General Contractor looking for guidance and connections.

General Contractor looking for guidance and connections.

Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 4 votes

Hello! I am a long time listener of bigger pockets. I've been building for others and am finally ready to build for myself. I'm looking for guidance and connections. I live east of Sacramento closer to Folsom. I'm trying to decide if I should fix and flip houses or build new homes to sell. If there's anyone out there that can help me start moving in this direction I'd appreciate the connection. After I make some money i'll start investing long term. I imagine within a few years. Are there any builders or house flippers that can give me some advice?

3Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott ScovilleBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 497 posts · 272 votes
11mo
Quote from @Jared Bennett:

Hello! I am a long time listener of bigger pockets. I've been building for others and am finally ready to build for myself. I'm looking for guidance and connections. I live east of Sacramento closer to Folsom. I'm trying to decide if I should fix and flip houses or build new homes to sell. If there's anyone out there that can help me start moving in this direction I'd appreciate the connection. After I make some money i'll start investing long term. I imagine within a few years. Are there any builders or house flippers that can give me some advice?


 Hey Jared, I fix n' flip in Sacramento. Happy to connect. DM me anytime.

Scoville Realty & Investments LLC
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    I would think fix and flip is more of a straightforward approach for you so I'd start with that. New build has more moving parts. I would make sure your general contracting business is running well first. That should be your focus. Once you have profit sitting aside then you can start looking at deals. 

  • Scott ScovilleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 497 posts · 272 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Jared Bennett:

    Hello! I am a long time listener of bigger pockets. I've been building for others and am finally ready to build for myself. I'm looking for guidance and connections. I live east of Sacramento closer to Folsom. I'm trying to decide if I should fix and flip houses or build new homes to sell. If there's anyone out there that can help me start moving in this direction I'd appreciate the connection. After I make some money i'll start investing long term. I imagine within a few years. Are there any builders or house flippers that can give me some advice?


     Hey Jared, I fix n' flip in Sacramento. Happy to connect. DM me anytime.

    Scoville Realty & Investments LLC
  • Real Estate Broker · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2021 · 517 posts · 408 votes
    11mo

    What's up, Jared! I'm a local broker and PM in Sacramento. We invest in multifamily and vacation rental primarily. As a GC, you have a huge advantage when it comes to value-add projects. Depending on your range of experiences you can definitely leverage that into a successful career in REI.

  • Wholesaler · Virtual Market · Member since 2025 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    11mo

    Hi Jared!

    If you are looking to get into REI, start with wholesaling! That's what I'm doing. It's a way to start generating income fast. I'd love to work with you, as I am looking to wholesale in the Sacramento area. Send me a message if you are interested in connecting and seeing if we could build a business partnership. I really think we could help each other!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2023 · 189 posts · 88 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Jared Bennett:

    Hello! I am a long time listener of bigger pockets. I've been building for others and am finally ready to build for myself. I'm looking for guidance and connections. I live east of Sacramento closer to Folsom. I'm trying to decide if I should fix and flip houses or build new homes to sell. If there's anyone out there that can help me start moving in this direction I'd appreciate the connection. After I make some money i'll start investing long term. I imagine within a few years. Are there any builders or house flippers that can give me some advice?


    That’s awesome Jared — congrats on taking the leap to build for yourself! I’m a licensed realtor and investor based in California, and I work closely with builders and investors who do both fix & flips and new construction projects.

    From what I’ve seen, your decision between flipping and building often comes down to speed vs. scalability:

    • Fix & flips can get you quicker returns and experience dealing with lenders, contractors, and resale dynamics.
    • New builds take longer and require more capital upfront, but once your systems and subs are dialed in, the margins (and control) can be much higher.

    If you’re already comfortable with the building side, you might even do hybrid projects — like buying older homes on good lots, doing heavy remodels or additions, and building equity fast.

    I’d be happy to connect and share what’s been working for investors around Folsom and greater Sacramento right now. Are you mainly focused on building spec homes or looking for distressed properties to start with?

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    11mo

    Hi, thank you for the input. Since I'm just getting into this I'd like to start with improving distressed homes. Once I get some experience with finding deals and the process I can expand to other strategies. At the moment I'm practicing analyzing deals. Any help in finding deals would be greatly appreciated. Im not sure what the best method would be. 

  • Member since 2025 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    11mo

    Hi Jared! Having a construction background is a huge leg up. Building houses tend to have a higher profit margin but take quite more time than flipping. You have to understand your liquidity position and see which avenue you can afford at the moment. Whichever route you decide to take, I'm happy to connect and walk you through the process of how to get the money for your next venture.

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    11mo

    Hey Jared, most investors starting out go with the option that lowers the initial barrier to entry. In your case, fix and flips make more sense they’ll help you build capital and momentum faster so you can move toward long term investing down the road.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.