NYC First-Time Homebuyer Options 2026?

NYC First-Time Homebuyer Options 2026?

Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Greetings

Teacher, 80k income, middle aged, single - credit score 700 though looking to get to 730+, just paid off credit card debt, have student loan debt but qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness in 5 years.

What's happening with the NYC First Time Homebuyer Program for up to $100k towards downpayment?  Could this be bundled with another First Time program like SONYMA?  I have rented whole houses here in Brooklyn since 2008 so I prefer to go for a multi-family (2-3) as I have no problems with maintenance/upkeep, dealing with tenants , etc.  Could I afford it?

I see I qualify for the NYC program income-wise.  Looking in Queens, Brooklyn, SI.  Is this feasible?

3Reply
100 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @JD Ball:

    Greetings

    Teacher, 80k income, middle aged, single - credit score 700 though looking to get to 730+, just paid off credit card debt, have student loan debt but qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness in 5 years.

    What's happening with the NYC First Time Homebuyer Program for up to $100k towards downpayment?  Could this be bundled with another First Time program like SONYMA?  I have rented whole houses here in Brooklyn since 2008 so I prefer to go for a multi-family (2-3) as I have no problems with maintenance/upkeep, dealing with tenants , etc.  Could I afford it?

    I see I qualify for the NYC program income-wise.  Looking in Queens, Brooklyn, SI.  Is this feasible?


     Hello JD!

    The best way to find out what you can afford is to connect with lenders who are familiar with different grant programs. Bank of America and Chase are among the bigger banks that offer competitive grants for first-time homebuyers.

    Looking into 2-3 unit properties is a great approach.. Location will come down to what comfortably alligns with your budget. As it stands now, the Bronx and Staten Island will be your best chances for securing a small multi-family below the $1M price-point. 

    Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk Counties also have median sale prices below $1M but have much higher property taxes.

    That said, there are deals in any submarket and at any given time. You just have to be prepared and ready for the small window of opportunity that exists in seller's markets.

    All the best!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    8mo

    15 years in Brooklyn rentals - that's solid experience. Multi-family definitely makes sense when you've got the tenant management down. One thing I've noticed: the sweet spot is often 2-3 units where you can live in one and rent the others, especially with Brooklyn's rent control considerations. Are you looking at specific neighborhoods or sticking to areas you already know well?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.