New Real Estate Investor - Portland, OR - Area

3 Replies

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris Johnson and I was born and raised in the beautiful pacific northwest, and I am looking to make a change in my life and I think that real-estate investing just may be that thing.

I have spent the better part of the last 16 years working in construction. I know a little bit about everything and am highly skilled in the carpentry / framing aspects of the trade. I currently work as a project manager / foreman for a small residential contractor in the area, but I am looking for something more.

I was turned on to BP back in April and have been excitedly looking at forums, cruising real-estate web sites looking for deals and listening to the podcasts.

For those of you in my area, what are some of the best ways to get connected? Are there local events hosted quarterly or monthly where I could find and partner up with other like minded people? Do you have any tried and true hard money investors that are local? What strategies have worked for you in the Portland Metro or even surrounding area's?

Any and all advice is welcome, Thanks for taking the time to read.

Cheers!

Chris

I would recommend you look up  Myrarebird and go to the meetings.. as an experience tradesmen not only will you find work if you need it.. but there are a few hundred members that are all engaged in Portland real estate.. Its worth the time to network with all these folks.. 

I agree with Jay, Rarebird is the best place to learn and connect.  I'm there for about half of the monthly events.  Also, these forums are great for questions and connecting with people.  There are also some Portland real estate groups on Facebook that are okay. 

@Jay Hinrichs and @Brad Hammond thanks for the shout out, greatly appreciated. 

@Christopher Johnson our market is flooded with hard money now, to the point that it's becoming more like soft money. Our next meeting on October 10th will be a vendor fair, there will be a couple lenders there with booths and probably a couple more lenders just in attendance. Come check it out, you should be able to meet some people that can help push your investment goals forward, plus you'll get some free beer and meet some interesting people. 

As far as strategies that work well. Portland is a great market for flipping and for brrrr. Cash flow can be great as well when using creative financing strategies (and brrrr), but is not so great for the more common 25% down conventional financing route. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/749092-rarebird-investor-network-fall-2019-vendor-fair

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you