Investing in Florida - Short stay and long term?

Investing in Florida - Short stay and long term?

Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 2 votes

I have been looking at investing in Florida. For my research, the following seems to be the case:

Orlando initially seems to be a great place to invest. Short stay rentals can generate crazy high gross revenue. However, the fees involved with management companies are so high, that it’s impossible to make a good profit.A $50K gross revenue can easily end up as $2K net, which is pointless. 

Long term rentals seem to do better.

However, if doing long term rentals, it's probably better to consider Tampa, as the rents are higher.  This is especially the case if one purchases a multi-family home. However, as it is a developing city, one has to be vary of issues such as crime, which seem to be higher than Orlando. It might also be harder to get a good tenant. 

Is this correct? I’d love to hear opinions from people who have properties in Orlando and Tampa. What’s your experience been like.

Thanks!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

@Catherine Underwood I can't say much about the Tampa market but I can say that Orlando is a great place for long term rentals. I think the market rents are likely the same between Tampa and Orlando. There is a high demand for rentals in Orlando as this place continues to see high population growth. We will continue to see rental rate to climb over the next few years as the population continues to grow and the inventory for quality rentals get smaller and smaller. Like I said I can't speak to Tampa but if you have any questions about Orlando feel free to reach out. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Catherine Underwood I can't say much about the Tampa market but I can say that Orlando is a great place for long term rentals. I think the market rents are likely the same between Tampa and Orlando. There is a high demand for rentals in Orlando as this place continues to see high population growth. We will continue to see rental rate to climb over the next few years as the population continues to grow and the inventory for quality rentals get smaller and smaller. Like I said I can't speak to Tampa but if you have any questions about Orlando feel free to reach out. 

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes
    6y

    We debated on converting our BNBs back to long term in Tampa. 

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I have a long term rental in Tampa that is appreciating faster and the rents are higher than my comparable Melbourne properties.
    My Melbourne area short term rental is self-managed and has high occupancy.

    The newly designated Space Force base at Patrick AFB, and in migration has the Melbourne area hopping. New-build properties, engineers moving, baby boomers retiring, makes the entire stretch a good formula. I love investing on the beach line express and along the I95 corridor, as people are sticking along this transit hub. High speed rail is also on the way. 

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Hey Kerry great info, are all your properties fairly close to you?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.