Newer Investor in KC

Newer Investor in KC

Investor · Kansas City, KS · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes

Hello Everybody! My name is Josh and I'm starting out my journey in REI in Kansas City. Currently sitting at 3 properties and really looking forward to expanding my portfolio. Right now I'm focused on long term rentals to build my foundation and establish cash flow but am considering Short term Rentals and house flipping in the future. Looking forward to meeting some people and learning a lot!

5Reply
173 views

Most Popular Reply

Nelson GordonPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Prairie Village KS · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 3 votes
5mo

Welcome. In KC myself. Drop me a line and would love to connect. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2026 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5mo

    Love it, Josh—great spot to be in. Getting your foundation set with long-term rentals first is the move most people wish they made early on.

    Kansas City is a solid market too—still room for cash flow if you’re buying right. As you scale, one thing I’d keep in mind is dialing in your operations early (leasing standards, maintenance controls, turn timelines, etc.). That’s what really separates people who grow clean portfolios vs. ones that get stuck managing chaos.

    Short-term and flips can definitely layer in later, but having that stable base will give you way more flexibility when you decide to branch out.

    Curious—are you self-managing right now or working with a PM?

    • Investor · Kansas City, KS · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Melissa Gambrell:

      Love it, Josh—great spot to be in. Getting your foundation set with long-term rentals first is the move most people wish they made early on.

      Kansas City is a solid market too—still room for cash flow if you’re buying right. As you scale, one thing I’d keep in mind is dialing in your operations early (leasing standards, maintenance controls, turn timelines, etc.). That’s what really separates people who grow clean portfolios vs. ones that get stuck managing chaos.

      Short-term and flips can definitely layer in later, but having that stable base will give you way more flexibility when you decide to branch out.

      Curious—are you self-managing right now or working with a PM?

       Melissa - thanks for the feedback and insight! I’m definitely trying to build the base for the next couple years and then I’ll get a little more adventurous. I do have a PM as I get started because I have a W-2 job and a family so I’m willing to give a little bit of money off the top to make my life easier!

  • Nelson GordonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Prairie Village KS · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    Welcome. In KC myself. Drop me a line and would love to connect. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Joshua Oakes:

    Hello Everybody! My name is Josh and I'm starting out my journey in REI in Kansas City. Currently sitting at 3 properties and really looking forward to expanding my portfolio. Right now I'm focused on long term rentals to build my foundation and establish cash flow but am considering Short term Rentals and house flipping in the future. Looking forward to meeting some people and learning a lot!

    Welcome to BP. There is many active FB groups in KC so I'd join those too
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 941 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Joshua Oakes:

    Hello Everybody! My name is Josh and I'm starting out my journey in REI in Kansas City. Currently sitting at 3 properties and really looking forward to expanding my portfolio. Right now I'm focused on long term rentals to build my foundation and establish cash flow but am considering Short term Rentals and house flipping in the future. Looking forward to meeting some people and learning a lot!



    You’re already ahead of the curve with 3 properties, that’s a strong base to build from. Since you’re focused on long-term rentals, the biggest jump in scale usually comes from either optimizing what you already own or expanding into markets where the numbers work a bit harder in your favor. A lot of investors in your position start comparing local deals to other Midwest markets like Ohio, where entry prices are lower, and it’s easier to stack cash-flowing doors faster without switching strategies. STRs and flips can work too, but building a stable rental base first is usually what makes everything else easier later on.

  • Investor · Kansas City, KS · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    5mo

    @Arman Ahmed - It's funny you say that... I am actually debating right now how best to continue to expand and in what markets.  As a KC-lifer, I feel safest here but there are many other markets that intrigue me.

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Joshua Oakes:

    Hello Everybody! My name is Josh and I'm starting out my journey in REI in Kansas City. Currently sitting at 3 properties and really looking forward to expanding my portfolio. Right now I'm focused on long term rentals to build my foundation and establish cash flow but am considering Short term Rentals and house flipping in the future. Looking forward to meeting some people and learning a lot!

    Hey @Joshua Oakes, welcome to the BP Forum! What kind of properties do you currently own as LTRs? I assume they're SFRs with 2-3 bedrooms? Did you do much rehab to them and do you focus on a certain area of KC?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.