Gopher Tortoise Burrow on Construction Site

Gopher Tortoise Burrow on Construction Site

Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes

Hi BP fam,

My parents recently contracted to build a home in Palm Coast, Florida. When the land was cleared, a Gopher Tortoise burrow was discovered. Since this is an endangered species, construction was halted. They were required to obtain a survey costing $500. The survey results came back with 3 burrows that are active, requiring them to obtain a permit from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Before construction can resume, the tortoises must be caught and relocated to a new habitat. The total cost quoted is $3905. We are located in New Jersey and aren't familiar with anything surrounding this topic. If anyone has dealt with this before or has any knowledge on this, I would appreciate any advice or guidance. I feel as if $3905 is a high number and that they may be getting taken advantage of, especially being that we are from out of state and they are elderly.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

0Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 173 posts · 66 votes
7y

Hey @Kevin Zolea!  I am not familiar with the price of the relocation, but I have experience relocating them as an environmental scientist for a consulting firm.  As far as I am aware, it was not cheap to remove them, but completely necessary as you know.  

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 173 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    Hey @Kevin Zolea!  I am not familiar with the price of the relocation, but I have experience relocating them as an environmental scientist for a consulting firm.  As far as I am aware, it was not cheap to remove them, but completely necessary as you know.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    Hi @Robert Kirkley thanks for the response! Being that you have experience relocating them, would you happen to know how long the process takes?

  • NJ · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Zolea I did some quick research and it seems to range a large amount. I am seeing roughly $1,000 to $3,000 for a single tortoise. I would see if you could get quotes from anyone else and compare, for sure though. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    @Tyler Drapeau Thanks for your input! Will do!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    We have had this issue before. For 3 burrows that's about what you're going to pay. I know it sounds high, but it's cheaper to evict a human tenant than a gopher tortoise. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    This is crazy . I would  insist the construction crew dynamite the area  or I’d strangle every one of those stinking  turtles myself before I’d shell out 3500$ in costs because it’s on some government list  . Truly liberalism run amuck . Sorry you are going  through this nonsense 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    $3,905 to catch 3 turtles, they're not very fast -- maybe we're in the wrong business?

    If I had 3 turtles in my yard and some one told me they wanted $3,900 to catch them I'd fall over laughing.

    Turtles are SLOW, almost like watching paint dry slow.

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 173 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Zolea The process shouldn't take too long.  The team I had worked with was able to relocate 4 tortoises in a day easily.  I just spoke with a person certified for surveying and relocating them and she said that was a fair price.  Being environmentally aware, these animals are incredibly important and need to be dealt with properly.  

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Yep, sounds about right.  We’ve had to do this on construction sites. BYW, for those who obviously are not aware, gopher tortoises live underground in burrows. They will try to catch them with a “bucket trap” for a day or two.  If not successful they have to carefully excavate the burrow with a combination backhoe, or something similar.

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    @Robert Kirkley Thank you for taking your time to ask one of your colleagues. Being an environmental scientist myself, I understand the importance of dealing with this situation properly. I just thought it was a high number, mainly because I’m not familiar with the situation! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    @Nick C. Very true. Hopefully this is the last headache my parents have to deal with!

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    @Wayne Brooks Thanks for your insight. I did not know that! In your experiences, have you had any major problems with capturing them that led to a longer and more expensive process?

  • Investor · Longwood, FL · Member since 2017 · 108 posts · 78 votes
    7y

    Welcome to Florida. It's the price you pay for living here. For you entertainment on the subject, look up a book called "Hoot" by Carl Hiaaisen. 

    Do it the right way and just relocate the tortoises. If you get stupid, the fines are astronomical here in FL and then you'll still have to relocate them anyway.

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    @Kurt Jones Thanks for the reference. I will definitely check it out! But yes I agree. We are going to handle it the right way and be done with it.

  • North Florida · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Check out this website for further info:

    https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi Kevin,I got a same situation - survey shows 2 burrows on my property. Contractor is asking $5000 per tortoise + $4000 for relocation. This is radicoluous to me.Can you, please share with me your contractor's list?
    Regards, Vlad

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    4y

    @Vlad Bakman They went through the builder to relocate them. I don't remember what company the builder ended up using but I'll ask them to look through the paperwork to see if they can find out!

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks. Yes if you can ask it could be great.

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    4y

    @Vlad Bakman I asked my parents but they couldn't find anything. I'd recommend talking about it with the builder if its a new build. They should be able to help you out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.