From Argus Models to My Own Rentals

From Argus Models to My Own Rentals

Medellin, Colombia · Member since 2026 · 12 posts · 12 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community!

I decided to join BiggerPockets after reading “Rental Property Investing” by Brandon Turner. While I have a background in both Finance and IT (which led me into roles in real estate asset and investment management) I’m completely new to owning rental property myself.

Professionally, I’ve focused on building software solutions and performing commercial-grade real estate valuations using tools like Argus Enterprise, ReaPage Fuel, and (of course) Excel. I’ve spent years on the analytical side of real estate, mostly behind a desk, and I’m now excited to step into the ownership side and build on that foundation through real-world experience.

I’m here to learn as much as I can from this community and, hopefully, contribute where I can despite being new to direct ownership.

I’m always happy to connect and discuss markets, the broader economy, and real estate trends. I’ve also been investing in REITs for some time, and income-focused investing is a major interest of mine. My primary goal is building long-term, sustainable income through rental properties, so I’m especially interested in buy-and-hold strategies.

By the way, I’m not based in Houston (or even in the U.S.) but the forum doesn’t allow non-U.S. locations. I’m particularly interested in the Texas and Florida markets and am excited about the opportunities in the U.S. real estate space.

Looking forward to connecting with you all!

3Reply
95 views

Most Popular Reply

Homeowner · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 358 posts · 65 votes
7mo

Early on: I read, ran the numbers, drove out to see the house myself, saved for the down payment, bought it, and rented it out.

Over time, I’ve followed the same basic approach — just more efficiently. The process becomes easier with experience. Most of my focus now is on improving the condition of the properties and selecting the best tenants. The numbers tell the story every year when I prepare the data for my CPA.

It works. I just repeat the process and try to keep myself in “simple mode.”

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 358 posts · 65 votes
    7mo

    Early on: I read, ran the numbers, drove out to see the house myself, saved for the down payment, bought it, and rented it out.

    Over time, I’ve followed the same basic approach — just more efficiently. The process becomes easier with experience. Most of my focus now is on improving the condition of the properties and selecting the best tenants. The numbers tell the story every year when I prepare the data for my CPA.

    It works. I just repeat the process and try to keep myself in “simple mode.”

  • Medellin, Colombia · Member since 2026 · 12 posts · 12 votes
    7mo

    Thanks for sharing! I'm defitively looking to get there sooner than later.

  • Felipe LecarosPro Member
    Member since 2026 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    7mo

    Hi Nicolas,

    Loved your intro. With your background in Finance, IT, Argus, and valuations — you’re definitely not starting from zero. You already understand how income-producing real estate works. The shift now is just moving from analyzing deals to owning them.

    I invest 100% remotely in the U.S. from Santiago, Chile, so I know what it’s like to build this from abroad. Remote forces you to be structured — strong team, disciplined underwriting, clear cash flow targets. No improvising.

    Before buying, I’d just say: focus on fundamentals first — cash flow, market selection, financing structure, and property management. Ownership is a different game than analysis.

    If you’d like to connect, happy to jump on a quick call. No pitch — just two guys who like thinking in numbers and long-term income.

    Un abrazo,
    Felipe

  • Daniel TanasaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 351 posts · 174 votes
    7mo

    Hello Nicolas, 

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets! 

    Your analytical background in real estate will definitely help you underwrite and have trust in your numbers. Doing it remotely adds a level of difficulty in the beginning until you build your team, but with the right systems it can actually be a better way to do it. 

    If you need to bounce off ideas with a fellow investor, feel free to reach out. 

    If you're looking at any Real Estate in Houston area, I can help with local market insight also. 

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.