Playa del Carmen or Tulum

Playa del Carmen or Tulum

Investor · Louisiana, MO · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I am considering purchasing some rental properties in Playa Del Carmen or Tulum and wondered if anyone here had any advise . I am only familiar with my local markets .  

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Marion, IA · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 27 votes
10y

We own in Tulum, nice area.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Marion, IA · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    We own in Tulum, nice area.

  • Investment & Residential Real Estate Agent · Spokane, WA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Matthew Smith Excellent post! Spent a week at Papaya Playa Project recently and LOVED it. Excited to hear how things go.
  • New to Real Estate · Brookfield, IL · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    I recently visited Playa del Carmen and Tulum for vacation. To me as a tourist, Playa felt a bit more safe and Tulum seems like it's up and coming. I guess it comes down to the risk / reward. I don't know about the real estate market down there to give any insightful advice.
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Mathew,

    I'm curious.  Why Mexico?

  • Investor · Louisiana, MO · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Raj , We are looking for a place which has scuba diving , fishing , shopping and good international schools as we plan to be living there part or full time in the future . We looked into Panama and Costa Rica as well but these things seem to be separated in these places .

  • Investor · Louisiana, MO · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    RIck , May I ask if you rent your property in Tulum and if so what is your percentage on return ?

  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Tulum, Quintana Roo · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hi Matthew,
    I would be happy to answer any questions. We - two expats from London - have purchased land and built a villa in Tulum a few years ago. We loved living there so much, and saw such a huge potential in Tulum's happening real estate that we opened our own boutique real estate/ architectural studio, Riviera Maya Property Consultants. So what I can tell you is this: Playa del Carmen is great, but when it comes to rental properties, Tulum is the place to be now, as the value of your real estate will be growing every year - just as it was in Playa 15 years ago. Playa's market is stabilized, while Tulum is on a rapid rise. We also do property management for our clients, so I would be happy to share some numbers with you regarding what you can expect to make from renting a property in Tulum. You can PM me directly. Here's a link for you to read more: Why Invest in Tulum in 2016.

    Ruta

  • Real Estate Salesperson · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    @Matthew Smith

    Did you check the Flamingo/Brasilito/Potrero area in Costa Rica? there are 3 FANTASTIC international academies that are bilingual schools as well. Also, Flamingo is building a new 191 slip marina, just completed a major fishing tournament for offshore fishing. I have personally caught 19 of 22 sailfish in one day out of flamingo as well as Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin, and other fish. There is some really good scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, and other water activities in the area along with some of the best beaches in world. ALL of this that also includes some of the safest areas in Central America, the happiest and greeniest country in the world, great medical care, solid infrastructure, and good IT services. All of these and the prices of homes in the area are not elevated as yet. They are still very reasonable. 

  • Property Manager · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    I am curious as to Mexico as well, I have been there - and don't get me wrong I am a fan. However after exploring other options I would never imagine trying to buy property in a Country where you don't truly own the property. When you buy in Mexico, as I'm sure many of you are aware, that you have to put it in a Mexican Real Estate Trust - and although its rare, there have been scenarios where the Mexican government seized property from non residents. Also I do find without the country being English speaking that creates, not a lot, but some issues. Thoughts?

  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Tulum, Quintana Roo · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Drummond:

    I am curious as to Mexico as well, I have been there - and don't get me wrong I am a fan. However after exploring other options I would never imagine trying to buy property in a Country where you don't truly own the property. When you buy in Mexico, as I'm sure many of you are aware, that you have to put it in a Mexican Real Estate Trust - and although its rare, there have been scenarios where the Mexican government seized property from non residents. Also I do find without the country being English speaking that creates, not a lot, but some issues. Thoughts?

    Mexico may NOT expropriate property from the owners under NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). The only way for Mexican government to get ownership of land is by buying it from the owners in and only in the rare case it’s needed for public purposes (such as building roads). The same process exists in the US (Eminent Domain), in the UK (Compulsory Purchase) and in Canada (Expropriation). Regarding English - in tourist towns, such as Tulum, there is always an English-speaking expat community. Many Americans live in Mexico for decades without having to speak Spanish. In my personal opinion, however, it's advisable to learn the language of the country if you plan to live there. If you are only planning to do business, English is OK, just find a local bi-lingual real estate company.

  • Real Estate Broker · Tulum, Q. Roo · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Buying tru a Bank Trust is the safest way to invest, many Mexican citizens also prefer to use a Fideicomiso because no one can seize their property, The Government  can seize your property only by Eminent Domain, same as the US and other countries, and if you pass the property is transfered to your beneficiaries without having to present a Will. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.