Advice for someone looking to begin investing

Advice for someone looking to begin investing

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 3 votes

Hello,

I am very much interested in beginning to invest in commercial real estate and I think having a mentor would make my intro go much more smoothly and efficiently.  I have a full-time job but do not work in the profession nor do I know anyone in the field.  That said, I would really appreciate advice as how to go about finding a mentor.

Thank you,

Marc

3Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Abel CurielBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Marc Rapuano:

Hello,

I am very much interested in beginning to invest in commercial real estate and I think having a mentor would make my intro go much more smoothly and efficiently.  I have a full-time job but do not work in the profession nor do I know anyone in the field.  That said, I would really appreciate advice as how to go about finding a mentor.

Thank you,

Marc

Hello Marc,

Is there a particular type of CRE that you're looking to get involved in? Multifamily, retail, office, hospitality, etc.

Are you looking to stay local in Westchester or open to mentoring someone in nearby markets i.e. NJ, CT, Bronx/NYC?

Agreed with @Ken M. and @Drago Stanimirovic

A couple of good places to find networking events are eventbrite, meetup.com, and here on BiggerPockets. 

Lastly, welcome to the BiggerPockets forums! If you want to receive notifications each time a topic (i.e. commercial real estate) or location (i.e. New York) is mentioned in these forums, set up your keyword alerts.

All the best!

Abel

REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Rapuano:

    Hello,

    I am very much interested in beginning to invest in commercial real estate and I think having a mentor would make my intro go much more smoothly and efficiently.  I have a full-time job but do not work in the profession nor do I know anyone in the field.  That said, I would really appreciate advice as how to go about finding a mentor.

    Thank you,

    Marc

    You would probably want to start attending REIA meetings (NationalREIA.com) in you area and get to know some people. Don't fall for the expensive ones, ours are $20 a month. Once you get some knowledge and experience, you can move on to specialty groups.
  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 463 votes
    1y

    Hey Marc, great to see your interest in commercial real estate, having a mentor can absolutely accelerate your learning curve and help you avoid costly mistakes.

    Since you're not currently in the industry, one of the best ways to find a mentor is by consistently showing up where experienced investors spend time. That means joining local meetups, online forums, or REI groups in your area, and actively contributing, ask good questions, share your goals, and offer help when you can. Relationships tend to form naturally when you're genuinely engaged.

    Also, consider reaching out directly to professionals you admire, many seasoned investors are open to mentoring if they see you’re serious, respectful of their time, and willing to put in the work.

    If you ever want to chat strategy or get perspective on commercial deals, feel free to reach out.

  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Rapuano:

    Hello,

    I am very much interested in beginning to invest in commercial real estate and I think having a mentor would make my intro go much more smoothly and efficiently.  I have a full-time job but do not work in the profession nor do I know anyone in the field.  That said, I would really appreciate advice as how to go about finding a mentor.

    Thank you,

    Marc

    Hello Marc,

    Is there a particular type of CRE that you're looking to get involved in? Multifamily, retail, office, hospitality, etc.

    Are you looking to stay local in Westchester or open to mentoring someone in nearby markets i.e. NJ, CT, Bronx/NYC?

    Agreed with @Ken M. and @Drago Stanimirovic

    A couple of good places to find networking events are eventbrite, meetup.com, and here on BiggerPockets. 

    Lastly, welcome to the BiggerPockets forums! If you want to receive notifications each time a topic (i.e. commercial real estate) or location (i.e. New York) is mentioned in these forums, set up your keyword alerts.

    All the best!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Hey Marc,

    A great place to start is your existing network. Ask people you already know whether they have connections to any commercial investors — you’d be surprised how often a warm introduction comes from someone unexpected.

    From there, look for local real estate groups, events, and meetups. Sites like Meetup.com, Eventbrite, LinkedIn, and even a quick Google search can give a ton of options. Since you’re in the area, you might also want to check out events hosted by the Westchester County Investors Club: https://westchestercountyinvestorsclub.com/

    I do a lot of commercial deals myself as a broker and investor. If you want to chat, just send me a PM. I'd be happy to connect and share insights!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.