now focusing on networking with REI's and narrowing down the best markets/locations.

    If any one wants to bounce ideas or suggestions, feel free to PM me! 

  • Telluride, CO · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hey Matt,


    We just moved to Ridgway and the western slope seems like it would be the ideal place for a concept like this.  I would probably do about half RV spots and half tiny cabins.  I've got 5+ years experience in the short term vacation rental industry here and would be happy to answer any questions I can.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Matt and Andy. Keep me in the loop. I think micro cabins are the way to go. 

  • Aurora, CO · Member since 2018 · 180 posts · 166 votes
    8y

    To allieviate the "4 months of the year" issue, you might want to look at setting it up and marketing it, as a destination in and of itself.  Take a look at Westgate River Ranch, in Florida.  I had a request from a client for three nights in a Luxe teepee.  $1500.  All the activities were basically 'in house", from fishing to horseback riding, to archery, etc.  

    It would increase the investment, but it would possibly make it a more year round investment.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    My wife & I have recently relocated to Cripple Creek and have thrown around the same basic idea.  We stayed at Mountain View RV resort in Canon City while we were closing on our property and they had a few micro cabins there, all booked while we were there.  It's a great concept that could really take off here if done right.

  • Aspen, CO · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hey all,

    I have been working with a hospitality property manager/investor on some motel renovation projects across the West for the past few months.  The mom and pop motels of the past are great investment opportunities IF you know how to manage the properties correctly and know where to look for value-add opportunities.

    One motel that we have been looking at sparked my interest for an idea very similar to this (airstream park) but my investor client is not interested as he does not see the vision.  It is in the perfect location, has a designation as a hospitality property already and the current improvements only occupy about 25% of the 9-acre lot.  I would love to share the property with anyone directly and discuss what we have discovered in due diligence.  If interested in discussing, drop me a line on a direct message.

    Regardless of that specific property, I do agree that creative hospitality properties will have a place in the investment space moving forward.  It has been eye-opening studying some of these deals in the past few months and it would be my pleasure to discuss any and all ideas with anyone interested in the type of asset class.  Cheers!

  • New to Real Estate · Bay Area / Denver · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Christoper Burley just emailed you! 

  • Northglenn, CO · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    This is a great idea!  There are so many possibilities.  Although tents aren't allowed for Airbnb right @James Carlson?  Where does a luxury tent fit in?  How about tepees?  Can you use, say canvas on a frame and call it something other than a tent?

  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2012 · 29 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Something like this?

    https://www.tigerrunresort.com/

    Been around a long time and a nice community. I think it's a mix of rental and owner occupied tiny home (Chalets), and RV park. Great location. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Matthew,

    Denver would be a great location for glamping. It is a thriving city without many glamping options. If set up and operated well, it could do very well financially.

    I saw a lot of comments about seasonality. While this is important in site selection, it is only one of many variables. Keep in mind a well run seasonal glamping hotel can bring in $1M-2M in just 5-6 months.

    -David

  • Aurora, CO · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    It is a great idea and has merit for sure. My wife and I have a travel trailer that we rent out on AirBnB whenever we arent using it. It just sits in our driveway but may as well make some money while it sits there. People definitely enjoy staying in it so on a larger scale, I see no reason it wouldnt work.

    -Don 

  • Cincinnati Ohio · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Christoper Burley & @Matt Sanders- I am interested in this project. I'd love to chat further. Emailing you both now. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Campgrounds are labor intensive . You will need maintenance staff , reservation staff , etc .  Tractors / bobcats for maintenance . They can be good money but they are a full time business .  

    We went to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach SC .  It is a small city , but the place prints money .  Its becomes the states 3rd or 4th largest "city" in the summer .  They have their own trash trucks , fire dept .  Best of all 1 mile of oceanfront . A super water park , and they rent 1500 golf carts a day in season at $55 a day .

    You can build your house on their lot and pay lot rent 

    https://www.oceanlakes.com/

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Denver actually just got a glamping property outside of Red Rocks that is catered towards that crowd. This company has a great reputation in the music, festival, event industry as a popup hotel, and has made a home for itself right outside of Denver. Their first year they were only permitted an allotted amount of days of operations. Now they are permitted to run 12 months out of the year. 

    Looks like they will be experimenting with many new developments and could probably use some assistance as they build themselves up. 

    https://www.contentmentcamping.com/red-rocks-camping.html

  • Aspen, CO · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Negomir:

    Something like this?

    https://www.tigerrunresort.com/

    Been around a long time and a nice community. I think it's a mix of rental and owner occupied tiny home (Chalets), and RV park. Great location. 

    John I believe this specific asset was recently acquired by Loge Lodges, a group out of Seattle.  They will completely turn this place around, they have a great reputation and have done well with their other assets.  Matt and I have connected and are working on a concept that you might be interested in.  Feel free to connect.  

  • Aspen, CO · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dylan Barahona:

    Denver actually just got a glamping property outside of Red Rocks that is catered towards that crowd. This company has a great reputation in the music, festival, event industry as a popup hotel, and has made a home for itself right outside of Denver. Their first year they were only permitted an allotted amount of days of operations. Now they are permitted to run 12 months out of the year. 

    Looks like they will be experimenting with many new developments and could probably use some assistance as they build themselves up. 

    https://www.contentmentcamping.com/red-rocks-camping.html

     Dylan, this looks like a pop-up but still an interesting idea, especially in that particular area.  Thank you for the heads up, always good to see new projects out there!

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    If you haven't already looked at it, the Tiny Home Cabins for rent at WeeCasa in Lyons might be a good validation of the concept / idea. They have an on-site venue for weddings, so the tiny homes they have serve as a good hotel replacement for wedding attendees and I'm sure they stay pretty booked at least during the summer:

    https://weecasa.com/

    I also think the Western Slope (especially Ridgeway) might be a pretty good spot for something like this, either the same setup (weddings / tiny homes) or something similar, the only sticking point might be having enough nearby activities. Though you could probably command a pretty good premium during ski season and Telluride festival season especially if you could provide shuttle service to/from Telluride.

    I'm brand new to REI and if anyone would like to connect to chat about things on the Western Slope please reach out!

  • Real Estate Broker · Telluride co · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 20 votes
    7y
  • Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2018 · 297 posts · 159 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt Sanders:

    The more I think about it, "micro-cabins" are probably the way to go.. or maybe even THOW's (Tiny Homes on Wheels). (Still learning about all the different zoning laws and where the holes are.)  Airstreams probably have more appeal on the West Coast than CO, also I never realized just how friggin' expensive they are! even used and needing rehab... 

    I think I've already validated the demand for the concept, I'm now focusing on networking with REI's and narrowing down the best markets/locations.

    If any one wants to bounce ideas or suggestions, feel free to PM me! 

    There is a landowner that is planning to build a lot full of "THOWs" in Co Springs. Not sure when it will be completed, but he's working on site design and permitting right now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.