New Member from San Diego, CA

New Member from San Diego, CA

San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 24 votes

Hey all,

I'm Daniel Spaizman, a newbie to both Bigger Pockets and to Real Estate Investing.  I have lived in San Diego for 3 years (grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area) and am looking to move outside the comfort of a W2.  More specifically, I have a goal of using Real Estate Investing (Buy and Hold) to generate enough cash flow to move towards financial freedom.  Hoping to make my first purchase in the next 6 months!

Currently, I have great experience in engineering (power systems engineer by trade), but absolutely none in REI. I am looking to build out a network filled with quality, knowledgeable, and supportive folks and hope to return the favor.

I was informed of BP by a gentleman that I met on a flight from San Diego, CA to Oakland, CA and cannot thank him enough.  The podcasts and website, alike, are filled with awesome material for both new and seasoned investors.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and feel free to drop me a line!

-Daniel

2Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Edmond, OK · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 107 votes
9y
OKC is a great place to invest but the idea of finding turnkeys at 20-30k is a bit aggressive.
See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    9y

    Welcome Daniel. This site is treasure. The info is outstanding the networking is key. You should also think about attending a meet up in your area and an investment club too. Happy to assist and network

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    Hello Jo-Ann and Kody! Thanks for the wonderful replies. Jo-Ann, I certainly believe getting to know local investors is a wonderful idea. I know that it is highly recommended based on the first 15 podcast episodes I've listened to on BP! If you are familiar with any Southern California groups, I'd love to learn of them. Kody, San Diego certainly is an expensive place to start a real estate investing endeavor. I'm open to several locations but think I'd like to invest in the southwest (San Diego, Las Vegas, and Phoenix). I hear the market in Portland really is booming! Thank you for listing the big 6 that I should be focusing on and providing the tip in regards to management! Best, Daniel
  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    Welcome  to bigger pockets Daniel from temecula!  Working setting up a open office. Instead of a open house I'm doing an open office sometime this summer with everyone for bigger pockets to try to make a quick sale.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Edmond, OK · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    OKC is a great place to invest but the idea of finding turnkeys at 20-30k is a bit aggressive.
  • Flipper · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 51 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rocky Griffin:

    OKC is a great place to invest but the idea of finding turnkeys at 20-30k is a bit aggressive.

    Rocky, he said 20 to 30k down,  which is still somewhat possible.  But I agree with you, it is getting more difficult to find decent turnkeys for those numbers in today's OKC market.  Maybe in D or F neighborhoods it's still possible, not sure since I don't look there.

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Daniel Spaizman! This site is great for networking and getting a ton of real estate information. Best of luck!

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Daniel Spaizman I am also looking to meet local real estate investors! May be doing buy and hold investing in hemet and menifee sun city wildomar.  I am seeing foreclosures in hemet for less than 100k.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome Daniel! You sound a lot like I was. My trade/degree was engineering (aerospace), knew nothing about REI, but started digging around and now it's all I do. I also ride next to people on airplanes. Ha.

    Reach out anytime if you want to chat!

  • Rental Property Investor · USA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    I have been lurking on this site for awhile. Been just taking everything thing in. I don't even know where to begin. My brain is going to explode.
  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Quawi Hester it's amazing how much info your brain can hold I am learning so much and taking notes every day about being a land lord increasing home values there are a lot ways to make the investments better!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    Leslie Pappas Ali Boone Thanks for the warm welcome! Very much appreciated! I didn't expect this kind of response from a single forum post. I'll be doing some digging on the site and will definitely reach out when I have some solid questions :) Thanks again!! Daniel
  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Daniel Spaizman are you ever In Temecula? There is a real estate meeting on the third of next month and you're welcome to come. Be good to get a few us together.

  • Real Estate Agent · Temecula, CA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    @Robin Boyer, I am an agent in Temecula. I do work with investors here and would be interested in more information about your meeting on July 3rd. Thank you.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Reba Marabottothank you for the message my phone number is in my contact on my profile if you want to send me a message or a call and we can coordinate to try to meet that day or before thank you very much. Was just in Temecula two days ago meeting some agents.

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 664 posts · 231 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Daniel Spaizman. I'm up in Oceanside but have pretty good knowledge about the whole county. Let me know if I can help you in some way.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Daniel Spaizman

    Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    Wishing you the best!

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Daniel Spaizman I may be in the San Diego area sometime in the future we should connnect a long with Kevin and some others!

  • Real Estate Agent · Mira Mesa, CA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    @Daniel Spaizman If you want to talk MultiFamily in San Diego or Indianapolis please reach out to me.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    @Robin Boyer I plan on attending the event, @Kevin Fox mentioned on 6/24! You should join.

    @Jose Guevarra  I am definitely planning on moving toward multi-family, but think it may take me 1-2 years to get there.  Appreciate the comment and will keep you in mind.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Quawi Hester Welcome to bigger pockets I am heading to our commercial property Wednesday then off to the big real estate meeting at mission in 630 riverside. My phone number is on my profile please feel free to reach out anyone!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    @Kevin Fox ...any chance I can get more info on your meetup? I'm also new(ish) to BP/REI and looking for local networking opps in San Diego area. Getting involved with SDCIA for now. Thanks!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bruce May:

    Welcome @Daniel Spaizman. I'm up in Oceanside but have pretty good knowledge about the whole county. Let me know if I can help you in some way.

    Hi @Bruce May, I'm also a newbie and am starting to decide on which areas to look deeper into. Oceanside is on my list. Would you be able to point me to where I can find an REI's lay of the land of Oceanside? I see some areas of manufactured homes and some condos near the ocean. I've driven by once before but was unsure where to begin looking. On top of that, I'm wondering if I should look towards Mira Mesa before spending too much time in Oceanside. Any advice would be appreciated!

    -Brandon

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 664 posts · 231 votes
    9y

    I'll send you a PM with my contact info so you can call me. Might be easier that way.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    Thinking about a San Diego trip who is with me!

  • Jake ThompsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Albany, OR · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    Welcome Daniel! BiggerPockets is a great place to get information and network! There are several meetups in San Diego as well that can be very beneficial. Let us know if there is anything you need!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.